Best 5.1 HT on a budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After getting some good feedback on in-ceiling speakers, I have decided not to go with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Instead I will look for nice floor standing or bookshelves for L and R.

My wife has only allowed a $3k budget since it is not the main media room smile.gif. The living is a 17'X20' with an open kitchen 13'X19'. I am attaching some pics. As you can see it is quite an open space. I think I will have to stick with in-wall for rear since there is not space for floorstanding.

This is what I am thinking -

Denon AVR E-400 = $599 The big advantage over Onkyo 818 is price, does not heat up, and allows additional "different zone" for 2 other speakers that I can use in the kitchen.

SVS subwoofer < $600

Rest for speakers ~ $ 1,800.

Space on the right of the fireplace on the wall will be the TV mounting.
photo 1.JPG 63k .JPG file

From the kitchen island. Distance about 17 feet but the couch will be about 10-12 feet from the TV.
photo 2.JPG 73k .JPG file

This is taken from where the TV will be mounted and this image shows the rear and view of the open kitchen.
photo 3.JPG 76k .JPG file

Any thoughts and suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (62.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (72.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (76.3 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

bumping up. Any suggestions on my budget?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You can get a Denon aVR-3312CI for $599 refurbished from Accessories4less. I'd take that over the E-400.

For that large of a room you would probably want a couple subs. One is a good start, but soon enough you'll want more.

Is that $1800 for the front three speakers or for all speakers? You can pick up a pair of Focal Chorus 814V for $799 a pair with matching center for $350. These are great speakers from what I hear and the low price simply makes it better. They do seem to be sold out at the moment.

You can always pick up two Kef Q900's for $629 each, and match with the center for $450. This is also a beast of a combination and almost a steal at the price.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that suggestion. I will check out accesorries for less. But my budget is unfortunately $1800 for all 5 speakers frown.gif There were few B&Ws I thought might work out but I respect KEFs a lot too...
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post

Thanks for that suggestion. I will check out accesorries for less. But my budget is unfortunately $1800 for all 5 speakers frown.gif There were few B&Ws I thought might work out but I respect KEFs a lot too...

How about the Kef Q700 pair with a Q200 center speaker? For $1330. Still an awesome system, one that I wanted to buy but ultimately went for different bookshelf speakers. Should leave plenty of money for a pair of in-walls for your rears.

Can always go with some Wharfedales. I currently have a pair of Diamond 10.2's with matching center and they're awesome. Really great to look at as well. Pure bonus. A pair of Diamond 10.4's with matching center would sound great. Or if you want to up the budget a bit you could get the 10.5's for an even better set.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

How about the Kef Q700 pair with a Q200 center speaker? For $1330. Still an awesome system, one that I wanted to buy but ultimately went for different bookshelf speakers. Should leave plenty of money for a pair of in-walls for your rears.

Can always go with some Wharfedales. I currently have a pair of Diamond 10.2's with matching center and they're awesome. Really great to look at as well. Pure bonus. A pair of Diamond 10.4's with matching center would sound great. Or if you want to up the budget a bit you could get the 10.5's for an even better set.

Those are some awesome suggestions... I was also looking at B&W CCM663 for rear speakers. I really liked B&W as well but I will be visiting Magnolia again this week to hear some of my music to see what I like.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page