Need Help taking my 5.1 to 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm looking to improve on my 5.1 to 7.1, but there is a specific goal in mind. I'm solely looking for improved mid range out of the two additional speakers that I want to add. The goal is to play compressed soundtracks using my home theater setup for karaoke. I've already purchased a separate mixer amp and PA system for the live vocals to avoid destroying my home theater speakers.

Currently I'm using a Yamaha RX-V673 with only 5.1 using Mirage nano sat speakers and a klipsch dw12 for a subwoofer. I love my system for its intended home theater purpose but the mid range "thump" is missing when it comes to music. The subwoofer is forced to work harder to make up for the lack of this missing "thump". Can anyone offer up some speakers that might solve this mid range dilemma?

Thanks,

Ivy4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking about adding a pair of Cs10's to bring out that lower mid range. These two additional speaker will likely only get used for music because of placement and they don't match my set.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Or a single BIC PL-28...hmm...
post #4 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 263
So, you're wanting to use these new speakers as the FRONT Left and Rights?

If you're looking to improve the musicality of your system... you'll want a new set of matching Left/Center/Right's then later on replace the current Mirage Nano speakers (switched to surround duties) with the same brand and model line to match everything up as best as possible.

You'll probably want a larger set of speakers too so they can handle more mid-range and mid-bass frequencies.

What budget can you safely play with? And it needs to be a little flexible.

The speakers you mentioned are horizontal center channel models and probably aren't much better than what you have now.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm under the impression that when i have an analog stereo signal coming into my receiver from my laptop and the receiver is set to 7 channel stereo its just dumping two channels across my speakers.

If that's how the signal is being distributed then I just want to add two additional speakers to my 5.1 that will help fill in my missing low-mid range. I really need something mountable because I'm completely out of floor space.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and for a budget probably $500 for a pair of something. These new speaker are not an audiphile setup. It's for blaringly loud karaoke soundtracks that are missing the mid range thump.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Try these on for size and place them in the front as the main speakers (they get the emphasis even with most post-processing modes): biggrin.gif

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

or

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

You'd even want to base a nice, modest theater system around them too! Kill two birds with one stone.

Might as well get clean sound along with the loudness. smile.gif

post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Try these on for size and place them in the front as the main speakers (they get the emphasis even with most post-processing modes): biggrin.gif

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

or

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

You'd even want to base a nice, modest theater system around them too! Kill two birds with one stone.

Might as well get clean sound along with the loudness. smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions! I read some reviews on those CMT-340 SE's and wow...sounds like a great pair of speakers for the money. For those do you have any recommendation on mounting brackets? I guess I can search around for some generic bracket, but was curious if you audiophiles prefer some specific bracket when not using the floor stands.

Do you think it's O.K. to keep my nanosats as my surrounds? Will the CMT-340 SE's as my mains fit in with that combo? Should boost the heck out of the mid range for my movies lol.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Geez the more I read about those speakers I want the 170's for my surrounds too...LOL
post #10 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The Pinpoint AM-40 mounts on Amazon would work fine if you're wall mounting the CMT-340's, but the TP-24 stands would be the better option (so you get more bass and are sturdier if you fill them with dry sand). Just use a little Blu tac on the clamps and bottom of the bracket, and then use an eye-bolt screwed into the mount thread on the back of the CMT-340. Run a very short safety cable from the mount through the eye bolt for extra security since the speakers are a bit top heavy. Do not tilt the wall mounts!!!

The Pinpoint AM-15 center bracket can hold the CMT-340 center on the wall, if you must do it this way.

If you want Ascend surrounds, go with the HTM-200 SE's instead (in the same model line), they're easier to mount and don't have a rear port, so you can get them closer to the wall.

They're great little speakers! Play loudly and cleanly too. smile.gif

CMT-340's on TP-24 stands.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hey just an update. I had to downgrade my purchase to a pair of the 170's. They came today and just wow...what an improvement. For their size I'm amazes at the quality of bass.

I'm quite interested in replacing my center with a 170 at some point...or maybe a 200.

Thanks for the awesome recommendation!
post #12 of 12 Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy4 View Post

Hey just an update. I had to downgrade my purchase to a pair of the 170's. They came today and just wow...what an improvement. For their size I'm amazes at the quality of bass.

I'm quite interested in replacing my center with a 170 at some point...or maybe a 200.

Thanks for the awesome recommendation!

No problemo! Enjoy. biggrin.gif

Perhaps in a little while you can get three CMT-340's across the front and put the 170's to surround duties.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page