DSX 11.2 speaker recommendation specifics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All:

First, amazing knowledge in this room, I appreciate it. I have a companion thread covering the build of my DSX 11.2 CIH theater, but wanted dedicated speaker guidance. I have an 8hx18wx24l room with a 158" screen excellence 2:35 AT screen and have listened to many speakers at all price points. Fell in love with Sonus Faber Veneres but not sure exactly what setup would be best. Leaning toward the Marantz AV8801, with TBD amps,

Should I:
-get 3 venere 3.0 LCR (concerned they only sell them in matched pairs) with 4 2.0 bookshelfs (wides and side surrounds) and 4 1.5 bookshelfs (heights and back surrounds) and wait on the 2 subs
- step down to venere 2.5 LCR and 1.5 for all other (saves $3k) and get dual sealed 15" subs (thinking SVS) right away
-get 2.0 or 1.5 bookshelfs for all 11 speakers (concerned about midrange soundstage as I seem sensitive to the gap between the sub)
-something different I haven't thought of?

Attached is the room diagram, thanks in advance to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 14
Go with your first option, (matching LCR will be worth it in the long run) then save up and look into Power Sound Audio for a quad sub setup...go big and do it right the first time. Don't cut corners trying to save money, get what you want the first time. Minimizes buyers remorse...2 cents biggrin.gif
post #3 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Took your wise advice! No regrets later...white Sonus Faber Veneres (3-3.0 floorstanders for LCR, 4-2.0 bookshelfs for wides and sides, 4-1.5 bookshelfs for heights and rears) sonus stands for all the bookshelfs, rogue audio atlas Magnum tube amp for L&R and 2-5150 butler 5 channel tube hybrid amps for the rest.

That should keep buyers remorse at bay! Thx man
post #4 of 25 Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 AM

WOW! Congrats! Those are very nice, love the white. Nice amps as well man. We expect pics and your impressions!

I think you really made a great choice and should not have to worry about second guessing your purchase at all. Now, let us know what you do for the subs...

I know I wasted alot of money going thru subs before finally being satisfied...
post #5 of 25 Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am waiting for 2 TC Sounds sealed 18" subwoofers coming soon. Hearing incredible things about the perf of that driver. Thoughts? Any other options for tight sealed subs with my faber and tubes for 60% movies/40% music? I cannot stand boomy or ported bass, need tight clean and powerful. Ported does not fit that bill IMHO. I am also not a fan of 4 subs so I need two musical powerhouses.

Thx
post #6 of 25 Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasswaiting View Post

I think I am waiting for 2 TC Sounds sealed 18" subwoofers coming soon. Hearing incredible things about the perf of that driver. Thoughts? Any other options for tight sealed subs with my faber and tubes for 60% movies/40% music? I cannot stand boomy or ported bass, need tight clean and powerful. Ported does not fit that bill IMHO. I am also not a fan of 4 subs so I need two musical powerhouses.

Thx

Well, I am biased about subs, but I own dual chase SS18.1's with dual Dayton amps. They have ended my search for the ultimate bass. I am the same as you in that I had to have sealed subs. I listen to music almost 50% of the time and ported subs just wasn't getting it for me.

Sealed rythmics are also very good for music, at least that's what others have said. Check out data-bass.com for a list of tested subs...hope that helps. smile.gif

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems
post #7 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quick poll based on Sierra Mike's comment. Can I drop to a 7.2 setup and lose the back surrounds and heights and still have a great experience?

I can save a bucketload of money. I am worried that Faber doesn't make dipole surrounds, if I lose the back surrounds I was concerned my sides would be too directional. Could I use bookshelfs to mimic dipoles by pointing one set forward (sides) and one backward (back) and would XT32 correct for this to make it work?

I put the 11.2 order on hold for a few days to get some thoughts here.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Do you want dipoles? Since there is more and more movies out there mixed in discrete 7.1 then I would think monopoles would be a better choice. Well, for me anyway. Have you thought about it?

