Which Speaker Setup Is Better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to pull the trigger on one of theses within the nest few days. The PSB system is about $300 higher, which I am prepared to pay if the quality is worth the money. Have not decided on the receiver yet. Feedback please?

Sub Klipsch RW-12d
Towers Klipsch RF-82 II
Center Klipsch RC-62 II
Rear Ceiling Klipsch CDT-3650-C

Sub PSB Sub Series 200
Towers PSB Image T6
Center PSB Image C5
Rear Ceiling PSB CW80R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 792
What made you decide on these two setups?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

I went to a local audio shop and they recommended the PSB setup. And I saw the Klipsch sub on sale and heard it was a really good deal, so I thought I would do a Klipsch setup also.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I am open for other recommendations around the same price range. Thanks.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 792
What's your total budget for speakers and a sub?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Why would you want ceiling speakers for the surrounds? That's only a location of last resort. Those are not overhead, Voice-of-God channels (that might happen in a future audio format, but not currently). It'll skew the audio mix.

Room pics can help with placement.

Of the two setups, I would personally go with the PSB's. Klipsch speakers, especially their lower level models, can be harsh, harsh, harsh... which would lead to an early onset of listening fatigue.

Drop the PSB sub. There are quite a few internet direct companies far superior for the money.

And yes, what is your guestimated budget for your speakers/sub package? You'll find that it should be a little flexible.

How large is your room? Is it open to other rooms (must take that into consideration for total square footage... sound waves do not stay put), or will it be a dedicated space?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #7 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

The reason for the ceiling speakers is the family room opens to the kitchen. No back wall to place rear speakers. The budget is around $2000, $2300 on the high end of the budget.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1derful View Post

The reason for the ceiling speakers is the family room opens to the kitchen. No back wall to place rear speakers. The budget is around $2000, $2300 on the high end of the budget.

Any place to put them as side surrounds on the side walls, rather than back surrounds in the ceiling? Doesn't sound like you can easily do 7.1, but 5.1 only would place the surround speakers differently. And, with the right receiver, you could do front wide or front height speakers to help augment the sound.

Does that budget include the receiver and the Blu-ray player (and anything else), or do you have a separate budget for those? Do you need help picking those out too?

Are you thinking of playing mostly movies, music, or a little of both?

post #9 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Have you considered stands for your rear speakers?

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #10 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

The budget is just for the speakers. Nowhere to put speakers on the sides. Not both rear sides. Don't really want speaker stands in the rear. Mostly movies and music also. About 75% movies.

I am thinking about the Pioneer VSX 70 for the receiver. But open for suggestions.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Family Room Layout.jpg 38k .jpg file

The setup is going in to the great room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Room Layout.jpg (38.0 KB, 10 views)
post #12 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Considering that surround channels usually only carry ambient or effects sounds, in-ceiling speakers aren't that bad as surrounds. Klipsch actually has a bunch of in-ceiling speakers, it's worth taking a look at some of them here. Some of these guys take the surround channels too seriously. Anyway, neither the PSB or Klipsch systems would be my pick for $2k, chiefly because the subwoofers in both systems are not too great. If you have to buy from your dealer, one thing you might consider is taking the Klipsch system, knock down the RF-82s to RB-81s and upgrade the sub to a Klipsch SW-115, I think that would be an improvement. If you can tear yourself away from you dealer, you might look at front stage speakers from Arx, HTD Level Three, Hsu, or Ascend. Get your sub from Rythmik, Hsu, or Power Sound Audio for some real bang for the buck.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I do not have to buy from the local dealer. I priced out an HTD Level Three setup:

Sub HTD Level THREE Powered Subwoofer
Towers HTD Level THREE Tower Speakers
Center HTD Level THREE Center
Rear Ceiling HTD HD-R80 High Definition In-Ceiling

It came in about $800 less than the PSB and $500 less than the Klipsch. Never heard of HTD before today though. I'm that doesn't really mean anything. I just want to only do this once, and make sure I have a quality system that will sound great for a long time.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I do not have to buy from the local dealer. I priced out an HTD Level Three setup:

Sub HTD Level THREE Powered Subwoofer
Towers HTD Level THREE Tower Speakers
Center HTD Level THREE Center
Rear Ceiling HTD HD-R80 High Definition In-Ceiling

It came in about $800 less than the PSB and $500 less than the Klipsch. Never heard of HTD before today though. I'm that doesn't really mean anything. I just want to only do this once, and make sure I have a quality system that will sound great for a long time.

