Suggestion for 5.1 speaker system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am pretty novice in this area, so please pardon my ignorance and the confusion.

I am looking at 5.1 home theater system, for which following products have been shortlisted so far.

My usage would be watching movies and listening both video as well as stereo(2 channel) audio songs in a room which is around 15 * 12 feet in size. I am planning to plug my settop box and a blu-ray/DVD player with HDMI inputs to AVR.

AVR: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-1700-Network-Connected/dp/B009HB2USI
I seem to be pretty much convinced with this AVR. Your suggestions are welcome though. I am limited on budget though frown.gif Want to stay under 400$ or so.

For 5.1 speaker system I have big confusion.
One system I am heavily inclined, obviously due to price factor is this:
http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/HKTS-16/HKTS%2016_HK_US

I think this is pretty nice deal, but would like to hear from experts so as to what I might miss. I feel the reduced price is due to its white color, if there are any other intricacies which I missed, please share.

Another system which is definitely not comparable and goes at least double in price is:
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HKTS60-Complete-Home-Theater/dp/B00413OXLO

I understand these are completely different systems and different price-range but wanted to understand if its really worth to go for HKTS60 with that doubled amount.
What are the things that will be extra in HKTS60 compared to HKTS16?
I could see the power difference for speakers and the fact that HKTS60 has '2-1/2-Way, Dual-Driver Satellites' which includes CMMD Lite. Frankly speaking I couldnt understand what does that mean to me.

The 200W subwoofer looks same to me as I am just comparing the power.

So any comments regarding the merits of HKTS60 will be really helpful.

Apart from this, any suggestions regarding these shortlisted items or any other models/brands is definitely welcome.

I probably stayed with Harman Kardon because I do not have much exposure to the technicalities and wanted to stick to single manufacturer but that is not really constraint.

Considering that I also looked at in-a-box solution by HK
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-BDS-770-5-1-Channel/dp/B00818M5GK/
The AVR here is not quite powerful I believe.

and Bose with Pioneer AVR - available at Costco only as a package. Their store has Acoustimass 6 + Pioneer VSX 822 at 800$, which also seems good deal.
And the online store has this one at 1200$
http://www.costco.com/Bose%C2%AE-Network-ready-5.1-Home-Theater-Package-with-Bluetooth%C2%AE-Connectivity.product.100030179.html

Thanks in advance,
-Sachin
sachhi99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Member
 
swim33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Stay away from bose completely. Now with that out of the way, I have always liked the sound from HK avr's but I think you could find better for $300. I love my Denon so it's usually my first suggestion. This one includes Audyssey which is probably if not a must have. You may also consider this pioneer. Now what is your budget on the speakers? Is it $400 for the avr and speakers or 400 on just avr and .... on speakers?

-Ben
swim33 is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
What is your real budget for everything-speakers and receiver?

How big is your room?

What do you listen to and how much?

That would be useful information.

Thanks.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies, was away for some time so couldnt reply earlier.

The room size is around 15*12 feet.
My usage would be watching movies(for which I can assume the source being HD) and also listening music from Audio CD and mp3 as well.
I will get a blu-ray/DVD player and also have a HD set-top box connected to my TV currently, which I would like to connect to AVR as well.
No gaming stuff.

My total budget for 'speakers plus AVR' would be between 700$ to maximum 1000$ - if it all its worth. I would rather like to stick to 700-800$.

I recently browsed Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers but since I am planning to use them in India, supposedly they do not work with 220V/50Hz..

Another option I browsed was Polk speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM705-Theater-System/dp/B000WGJX5A/ref=zg_bs_3025451_27 and
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TL1600-Speaker-System/dp/B0043M666S/ref=zg_bs_3025451_64

Confused between what is the difference and what is Time Lens technology and is it worth spending extra 150$ than RM705?

I am seeing lot of options by Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon in AVR. So any guidelines on choosing are welcome.

Thanks again.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I loved Audyssey multiEQ feature after searching for what it is! smile.gif
(Obviously I can see some posts on this forum as well who say it makes the sound dull etc.. So another confusion :P )

Was just wondering whats real difference between MultiEQ and MultiEQ-XT - which seems to be one of the difference with Denon 1713. So trying to see, if its worth going with 1713.
Or I seem pretty impressed with 1613 itself.

I could see varying opinions about XT.

