powered speakers or passive speakers + amp for simple 2.0 zones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking about adding a few additional audio zones throughout the house and one outside. I already live in iUniverse (iPad and iPhone), so I think the easiest solution for me is to simply purchase Apple Airport Expresses for audio only zones and Apple TVs for audio/video zones.

Is it better to purchase powered speakers or a small amp and passive speakers? I was leaning toward powered to keep things as simple as possible (not that a small 2-channel amp is complex), but especially for an outdoor speaker, there just isn't much to choose from if I go powered. And nothing will be powered from my main zone receiver. These are completely independent zones. Any advice would be greatly appreciate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like powered woofers and passive i have them both. I say the passive i have is very boomy and you can not adjust it although it is very loud for not being powered. A powered woofer has adjustments and you can fine tune it. Personlly I like both of mine I had to tweak my powered woofer to match the sound of my passive woofer and in the end they sound great.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 13
If you are going to add additional airport express or apple TV units in other room, I think you're right to consider powered speakers to keep thinks simple. In certain room you'll probably want to keep the amount of components as minimal as possible. A third option would be to see if you can find a good deal on some airplay speakers. These would be a combination of what you are looking for as they'll have aux input's as well. A quick look has the Klipsch g-17 for $229 a piece. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-G-17-Air-Wireless-System/dp/B005KTNV70 That was originally $550 retail. I don't know how it sounds, but it had some solid reviews, plus you wouldn't need airport express ($99) If you went the powered speaker/airport rout you may want to consider audioengine, but you'd still be more expensive per zone compared to the g-17 option. The final option would be a sonos system using a Play3 unit in every room. This is going to cost $300/ room but it will give you the best overall audio user experience and better constant audio stream as opposed to Airplay in my opinion. In addition you'd still use your mac or iPhone/iPad as the controller with a free app.

Mike Hopkins
aperionaudio.com

post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 53

+1 on the Sonos being a better option than Airplay.  But if you want Airplay this could be a solution.

http://paradigm.com/shift/powered/A2/index.php

You can plug the airport express in the back of it.  Watch the video.

This could be another option but isn't shipping yet.

http://paradigm.com/shift/wireless/Aera/index.php

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page