As others have said, drop that sub and go ID...you can take the savings from the above HTD (nothing wrong with this for the money) speakers and put it towards a nice powerful sub from Power Sound Audio or Rythmic Audio. Get the best, most powerful sub you can afford. If you don't do it now, you may experience some buyers remorse later. I've been there and wasted alot of money...it's not fun.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend this sub, dual 15", should keep you happy for awhile...many happy owners here.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30
post #15 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Good advise. Am I sacrificing any quality going with the HTD vs PSB? I don't mind paying for the PSB (with a better sub) if the quality is worth the money.

Also, any recommendations on a receiver in the $550 to $650 range?
post #16 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Good advise. Am I sacrificing any quality going with the HTD vs PSB? I don't mind paying for the PSB (with a better sub) if the quality is worth the money.

Also, any recommendations on a receiver in the $550 to $650 range?

I hear HTD owners and PSB owners are happy with their purchase. I haven't heard either, just make sure they both have a decent return policy, free shipping both ways if possible, like SVS I believe and aperion does. You may look at these for $950 a pair...or check out the rest of their line up. Not to add to the confusion, but Aperion seems to have a huge following, check the owners thread. Plus if you don't like them, it cost you nothing to send them back...
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5t-tower-speaker

As for a receiver, whatever you do...I highly recommend a receiver with Audyssey Multi XT32 (not just XT) like this one below...read up on it. Multi XT32 was the best thing I ever did for my setup...I also highly recommend refurbished as well. Save a ton of money and same warranty. Accessories4less has a good reputation as well.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR818/Onkyo-TX-NR818-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
post #17 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have Costco's in your state... call around and look for one with the Pioneer SC-1522-k in stock. Best bang for the buck right now. Only $599!!

Make sure the ceiling speakers have aim-able drivers (or at least the tweeters), so they hit the primary seating location.

Check out this basic diagram:

If you only do 5.1, side speakers at the 110 degree locations are probably best.

Also, if you have room, you could wall mount the side surrounds. That would be my first choice.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

If you have Costco's in your state... call around and look for one with the Pioneer SC-1522-k in stock. Best bang for the buck right now. Only $599!!

+1
post #19 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Just checked with Costco, they do not have that unit available in my area yet. The closest one that has the item is 250 miles away. So, is the verdict the PSB system (with better sub) or the HTD (with the better sub) for about $800 less.

Again, I am willing to pay the $800 for the PSB if the difference in quality is worth the money.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

If you look at the HTD return policy, I'd say it would be a no brainer to at least try them out in-home for 30 days. They'll refund at least most of the return shipping.

However, you should also look at Aperion Audio (shipping both ways), especially their Verus line. And Ascend Acoustics.

Some say that those are better internet direct companies and models, by comparison, than HTD.

Another would be SVS Ultra Speakers @ Svsound.com (shipping both ways)

Well respected ID companies in their own right.

Might get more for your money than the PSB Image line.

Are you averse to wall mounting your side surround speakers?

post #21 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Can't and don't want to wall mount side speakers. Looks like the SVS is out of my budget. I am try to stay around the $2000 range for front towers, center, rear ceilings and sub? The PSB is slightly over the $2K budget, but I am willing to pay if the quality is that much better than the HTD.

Is there a better setup available for under $2K?
post #22 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't and don't want to wall mount side speakers. Looks like the SVS is out of my budget. I am try to stay around the $2000 range for front towers, center, rear ceilings and sub? The PSB is slightly over the $2K budget, but I am willing to pay if the quality is that much better than the HTD.

Is there a better setup available for under $2K?

The best thing you could possibly do is try any one of the suggestions we've come up with in your own home. This is all very subjective. Most, if not all, of these internet companies will pay for shipping both ways if you're not satisfied.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page