Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

What the heck kind of car do you have and what super charger kit was able to double your horsepower?

It was a 2000 mustang gt. I had the motor rebuilt/stoked cammed and more, and after it was all done i tossed on a t-trim supercharger and pushed over 600rwhp to the wheels. It was almost triple the hp after it was all said and done. The car started with 225 rwhp on a mustang dyno and after it had 621rwhp.

I actually recently sold it since im planning to upgrade to a 2010+ gt500 this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There definitely will be a dramatic difference. biggrin.gif

But before jumping on it, what is your total sub budget likely to be? I would choose duals of those subs I previously mentioned over the one FV15HP. Not only can duals smooth the in room response at the primary listening position, helping to eliminate dips and nulls, but also throughout a wider listening area. Since you want this for a living room setup that is 70% music use, the duals would likely give you better room filling bass throughout.

Of course is you are willing to buy a second FV15HP later on, that go for it smile.gif

Ideally, i dont want to spend more than 2500, but i can ideally use more if its worth it. The duel sub idea actually sounds like a good one. I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'd ever want to FV15hp's, but two good 12"s might be the answer since i listen to music almost all day long. Music gets me going in the morning, gets me to workout, and clean up more often so i make sure to listen to it alot to keep me up beat.

I have another question, is it better to get a down facing sub, or a forward facing sub?

The PB12-NSD Subwoofer is a forward facing one, and the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer is a bottom facing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

That can cause some unwanted frequency response fluctuations and frequency cancellations (kind of like having two center speakers, one above and one below the TV screen). Better to put them on their suggested pedestals and then do one of two things with the 9.2 channel processing on your receiver:

1) Use another set of HTM-200's (the other two pairs for side and back channel speakers) for the height effects placed at the recommended locations higher up on the front screen wall.

2) Get another pair of CMT-340 SE's and pedestals and use them for the front wide speakers (you get a greater frequency response from front wide processing and the screen wall speakers that are coupled to the L/C/R array need to be as sonically identical as possible).

Since it's not an 11.2 channel receiver, you can't decode heights and wides and the same time... you'll have to pick which one you believe will give you the best "add-on" audio augmentation to the standard 7.1 discrete channels, which is the maximum discrete soundtrack available for Blu-ray discs.

A little info on DTS Neo:X processing.

http://www.dts.com/consumers/entertainment-audio/neox.aspx

Personally, if you're going to end up doing 9.2 decoding, I'd do the front wides for the best bang vs. buck. The newer, more advanced audio formats coming along may have different required locations for height channels, as in actually overhead... but the five front stage speakers will be pretty much the same general idea as DTS Neo:X. Saves you from having to re-wire in the future, if you don't have to. biggrin.gif

Ahh i didn't know that. So is it the receiver thats the bottle neck or the blue-rays? Right now i have 9 speakers connected to the receiver and they all work and produce sound after doing the MCACC adjustments. I'll probably just do the wide idea, or skip the wide and highs for now till i upgrade again in the future.
post #33 of 36 Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Down firing vs. forward firing does not make a difference in theory. Practically speaking, a front firing one can be damaged a bit easier. I think the down firing ones need a certain amount of clearance to sound ok. Little kids can drop toys into ports sometimes. But basically the direction of the woofer should not really make one model any better.

post #34 of 36 Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Down firing vs. forward firing does not make a difference in theory.
Down and rear firing have lower THD, as above bandwidth harmonics don't go around corners as easily as the subwoofer frequencies.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #35 of 36 Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Down and rear firing have lower THD, as above bandwidth harmonics don't go around corners as easily as the subwoofer frequencies.

Bill: Are you referring to the driver or port(s) -- or both?

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #36 of 36 Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

Ideally, i dont want to spend more than 2500, but i can ideally use more if its worth it. The duel sub idea actually sounds like a good one. I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'd ever want to FV15hp's, but two good 12"s might be the answer since i listen to music almost all day long. Music gets me going in the morning, gets me to workout, and clean up more often so i make sure to listen to it alot to keep me up beat.

I have another question, is it better to get a down facing sub, or a forward facing sub?

The PB12-NSD Subwoofer is a forward facing one, and the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer is a bottom facing one.
Ahh i didn't know that. So is it the receiver thats the bottle neck or the blue-rays? Right now i have 9 speakers connected to the receiver and they all work and produce sound after doing the MCACC adjustments. I'll probably just do the wide idea, or skip the wide and highs for now till i upgrade again in the future.

Blu-ray specs. call for up to 8 discrete channels (front L/C/R, side L/R, back L/R, and a Low Frequency Effects channel). DTS Neo:X is post-processing that extracts certain "phase audio cues" it is looking for from those channels and re-routes them to appropriate extra speakers to the left and right of the front L/C/R array or up above to height speakers. In an 11.1 DTS Neo:X encoded movie like The Expendables 2, there are 7.1 discrete channels and four Neo:X matrixed channels that the decoder can more easily identify than in a "normal" movie soundtrack. These four are then routed to the front wide and front height speakers.

A 9.2 receiver has a "dumbed down" DTS Neo:X processor that can only decode either the wides or heights, but not both at the same time.

The newer object-oriented soundtracks that should arrive with Ultra High Def. 2160p media can have pretty much any number of assigned "channels" because each discrete sound object has metadata associated with it that includes 3D height/width/depth panning cues. You tell the processor how many speakers are attached and where they're positioned in the room and the decoder then places these objects in the appropriate speakers as close to the original studio mix as possible (which could have had 64 or more speakers utilized). So, in theory, you could have multiple front speakers, and any number of side wall, back wall, ceiling, etc. surround speakers determined by the surround processor manufacturer and those sound objects could be panned to any one of the individual speakers.

So far, there are two main competing object oriented formats: Dolby Atmos (in select theaters now) and DTS Multi-Dimensional Audio. Atmos, as an example, can have upwards of 64 assignable "channels."

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page