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #9 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I like monopoles but both audyssey and THX recommend dipoles, has this changed?
post #10 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

use dipoles for Surround and Surround Back, if you want, but full spectrum speakers for Heights and Wide as they get sent full spectrum material...

my question is do I need to use DIPOLES for Surround and Surround Back, or, are full spectrum speakers just as good? or better?

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #11 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

The problem with dipoles and bipoles is that they have poor ON-axis response, and also generally if they are on the side-walls then part of the sound you hear from them is refleted from the front- which is why I prefer monopoles. Movies are mixed with monopoles. Real theaters use monopoles. Just some food for thought.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Horn speakers are used by theaters, too .....

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #13 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Real theaters use monopole arrays with large distances to core seating positions, not relevant to a small home theater. I am going to do a real test, order both and return the losers.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Think I'll try 1 set of dipoles in Surround, rotating to Surround Back, continue to use monopoles for Height & Wide. Real theaters also have lots of reflected sounds, sTimulated in HT by dipoles.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #15 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Real theaters don't have a lot of reflected sound. They put all of the acoustic dampening material everywhere to tame all the reflections..

post #16 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
If you're thinking about the future of audio... it looks like multiple monopoles with greater frequency range are the best option. Both Dolby Atmos and DTS MDA professional recommendations suggest that the surround effects can now easily be full frequency and even have surround channel subwoofer outputs.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #17 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Although I wonder what the point of surround subs would be since bass is basically omnidirectional.

post #18 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Interesting. Although I wonder what the point of surround subs would be since bass is basically omnidirectional.

But limited in range?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #19 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

use dipoles for Surround and Surround Back, if you want, but full spectrum speakers for Heights and Wide as they get sent full spectrum material...

my question is do I need to use DIPOLES for Surround and Surround Back, or, are full spectrum speakers just as good? or better?

What do you mean by full spectrum speakers and material? Heights and wides are not discrete channels in the source, they are matrixed by A/V receivers, SSP's, etc. whereas side and rear surround (depending on if the sound track is 7.1) are true discrete channels from the source. If we talk percentages then the surround backs would still be a matrixed pair most of the time due to the limited number of 7.1 releases. All discrete channels are capable of having full bandwidth signals and matrixed channels like heights and wides should also allow for full bandwidth unless for some reason the receiver/SSP is delibertly frequency limiting them which is probably unlikely.

post #20 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Read that somewhere; will try to find the ref when I am not on an iPhone. But, makes NO Differ to me, as I am going to use ALL regular speakers. Do have 1 set of Surround to replace, along with others.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #21 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

from the Audyssey DSX WEBSITE:

Speaker type

Audyssey DSX synthesizes both direct and ambient content for the Wide and Height speakers and so the speakers need to be direct radiators and not dipoles.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #22 of 25 Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's subwoofer buying time. Question for the group: 2 SVS SB13s or 2 Seaton Submerssive F2s? Which is a better match for my room/speakers with 50/50 HT/music?
post #23 of 25 Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The Seatons will be louder and dig lower, but I think the SVS would be a bit better for music. They're both great subs. See if you can get a listen to both and decide for yourself.

post #24 of 25 Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The Seatons will be louder and dig lower, but I think the SVS would be a bit better for music. They're both great subs. See if you can get a listen to both and decide for yourself.
I'm not sure why you think the SVS would be "a bit better for music." My Submersives have the best musical sound quality of any subs I've ever heard. They have equivalent sound quality to my previous JL Audio F112's, which are commonly viewed as excellent musical performers. In addition, the Submersives have been the musical favorite at all the recent GTG's. I'm not saying anything negative about the SVS for music. I'm sure it's a great sealed sub, and I have no doubt it will sound very good for music. I'm just questioning that it will be "better" than a Submersive for music. If it were "as good" that would be a huge accomplishment.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #25 of 25 Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That's why I said " I think". I wasn't sure. And also why I suggested he listen to both before making up his mind. They're both great products.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page