yamaha auto calibration issue??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
weezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my current set up
yamaha RX-V867 receiver
yamaha NS-555 floor standing speakers 30 Hz - 35 kHz
yamaha NS-C444 center speaker 55 Hz - 35 kHz
sony SAVE367T satellites for surround 26-27,000 Hz
SVS 20-39pci subwoofer
yamaha YST-SW315 subwoofer

i have a 7.2 set up
but using 5.2ch +bi amp for now

when i run the ypao (auto calibration) it sets my fronts to large (even without bi amp)
why is this???
is it safe to leave them on large???
and if so....is my front speakers capable of that load???
and it also sets the distance of sub of by at least 2ft more than it should???
will that effect the sound in some way???
weezz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 178
It's very common for ypao and other room correction software to set the fronts to large.

Since you have a subwoofer, go in and change them to small.
KidHorn is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I ran into the same problem when trying to set up my new Klipsch rw-12D sub (rx-a720 with B&W 684's). Ypao kept setting speakers to large, which takes the sub out of the equation for all except the lfe channel. Setting the speakers to small engages the sub for your 2 channel music sources. After playing around with various settings I ended up manually setting speakers to large AND enabling the subwoofer (double bass). In my situation this seemed to open up the whole sound stage. I know this is generally frowned upon, but for me it works.
crn3371 is online now  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
leave them large if you like...its not going to hurt them by anymeans. I suggest playing around with your setup and see what works best.
basshead81 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
weezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thx for the fast replies
and srry for my late response
but i talk to yamaha and they said in there words....
"Yes, I would set them to Large, that is what they are designed for."
so i tried them out (not extensively yet) and my results so far are mixed
like the bass for instance seem less dynamic (if im making sense) or cut off by half??? i wonder why....
im still tweaking around it sense im new to that....
any suggestions???
weezz is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
weezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

I ran into the same problem when trying to set up my new Klipsch rw-12D sub (rx-a720 with B&W 684's). Ypao kept setting speakers to large, which takes the sub out of the equation for all except the lfe channel. Setting the speakers to small engages the sub for your 2 channel music sources. After playing around with various settings I ended up manually setting speakers to large AND enabling the subwoofer (double bass). In my situation this seemed to open up the whole sound stage. I know this is generally frowned upon, but for me it works.

how was the sound experience from small to large
can you explain further in more detail please
any pros and cons
weezz is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
All I can do is suggest you play with the various settings and do what sounds best to you, in your listening envionment. Play around with large/small, crossover setting, extra bass. I know the general thinking is to set your speakers to small and to let the sub do the heavy lifting, but for me, on 2 channel music, I just didn't like the way it sounded. The 684's which normally have a full, rich sound, sounded really constricted when set to small. Setting them full range and enabling the sub to augment the low's seemed to sound best to me. I'm still going to play with the settings just to see if maybe going back to the small setting and lowering the crossover down to 40hz gives me the same sound.
Edit :
Thinking double bass is a little too bloated sounding. Currently running small, crossover at 60hz
crn3371 is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Wattser93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezz View Post

thx for the fast replies
and srry for my late response
but i talk to yamaha and they said in there words....
"Yes, I would set them to Large, that is what they are designed for."
so i tried them out (not extensively yet) and my results so far are mixed
like the bass for instance seem less dynamic (if im making sense) or cut off by half??? i wonder why....
im still tweaking around it sense im new to that....
any suggestions???

If the speakers are set to large and "extra bass" is off, then the bass is being sent to the towers and not the sub. You can either turn on extra bass and have the towers and sub play the same bass, or you can set the towers to small and have the bass below the crossover frequency sent to the sub.

Wattser93 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
weezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

If the speakers are set to large and "extra bass" is off, then the bass is being sent to the towers and not the sub. You can either turn on extra bass and have the towers and sub play the same bass, or you can set the towers to small and have the bass below the crossover frequency sent to the sub.
your sooooo right on that
changing those settings now....
i didnt notice at 1st till my sub was going on stby after awhile!!!!
i am still tweaking it out
now trying to find the right crossover.....
since my fronts frequency response is 30 Hz - 35 kHz
should i set that to 40hz or 60hz??? or just leave it at 80hz because of my surrounds???
i know im suppose to "trust my ears" but some suggestions is always welcomed!!!!
weezz is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
weezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

All I can do is suggest you play with the various settings and do what sounds best to you, in your listening envionment. Play around with large/small, crossover setting, extra bass. I know the general thinking is to set your speakers to small and to let the sub do the heavy lifting, but for me, on 2 channel music, I just didn't like the way it sounded. The 684's which normally have a full, rich sound, sounded really constricted when set to small. Setting them full range and enabling the sub to augment the low's seemed to sound best to me. I'm still going to play with the settings just to see if maybe going back to the small setting and lowering the crossover down to 40hz gives me the same sound.
Edit :
Thinking double bass is a little too bloated sounding. Currently running small, crossover at 60hz
bloated sounding???
like unatural/not clear???
and how is now that you changed it???
weezz is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off