Budget 3.0 speaker recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the Pioneer SC-1522-K, 1 Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer, 2 Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker.
Pioneer says the receiver will work with just 2 stereo speakers, but using at least 5 speakers is recommended.
Therefore, I am looking for 3 speakers, L/C/R, that will complement the Arx A1b and the Klipsch subwoofer.
My budget is $200. My family won't let me spend any more than that. I would really appreciate your recommendations on what speakers in this budget range that I can add to my setup.

In the meantime I'm searching through the Speaker forum to see what speakers have been recommended to others with a similar budget in the past.

50% music and 50% movies/TV.

Thank you all very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I think you know what I'm going to say... biggrin.gif

Save up and get more matching Arx speakers when you can. There just aren't good options in the $200 range for all three front speakers... which are absolutely the most important speakers you can get and should be timbre matched and robust. The Arx monitors you have currently would best them handily.

Don't waste your money on mismatched junk.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
+1

Another option might be to use your $200 to purchase a center speaker for your two Arx A1b's (use as LR mains). This would give you a very nice 3.1 setup for both HT and music.

If you have the space (13.8" high) a third A1b is $170.

The Arx A2c (the matching center for the A1b) is $209.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
^^^^^^

+1 Just get a matching center for now.

Afro GT
post #5 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 14
I agree with the above. Your best options, as I see it, are:

1. Just be fine with the 2.1 setup you have.

2. Buy an A1b for a center and be fine with 3.1

3. Wait for the A2c to come out for $209 and get that, and be find with a 3.1 setup

4. Save your $200 up until you have $469 and buy 3 A1b and have a 5.1 setup.

5. Save your $200 up until you have $509 and buy 2 Ab1 and an A2c and have a 5.1 setup.

It would not be wise to spend $200 on three frontstage speakers and put the A1b as surrounds.
It would not be wise to spend $200 on surrounds and a center and put your A1b as L/R mains.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Buy the single Arx A1b and use it as a center, rotate the tweeter so it is horizontal if you can't use it standing up. Save up later for cheaper surrounds, but I would not move the Arx speakers to surrounds and use cheap speakers across the front as LCR. Thats totally backwards, cheap speakers would be ok for surrounds just keep Arx across the front.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Liked: 14
I just thought if two more possible ways to go about it:

6. Buy a single a1b for $169 for the center. Save up a bit more and buy a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers for surround. (Personally I do not like to mix and match with surrounds, but many claim it is not a big deal. And you have a budget issue here. ). The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers can usually be found on sale for $80-$100 for the pair. That would make it only about $250, so just a smudge over $200.

7. If you can still return that 1522k, maybe you should. Personally, I really like the 1522k, but spending $600 on an AVR and so little on speakers is not the way to go. You can get a refurbished Denon 1913 for around $300. Take back the 1522k, buy a Denon 1913, that will give you $500 ($300 from avr switch and your $200 budget), then take that $500 and do option 4 or 5 from my post above.

If you can somehow manage options 4 or 5 without taking the 1522k back, those are the best. But if you cannot do that, then IMO, option 7 is your best bet.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep the receiver, but just save up for more Arx speakers to get a matching set. Easy. biggrin.gif

post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I would get the Arx A2c, the matching center for the A1b, while I save up for surround speakers at a later time, but it is temporarily out of stock. The Audioinsider web page says it'll be available "... first half of 2013".

While watching a movie last night on the blue ray I noticed that half the time there was no audio during some of the scenes. Is it because my set up doesn't include a center speaker?
post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger82 View Post

I thought I would get the Arx A2c, the matching center for the A1b, while I save up for surround speakers at a later time, but it is temporarily out of stock. The Audioinsider web page says it'll be available "... first half of 2013".

While watching a movie last night on the blue ray I noticed that half the time there was no audio during some of the scenes. Is it because my set up doesn't include a center speaker?

You have to tell your receiver you have a left and a right, but no center speaker or surrounds... then the center channel and surround channels will be split between the front left and right. Put your order in and hang tight for the A2c.

post #11 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Get another a1b and use it vertically as a center if you can manage the space. A vertical bookshelf will sound way better than a horizontal MTM center speaker.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Get another a1b and use it vertically as a center if you can manage the space. A vertical bookshelf will sound way better than a horizontal MTM center speaker.

True... if you have the space.

post #13 of 19 Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
+1
post #14 of 19 Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if it's my settings, but the absence of audio occasionally is starting to bother me, mostly the rest of the family. For example, last night while watching the Knicks-Pacers game there was no audio for the play-by-play, no audio for the player interviews, etc. For some commercials I miss some of the audio/dialogue.

I am trying to keep the setup simple for now so I have the blue ray, set top box connected to the AVR, and the AVR is connected to the TV. When I watch TV with the AVR off, there is no issue with the audio. What is it that I possibly haven't set up correctly?

I know someone suggested here that "You have to tell your receiver you have a left and a right, but no center speaker or surrounds...". I can't seem to be able to do that with manual speaker setup nor with the AVNavigator. All I see is options for a 5.1 and up setup.

My family is getting really impatient. I love this Pioneer SC-1522-K, someone please help before they ask me to take the AVR back.To anyone with 2 speakers, a sub, and this AVR, how did you set things up? I'm a novice at this so please bear with me.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

I know someone suggested here that "You have to tell your receiver you have a left and a right, but no center speaker or surrounds...". I can't seem to be able to do that with manual speaker setup nor with the AVNavigator. All I see is options for a 5.1 and up setup.
You need to go into Speaker Setting Not...Speaker System....In Speakers Setting you can choose Sub=yes Front=small Center=no etc...Then use your remote to choose the best sound for your 2.1 speakers.

I also agree with the others that recommend getting the matching center and waiting. Or, you can get something inexpensive from here for 5.1 and your A1b's for 2.1 music. Don't forget the SC1522 is a 9.2 receiver.... the more speakers the better smile.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2100310494%201299919925&name=Home%20Theater%20Speaker%20System&cm_sp=homeaudiospeakersubcat494-_-flashstorefront-_-hometheatersystems
post #16 of 19 Old 05-18-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

To reiterate: Just save up and get the rest of the Arx speakers when you can. Don't waste your money on cheap stuff only to turn right around and spend more to upgrade yet again even if you have more speakers for your 9.2 channel receiver. "More" does not equal "better." That's just throwing good money after bad at the problem.

And +1 on the above info on setting your speakers and sub.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Liked: 21
As others have said - you need to tell your AVR that you're running it in Stereo since you only have two speakers hooked up. There may even be a button on front to choose Stereo. If not, it will be in the settings.

Also, do as others have said - save up your money and wait for teh Arx A2c or buy a single A1b to use as a center. Don't buy something cheap just because.

post #18 of 19 Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Is this a great forum or what!!
From the Speaker Setting...Manual SP Setup.... Speaker Setting Menu I was able to set the settings correctly. Loss of audio/dialogue problem solved.

Thank you all very much.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this a great forum or what!!
From the Speaker Setting...Manual SP Setup.... Speaker Setting Menu I was able to set the settings correctly. Loss of audio/dialogue problem solved.

Thank you all very much.

Glad to help. Keep us posted as you move forward.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page