Speaker Placement and Type Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have never been satisfied with the sound in our "den". It is part of the kitchen and eating area (one big room). The den itself is 13' wide and about 12' from speakers to sofa. I'm not really trying to fill the whole space, just the den area.
There is a "natural" place for the speakers in the built-in cabinets. Speaker wire was run behind built in. I've currently got some not so great Infinity's in there. I tried putting my better Polk RT35i's in there and while better, still not getting wide range I'd like. I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR603x for my receiver. We have another room for our movie viewing.

Is there anything I should do to improve this setup? I use it for music and a TV in the cabinet. I'd like to use the space up there, and not have floor speakers if that can work. I'd appreciate some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 53

Putting speaker in cabinets is never the best idea.   Funny thing as bookshelves were never meant to be on a bookshelf.  If you are putting them in that space the best you can do is fill that space in the cabinet with foam or other absoribing material.  Bring the speaker to the front and angle them toward the listening area.  Then cover that opening with an acoustically transparent cloth like speaker grill material.  I would remove the speaker grills if you do this.

At a minimum bring them to the very front and angle them down towards the listening area.  A better sounding speaker will help but can't overcome a less than ideal placement of the speakers.  I can undrestand not wanting speakers on stands or towers in that room you'll just have to live with some tradeoffs.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Putting speaker in cabinets is never the best idea.   Funny thing as bookshelves were never meant to be on a bookshelf.  If you are putting them in that space the best you can do is fill that space in the cabinet with foam or other absoribing material.  Bring the speaker to the front and angle them toward the listening area.  Then cover that opening with an acoustically transparent cloth like speaker grill material.  I would remove the speaker grills if you do this.

At a minimum bring them to the very front and angle them down towards the listening area.  A better sounding speaker will help but can't overcome a less than ideal placement of the speakers.  I can undrestand not wanting speakers on stands or towers in that room you'll just have to live with some tradeoffs.
Thanks BobL.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the tips on reworking the cabinet. I will definitely consider that. Would I fill just the back of the cabinet up to the speaker with this material or the back and the side as well? I just angled them in a bit and that helped. The 'boomy' sound generated in the cabinet is pretty frustrating. Wife probably won't go for floor models.
I typically reduce bass and crank up the treble to try and compensate.
Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrywillis View Post

Thanks BobL.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the tips on reworking the cabinet. I will definitely consider that. Would I fill just the back of the cabinet up to the speaker with this material or the back and the side as well? I just angled them in a bit and that helped. The 'boomy' sound generated in the cabinet is pretty frustrating. Wife probably won't go for floor models.
I typically reduce bass and crank up the treble to try and compensate.
Thanks again.

Top, back, and sides of the cabinet, at least.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page