Sorbothane speaker isolation bumpers - worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to isolate my newly built speakers from my glass desk. These Sorbothane rubber bumpers seem to be oft-recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMSIBA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

$20 for little rubber pieces doesn't sound right to me though. Will it make a difference and is it worth it to go for those over say, these bumpons? http://www.amazon.com/Small-Clear-12-7mm-3-5mm-0-138/dp/B008DVSFNM

Any other effective and inexpensive suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Years ago I was using squash balls cut in half as vibration absorbers. Worked.

dmorgus
_____
Sam 64F8500/ OPPO 95 (mod)/ Emo UMC-1 (holding pattern)/ 2 x Emo XPA-5 (F-C-L bi-amp)/
Para Sig8 v3 (FL/R)/ Klip RC 64 II (C)/ TDL Chilterns (RS/ LS)/ Klip RS 62 II (B)/ Para Sub1 (60 cm/ 2 feet off the floor on a stool in the middle behind the couch at ear level)/ M&K V-125 front/ Stored: ML Motion 10/ SF Grand Pianos/ JR 150/ Rotel RCD 1070.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'd seriously go to a place like Wal-mart, Menards, Lowe's or Home Depot and get some little rubber furniture pads. If you look on their websites, most of them you'll see are a soft, fuzzy material, but they do carry rubber ones in the store. They look similar to the rubber feet you posted in your amazon link. I bought an 8 pack at Wal-mart a few months back for like, $3.50 and they work great. I've even used the fuzzy furniture pads before. There are, easily, cheaper options available other than those rubber feet on amazon.

Check out this product list. Most of the pads have an adhesive side, so what I did was bought a large pack of them from Wal-mart and then would stick two of them back to back, so there wouldn't be any adhesive getting on my speakers. Then, I just put one under each corner of my speaker. Worst case scenario, you don't like how they work, but at least you didn't spend much money.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afurniture+pads&keywords=furniture+pads&ie=UTF8&qid=1367405329

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

$20 for little rubber pieces doesn't sound right to me though. Will it make a difference and is it worth it to go for those over say, these bumpons?
No. Just about any pads or bumpers will work, including felt self-stick pads.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What exactly are these sorbothane hemispheres supposed to accomplish? Are they only for sub boxes that resonate?

I think I want to decouple the sub from the floor and see if I could raise the volume at night and not have it disturb housemates, turns out it doesn't help, I do the opposite next and I crank it up with and without them and things (double-rocked walls, AVR case, doors&their hinges) still vibrate.

My sub weighed 43lbs (43/4, 10.75lb load), I got 1.5" hemispheres for 7-14lbs loads ((7+14)/2), 10.5lb load), I'm the one who installed the subfloor and floating laminate floor for the whole upstairs if you have any questions.

Forgot to mention the ticking clock was 30ft down a hallway and on the opposite side of a fridge. Y=Yes I hear it or Yes louder than the clock, N=No, E=Equal.

Last edited by relaxation; 04-06-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 145
If your very inconvenient glass table vibrates because your speaker cabinet rattles, then you probably need a better built speaker.
If your glass table rattles because of sound waves then no amount of isolating speaker from table will work, even if it floats above table because of magic. It does NOT work!
Now, honestly, I do not know how much do speaker cabinets rattle, nor I want to find out, but for things that actually rattle and vibrate people have found few clever solutions.
One such thing is a hard disk. Simplest and commonly used solution are cheapest flexible rubber rings which you put between disk bay and disk in places where you screw disk to a bay. It removes literarly 95% of vibration. If there were no rubbers vibration would transfer to computer case and it would be very audible, so I know it works.
There is another solution that makes harddrives 100% quiet. Suspending them in the air with rubber bands. Those soak up everything and 0 vibration is transfered to the case. Downside - slightly hotter disk. So yeah, lets hang some 150 lbs subwoofers.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Another option are Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers. I use these for my front speakers and subwoofer. I was so impressed with them that I also use them under all my components in my audio rack. Fantastic isolation product.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post
Another option are Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers. I use these for my front speakers and subwoofer. I was so impressed with them that I also use them under all my components in my audio rack. Fantastic isolation product.
Required reading:
http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm
rboster, dscottj and Shadowed like this.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I've personally never bought any Acoustech products to improve the sound or tighten the response of any of my subs or speakers. I bought them to raise my mains up a bit and stop my floor/their ceiling from getting knocked on with a broom handle by the person below me with my subs playing a bit loud and shaking the wooden structure. It did. That's not my imagination or me believing in audiophool fairy dust that's just a fact that really happened(or stopped happening.) Maybe she needs REW and a calibrated mike to show she's wrong , and she's a B ! Guess it all depends on what your expecting products like this to do for you in the first place but I don't bi wire or passive bi amp or buy Audioquest cables with batteries attached to them then freeze them so what the heck do I know anyway ?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
That's not my imagination or me believing in audiophool fairy dust that's just a fact that really happened(or stopped happening.)
Perhaps she just gave up. In any event, that constitutes anecdotal evidence, as opposed to measured results. If measured results to prove the claims made by isolation device marketers existed it would be prominently displayed in their advertising. To paraphrase Confucius, 'One chart is worth a thousand testimonials'.

That's not to say that there's no value in placing damping materials between a speaker and floor or shelf or stand. There are instances where that can be beneficial. But the price one need pay to get as good a result as can be had is, as is also the case with cables, very low.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Take a look at these foam hockey pucks for speaker (and equipment) isolation...

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=12018853
Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Required reading:
http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm
Quote:
... If the floor shakes with loud bass notes, that's due to the cone moving rather than cabinet vibration ... vibrations in the air are much stronger than vibrations passing through a table or floor.
Wish this was posted earlier in the results given to me by my browser, prior to making the purchase. oh well, turn down the bass is the only solution to my problem. Glad someone else made measurements to de-bunk the other claims, I guessed I had to do my test by ear since the thumps I was listening for were probably in the range between 11-13dB(A) which no cheap measurement mic can do.

I had originally necro'd this thread to leave my dissatisfied experience for others to see if they too looked into Sorbothane and perhaps get some insight as to what exactly their suited purpose might be for 'audio equipment'. My only guess left is turntables from footfalls and I don't/wont own one of those.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Perhaps she just gave up. In any event, that constitutes anecdotal evidence, as opposed to measured results. If measured results to prove the claims made by isolation device marketers existed it would be prominently displayed in their advertising. To paraphrase Confucius, 'One chart is worth a thousand testimonials'.

That's not to say that there's no value in placing damping materials between a speaker and floor or shelf or stand. There are instances where that can be beneficial. But the price one need pay to get as good a result as can be had is, as is also the case with cables, very low.
I actually agree with most everything your saying but where I will respectfully disagree is that my personal real would experience is just "anecdotal" or due to the funny but not necessarily true assumption that she "just gave up." That was a good one by the way . Any testing procedure done in any lab or controlled environment must also be field tested as it were in multiple real world environments with conditions that may vary from the control study(field trials as it were) so just saying I tested A + B with certain control devices and then saying "therefore in all situations this will then equal C" is in my humble opinion just not correct but who am I to argue with Yoda ! Big fan by the way(of you not ... You know. Your Avatar.)

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement