Alternative to Monitor Audio Radius, Axoim? others? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had decided to go with Monitor Audio Radius 225HD as main and center and 90HD as surround. But the missus ain't happy about the 90HD hanging from the ceiling, so I have promised her to check out alternatives. 45HD are smaller but still have to hang from the ceiling as they are direct.

Could dipole or quadpole (as Axiom call it) work at the rear in my room?
I don't like any of the finishes of the Monitor Audio BXFX, so unless it's easy to paint them they are not considered.

I'm looking for ideas or alternatives to MA Radius,
1. I intend to buy 5.0 (I've decided to go for a BK sub, unless something better becomes available)
2. Prefered finishes are white or light grey.
3. The speakers will be connected to a Yamaha RXV671

I've been looking at Axoim QS4/QS8 /M2/M3 and VP100, but are unable to give the a try, does anyone know how they compare to MA Radius? Other alternatives are welcome.

The room is 14.7 feet (450cm) from the sofa to the tv and 12.6 feet (385cm) wide.

The image below would match the room more or less, there was some limitations within the program I used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What about MA Mass, Paradigm Cinema or Millenia, or Orb?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a modest HT comprised of M22s, VP100 & QS4s with 2 Velodyne 10" subs driven by a Denon Receiver. Works beautifully in my medium sized room at 11' distance from my listening area. Shakes the house when required with quality sound.

I also have two audio only systems using M2s plus EP400 sub & M3s on their own. I suggest the M22s for HT over the other bookshelves in that line for higher power handling.

No idea how they compare to MAs though.. Good luck in your quest...

TAM
post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Axioms' QS4 quadpolar surrounds would be an excellent solution to your area. The QS4 provide incredible dispersion which will heighten your sense of envelopment within the surround field, adding greater realism to a movie soundtrack. The speaker size offers a small foorprint and are available in several finish options for even more unobtrusiveness within the area. Contact me via the toll free number to further discuss options for your system.

Brent Tombari | Axiom Audio Expert | http://www.axiomaudio.com | 1.866.244.8796
Follow us on Facebook! http://facebook.com/AxiomAudio
post #5 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
+1...

My room is really irregularly shaped that makes rear speaker placement very difficult, especially for direct radiating types. The design of the QS series disperses the sound in a unique fashion throughout the rear area & makes them very effective during both HT & live concert music.

Based on the performance of my HT mentioned above, I feel no need for the larger QS8s, although most people go that way. Furthermore, the Powered Wall Mount (included) is a really slick & easy way to attach them to a wall...

TAM
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

What about MA Mass, Paradigm Cinema or Millenia, or Orb?

They are smaller, but not that much smaller than MA 45HD, and still direct. MA 45/90HD on stands are considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenttom View Post

Axioms' QS4 quadpolar surrounds would be an excellent solution to your area. The QS4 provide incredible dispersion which will heighten your sense of envelopment within the surround field, adding greater realism to a movie soundtrack. The speaker size offers a small foorprint and are available in several finish options for even more unobtrusiveness within the area. Contact me via the toll free number to further discuss options for your system.

I guess it won't be toll free calling from Norway.

Actually I might have found an alternative. A swedish brand called Dynavoice. These are conventional on-wall speakers (monopole?), but they are angled and are delivered with a light grey grille which I assume would match our grey walls. They seem to work when mounted upon the ceiling. A larger speaker within the same series have recieved overwhelming reviews and won a price as best budget speakers a few years ago. Pricewise they'll be less than half the price compared to Axioms.

?pic_id=434777.jpg

Is there a reason this patent won't work?
Reply Speakers