Thanks for the suggestion smile.gif

What speakers do you suggest with these? Probably within 400$ range, and to be usable with 220V/50Hz.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I don't know what the prices are for you, but if you can afford to step up to the full sized Polk speaker lines, such as the Polk TSi 100/300, you'll get better sound. The tiny drivers in those satellite size speakers you are considering won't have the dynamics and more full range sound. Even if you had to buy part of it now and wait to build the rest of your set, it would be worthwhile.

cel4145 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
I recently browsed Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers but since I am planning to use them in India, supposedly they do not work with 220V/50Hz..

The satellite speakers don't know the difference between 220V and 110/120V since they are not plugged into the wall. Perhaps you mean the powered sub does not have a switchable voltage?

You're going to have to make sure your receiver works on 220V too. I just checked my Denon and HK receivers and none of them have a voltage switch. You may need a converter if you plan to buy in the USA and take it to India.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-VC500W-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B000MX1QXA/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367778838&sr=1-5&keywords=120v+to+220v+converter

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't know what the prices are for you, but if you can afford to step up to the full sized Polk speaker lines, such as the Polk TSi 100/300, you'll get better sound. The tiny drivers in those satellite size speakers you are considering won't have the dynamics and more full range sound. Even if you had to buy part of it now and wait to build the rest of your set, it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please point to any guide/link which can help me on how to build a complete 5.1 home theater system starting with above mentioned speakers? Wanted to check what all things I need to buy and how can I plan it. \
Can these same speakers be used at front and back as well? Can these be wall mounted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The satellite speakers don't know the difference between 220V and 110/120V since they are not plugged into the wall. Perhaps you mean the powered sub does not have a switchable voltage?

You're going to have to make sure your receiver works on 220V too. I just checked my Denon and HK receivers and none of them have a voltage switch. You may need a converter if you plan to buy in the USA and take it to India.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-VC500W-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B000MX1QXA/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367778838&sr=1-5&keywords=120v+to+220v+converter

Thanks for pointing out this. Apart from the subwoofer for 'HKTS 16', all devices will require this converter. So once I have this, I think I will be pretty much relieved. smile.gif

So considering this, I think Denon 1613/1713 is good for me.
Any other suggestions, especially w.r.t. speakers are really welcome.

I would like to have at least rear speakers wall mounted.

Thanks again.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is there a reason why you can't purchase in India? Between shipping, loss of warranty, power converters, I'd think it would be easier to buy locally.
crn3371 is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't think you can find a MultiEq XT32 receiver in your price range. The next best thing, in my opinion, is YAPO RSC (room correction). If I were you, (and actually, I was in a similar position not too long ago) I would do the following:

AVR: Yamaha RX-V673 $400 (if you have time and are patient, I found amazon reduced it to $360 two weekends ago)

Speakers:
Pioneer C22 Center $100
Pioneer B22s x 4 $200
Subtotal: $700

Or
Pioneer C22 Center $100
Pioneer FS52 x 2 $200 (main)
Pioneer B22s x 2 $100 (surrounds)
Subtotal: $800

Sub: Whatever left on your budget, go to sub forum and ask for suggestion given your price range.

If you are not too concerned on room correction, or network features, only want 5.1 setup go with Yamaha RX-V375 (comes with discrete amps) and simple YPAO at $250. You can find better values (features/price) with Onkyo, but sound and construction quality is not the same. Having owned both brands, I am now a Yamaha convert.

For speakers, I think a rule of thumb in this forum is not to go with any 5.1 package. But if you must, because of speaker size and style, I think Energy Take Classic 5.1 is the way to go. Also, you can find the MonoPrice alternative, but they won't be available until July. I believe this is because the ongoing lawsuit between Monoprice and Energy. Monoprice's allegedly are the same speakers (manufactured by the same supplier as Energy's) only with the Monoprice badge and lower price.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

Yamaha RX-V375 (comes with discrete amps)

Hope they are better than RX-V473 and RX-V573

http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-v473-and-rx-v573-av-receivers-ht-labs-measures
Badouri is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Is there a reason why you can't purchase in India? Between shipping, loss of warranty, power converters, I'd think it would be easier to buy locally.

Actually, thats very valid point considering warranty especially. Couple of reasons like price difference(as close to 200$ in some AVRs) and model unavailability made me think of buying it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

I don't think you can find a MultiEq XT32 receiver in your price range. The next best thing, in my opinion, is YAPO RSC (room correction). If I were you, (and actually, I was in a similar position not too long ago) I would do the following:

AVR: Yamaha RX-V673 $400 (if you have time and are patient, I found amazon reduced it to $360 two weekends ago)

...

