Sorbothane speaker isolation bumpers - worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking to isolate my newly built speakers from my glass desk. These Sorbothane rubber bumpers seem to be oft-recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMSIBA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

$20 for little rubber pieces doesn't sound right to me though. Will it make a difference and is it worth it to go for those over say, these bumpons? http://www.amazon.com/Small-Clear-12-7mm-3-5mm-0-138/dp/B008DVSFNM

Any other effective and inexpensive suggestions are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Years ago I was using squash balls cut in half as vibration absorbers. Worked.

dmorgus
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'd seriously go to a place like Wal-mart, Menards, Lowe's or Home Depot and get some little rubber furniture pads. If you look on their websites, most of them you'll see are a soft, fuzzy material, but they do carry rubber ones in the store. They look similar to the rubber feet you posted in your amazon link. I bought an 8 pack at Wal-mart a few months back for like, $3.50 and they work great. I've even used the fuzzy furniture pads before. There are, easily, cheaper options available other than those rubber feet on amazon.

Check out this product list. Most of the pads have an adhesive side, so what I did was bought a large pack of them from Wal-mart and then would stick two of them back to back, so there wouldn't be any adhesive getting on my speakers. Then, I just put one under each corner of my speaker. Worst case scenario, you don't like how they work, but at least you didn't spend much money.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afurniture+pads&keywords=furniture+pads&ie=UTF8&qid=1367405329

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

$20 for little rubber pieces doesn't sound right to me though. Will it make a difference and is it worth it to go for those over say, these bumpons?
No. Just about any pads or bumpers will work, including felt self-stick pads.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page