Thanks for the detailed information. Really useful to me.
Denon 1713(369$) has 'Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 points)', so is it really worth going for MultEQ XT32 and how can we compare it with YPAO as present in Yamaha RX-V673?

So which one seems better, considering I do not really need 7.1 system now.

Will do more study regarding speakers both from technical and economic point of view smile.gif

Thanks.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Hope they are better than RX-V473 and RX-V573

http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-v473-and-rx-v573-av-receivers-ht-labs-measures

Not sure what you mean, but the reviewer was happy with the sound performance of these receivers. Read performance and conclusion section. The RX-V375 is not better than RX-V473 and up but it does add discrete amps when compared to RX-V373 (2012 model). It is all about matching pricing, sound and build quality and features and where you are willing to compromise. My limited experience tells me, Yamaha's emphasis is on sound and build performance, Onkyo emphasis is on features.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachhi99 View Post

Actually, thats very valid point considering warranty especially. Couple of reasons like price difference(as close to 200$ in some AVRs) and model unavailability made me think of buying it here.
Thanks for the detailed information. Really useful to me.
Denon 1713(369$) has 'Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 points)', so is it really worth going for MultEQ XT32 and how can we compare it with YPAO as present in Yamaha RX-V673?

So which one seems better, considering I do not really need 7.1 system now.

Will do more study regarding speakers both from technical and economic point of view smile.gif

Thanks.

Before deciding you don't want 7.1, be aware the RX-V673 allows you to add 2 "presence" speakers, which I find it cool when watching sporting events. Purist don't like the added "gimmicks" these DSPs bring, so that is up to you to decide. Otherwise, I think the Denon is a good find, and I lean to believe MutiEQ XT is better that YPAO RSC.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

Not sure what you mean, but the reviewer was happy with the sound performance of these receivers. Read performance and conclusion section. The RX-V375 is not better than RX-V473 and up but it does add discrete amps when compared to RX-V373 (2012 model). It is all about matching pricing, sound and build quality and features and where you are willing to compromise. My limited experience tells me, Yamaha's emphasis is on sound and build performance, Onkyo emphasis is on features.
Quote:
Yamaha RX-V573 A/V Receiver
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 20.8 watts
1% distortion at 24.9 watts

http://www.hometheater.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr414-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 53.1 watts
1% distortion at 66.7 watts

http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-1913-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 70.5 watts
1% distortion at 81.7 watts
Badouri is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post


I see now what you mean, although those numbers from the Yamaha seem curiously low. Also, this apparent shortcoming is nowhere to be found/observed in the review, makes me wonder. My guess it should be fine to power most speakers in the price range. If the OP only cares for 5.1, the Denon seems like the better choice.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all for your inputs. I think I am more inclined towards Denon 1713 now smile.gif Though, will check it out and Yamaha's performance in some store and then take final call.

Big confusion is w.r.t. speakers!
In India, I inquired about 5.1 speakers and they apparently dont have Energy Take classic now. When it was available, it was 250$+ more than current price here.
They suggested me Energy RC-Micro 5.1, which is just more than double the price I pay here.

They also suggested Paradigm CT100 - but could not get the price for it online easily. Any idea about these?

For individual bookshelf+subwoofer options, I will see how much I can stretch.
Dont know when I would be picking up next items if I plan to do it in phased manner(i.e. just to get some parts now due to budget)

Do you see any issues with these in general especially using them with step up/down transformer converting 220V/50Hz to 120V/60Hz?
Or any other compromises I would be making while going with 5.1 set instead of individual components?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-Sachin
sachhi99 is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachhi99 View Post

Thanks all for your inputs. I think I am more inclined towards Denon 1713 now smile.gif Though, will check it out and Yamaha's performance in some store and then take final call.

Big confusion is w.r.t. speakers!
In India, I inquired about 5.1 speakers and they apparently dont have Energy Take classic now. When it was available, it was 250$+ more than current price here.
They suggested me Energy RC-Micro 5.1, which is just more than double the price I pay here.

They also suggested Paradigm CT100 - but could not get the price for it online easily. Any idea about these?

For individual bookshelf+subwoofer options, I will see how much I can stretch.
Dont know when I would be picking up next items if I plan to do it in phased manner(i.e. just to get some parts now due to budget)

Do you see any issues with these in general especially using them with step up/down transformer converting 220V/50Hz to 120V/60Hz?
Or any other compromises I would be making while going with 5.1 set instead of individual components?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-Sachin


At most price segments, it seems you are always compromising so no easy answer there. There is always the theme that for $50 more you can get....;

5.1 sets limits your choices in terms of quality. Buying separate, you can allocate more dollars to where it will make more impact and less to where it makes less. Kind of saying, are you willing to live with 5 mediocre speakers and sub, or you willing to live with good fronts, mediocre sub and poor surrounds. I lean to the latter.

If you are going to with a 5.1 set and can wait until July, you may want to get the Monoprice 5.1. They are exactly the same as the Energy Take Classic but with Monoprice badge and much lower cost. They are manufactured by the same subcontractor.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

At most price segments, it seems you are always compromising so no easy answer there. There is always the theme that for $50 more you can get....;

5.1 sets limits your choices in terms of quality. Buying separate, you can allocate more dollars to where it will make more impact and less to where it makes less. Kind of saying, are you willing to live with 5 mediocre speakers and sub, or you willing to live with good fronts, mediocre sub and poor surrounds. I lean to the latter.

If you are going to with a 5.1 set and can wait until July, you may want to get the Monoprice 5.1. They are exactly the same as the Energy Take Classic but with Monoprice badge and much lower cost. They are manufactured by the same subcontractor.

Indeed true that I am making a compromise.
The above mentioned 5.1 sets are not which I am really interested in(apart from Enery Take classic/MonoPrice) but were suggested by the AV store in India.
After visiting bestbuy store, I am realizing what you are saying. For me as well, it would be ok to have mediocre sub and poor surround. But I think front and center should be good. The thing I miss with my current very basic 2.1(I think those are Creative computer speakers really, plugged in with 3.5mm jack to TV) is the centre sound for dialogues I believe.

What front, center, sub, surround you would suggest considering I can stretch the budget a bit? :P

Thanks.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
What front, center, sub, surround you would suggest considering I can stretch the budget a bit? :P


Here is what I suggested earlier. I own and I am a big fan of these:
Quote:
Speakers:
Pioneer C22 Center $100
Pioneer B22s x 4 $200
Subtotal: $700

Or
Pioneer C22 Center $100
Pioneer FS52 x 2 $200 (main)
Pioneer B22s x 2 $100 (surrounds)
Subtotal: $800

Sub: Whatever left on your budget, go to sub forum and ask for suggestion given your price range.

I say they are worth twice their price and be compared with speakers in that price range. A lot of people also like the Infinity Primus and swear by them. I have not heard them myself, and they cost little more than the Pioneers They were the value kings until the Pioneer arrived. They have a lot of fans, but I think it is because they have been around for few years now. the Pioneers are 2012 and recently becoming popular. Most professional reviews, in fact, all professional reviews I have read favor the Pioneers over the Primus (with the exception of bass extension, but the sub takes care of that). Of course, at the end is whatever you like best and not our opinions.

Right now, Fry's has the towers for $77 each, so even more savings. You can have Best Buy match those. That will give more $$ for the sub.

I have done a little bit of research since someone suggested using a bookshelf as a center speaker and not a purposely designed center speaker. In a few words, sound quality is better on towers/bookshelves than specific center speakers because of the woofer orientation. The problem, and why center speakers are designed the way they are (horizontally) is because the look better under the TV and are more conveniently placed In other words, a marketing driven design at the cost of sound quality. If you have the space, and can raise your TV, you may want to buy another tower or bookshelf as your center. Just make sure all the fronts are timbre matched, which is the case with the pioneers. You can have 2 towers for left and right and a bookshelf as a center, or 3 towers or 3 bookshelves. Pioneer bookshelves are sold in pairs, so unless you buy 3 towers, or their center speaker, you will have an extra speaker which you could sell or use as a back surround in a 6.1 config.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your suggestion.
The big size of floor standing is a little concern for me, at least now.

I will start with SP-BS22-LR pair and a sub like SW-8MK2.
Can I add a center speaker like SP-C22 to this 2.1 combination? Will that be ok? I feel need for a center speaker especially while listening dialogues from a movie; but not sure if that would be a good idea for 2.1.
I plan to add floor standing speakers after some time when I will move BS-22 to surround probably.

Any thoughts, tips, things to keep in mind etc?

Cheers,
-Sachin
sachhi99 is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The more I dig into it, I am getting more (sound) clarity and more confusion smile.gif

I decided to start with a pair of bookshelf speakers and visited a AV dealer here.
He showed me these PSB speakers at 299$ a pair, and I am heavily impressed smile.gif
He just played only these 2 speakers and they sounded amazing! Descent sound such that I didnt feel need of a subwoofer to start with.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/alpha/Alpha-B1-Bookshelf

Can this have any comparison against Pionner SP BS 22? smile.gif Is it worth paying almost 3 times?
What would be the advantages of getting these speakers against BS22 with price/value ratio?

Any thoughts are welcome smile.gif

Thanks,
-Sachin
sachhi99 is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I think you can do better for $300: Arx A1b or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE

cel4145 is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for suggestion. I think my budget will restrict me to stay with Pioneer smile.gif
Opening a thread for compatibility between these and AVR.
sachhi99 is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
No need to start a new thread. Just go talk to all the owners of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point smile.gif

cel4145 is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I (finally) ordered Denon 1713 from Amazon itself smile.gif

Yet to settle down on speakers! Definitely I will try bookshelf+center+sub combination, mostly from a single brand.
I am thinking of these 2 options:
1. Pioneer BS22 + C22 + Polk PSW10
2. Polk TSi100 + CS10 + PSW10

Polk seems better considering the specs and also the fact that I am getting BS22 for 129$ and TSi100 at 149$ pair.
The hindrance with Polk is CS10's size! Especially considering I will have to take it back to India ;-) But still trying manage on that front!

I do not think its a good idea to have a mix in at least front+center speaker combination.

Please provide your suggestions/comments.

Thanks,
-Sachin
sachhi99 is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Member
 
swim33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You are correct on mixing the front 3. Try to keep them timber matched. I would also recommend not buying the PSW-10. You can get a Dayton sub from Parts-express for around the same price and will be much better. If you could swing $160 for a sub, I own the JBL ES150 and it is fabulous for its price.

-Ben
swim33 is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sachhi99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim33 View Post

You are correct on mixing the front 3. Try to keep them timber matched. I would also recommend not buying the PSW-10. You can get a Dayton sub from Parts-express for around the same price and will be much better. If you could swing $160 for a sub, I own the JBL ES150 and it is fabulous for its price.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any thoughts on Polk vs Pioneer for front 3 speakers?
sachhi99 is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
hdnewbie21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loud City
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachhi99 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any thoughts on Polk vs Pioneer for front 3 speakers?

I may be biased because I owned the Pioneers, and not having listened to the Polks, but at least I know you won't regret them. Listening quality is in the ears of the beholder, but the praised the Pioneers received from professional reviewers is almost bar none (given the price) and the owner satisfaction is quite high.

The usual cons of the speakers are:

Looks: every dollar was put on performance, not looks, so you may find a different speaker at that price range that may not sound as good but looks a lot better and that may be your preference. The Center speaker size is also considered big. I personally, don't think they look bad or ugly, but you wont get praises based on looks.

Bass: without a sub woofer, these don't give you too much bass a comparable speakers, however, that doesn't mean they sound better overall.

Sibilance: I have read a few people complaining with sibilance with the towers and center (the BS22 are ok). Some argue that is has to do more with the source, and these speakers don't mask them. I don't think my ears are trained to hear sibilance, so I haven't noticed it in my center.

I may go out on a limb here, since I haven't heard too many speakers myself, but from my research, and based on pure audio performance, the only speakers that compete with the Pioneers or have a similar following at the sub $500 level are the Infinite Primus P363 tower, P153 bookshelves. Professional reviewers favour the Pioneers, but the primus have been around much longer so they have a bigger following.

I don't hear much praise for polks from the expert forums.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HC-1 MK2 | HSU HB-1 MK2 - LR | Pioneer SP-BS22-SLR | BIC RtR-V44-2 (Presence)
hdnewbie21 is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Well, as pointed out...speaker preference is very personal. I auditioned the pioneer bs21. (series. 1) with the Polk m40 and the infinity primus p163 and felt the polks and infinitude were better. And my EMP e5ti, at 400/pr, have more clarity, better bass and not the muddiness if the pioneer. At 77 dollars/spk, that is hard to beat. But in the 500/pr range, tons of competition!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off