Testing Speakers ..Pics... Friend Gave Away $300 cables & more to me ... Fair Test??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

So, yesterday a friend of my who "retired" from this great hobby gave away some of his stuff that he had in a basement for some years now.

He gave me his expensive cables that are 4 times thicker than my previous ones (even though I had decent ones),.... MONSTER. He also gave away his

Sony C222ES player
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vGArMhMkU00/p_158SCDC222/Sony-SCD-C222ES.html

Monster HTS 5100 power
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-10-Outlet-Power-Center-Stage/dp/B000AZJ268

Question ,.,...... when I A/B test speakers and my old ones did not have these EXTRAS ... is it still a fair test between speakers? receivers?

thank you.

center channel cable

Subwoofer cable

Cables for the new Sony C222ES CD player (will my CDs really sound better than my when I play them through Samsung BluRay via HDMI???)

Left and Right speaker cables.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Denon AVR 4311ci Ascend Sierra-1 NrT Ascend HTM-200 Rythmik F12 Panasonic TH50PX60U Samsung BD ES6000 Sony 222ES SACD Monster HTS 5100 MKI Logitech Harmony One Sennheiser HD600 Schiit Modi/Vali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If your current cables are of sufficient gauge, then no, these new cables will make no audible difference. As for the CD player, that will all depend on the rest of your gear. More often than not, an entry level Blu-ray player running HDMI to a receiver with some type of room calibration will outperform the same setup running through analog connections and no room calibration. It will all depends on what gear you have and, even more importantly, how well your room is treated to provide optimum sound.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

If your current cables are of sufficient gauge, then no, these new cables will make no audible difference. As for the CD player, that will all depend on the rest of your gear. More often than not, an entry level Blu-ray player running HDMI to a receiver with some type of room calibration will outperform the same setup running through analog connections and no room calibration. It will all depends on what gear you have and, even more importantly, how well your room is treated to provide optimum sound.

my gear

A/V Receiver - Yamaha rx-v465 ..... right now trying out Marantz 7005 and Yamaha rx-a2020
L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
Sub - Rythmik F12
TV - Panasonic TH50PX60U (50' Plasma)
Blu-ray/DVD - Samsung BD 6000

Denon AVR 4311ci Ascend Sierra-1 NrT Ascend HTM-200 Rythmik F12 Panasonic TH50PX60U Samsung BD ES6000 Sony 222ES SACD Monster HTS 5100 MKI Logitech Harmony One Sennheiser HD600 Schiit Modi/Vali
post #4 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

If your current cables are of sufficient gauge, then no, these new cables will make no audible difference.
+1. There are two grades of cables, adequate and inadequate. Adequate cables cost no more than a dollar a foot, if not less. Cables priced higher than that are still only adequate, and won't work any better.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 147
I love your two grades of cables. smile.gif
post #6 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. There are two grades of cables, adequate and inadequate. Adequate cables cost no more than a dollar a foot, if not less. Cables priced higher than that are still only adequate, and won't work any better.

Then why the heck do people pay so much more for cables? Companies like Monster and other survive on a pure gimmick or are most people that don't believe in expensive cables simply do that because they don't want to spend the money?

For example ... I wouldn't spend money on cables but I got them for free. For FREE, would you replace your current cables??? :-)

post #7 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post

...For example ... I wouldn't spend money on cables but I got them for free. For FREE, would you replace your current cables??? :-)

You might as well be surprised that your old cheap cables "plays" just the same as the new free Monsters... all you gotta do is to switch things out for a comparison, though... wink.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #8 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Then why the heck do people pay so much more for cables? Companies like Monster and other survive on a pure gimmick or are most people that don't believe in expensive cables simply do that because they don't want to spend the money?

For example ... I wouldn't spend money on cables but I got them for free. For FREE, would you replace your current cables??? :-)

People pay that kind of money for cables do so because they are uneducated in the science behind it. They have the money and are easily convinced by the marketers.

Most people who hear a difference between cables do so because a. The new speaker cable is of larger gauge and their current cables were inadequate for the job or b. The placebo effect. They want to hear a difference because the new cables are super expensive and are supposed to be better.

Would I replace my cables if they were FREE? Mostly no. My cables are run in wall and underneath the house. If they were to include installation I would consider it only if it were heavier gauge than what I have now. For my short patch cables between my wall plates and my speakers I would replace them if they looked nicer than what I have. Not difficult to do since I just have bare, bulk speaker cables cut to size and terminated.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

You might as well be surprised that your old cheap cables "plays" just the same as the new free Monsters... all you gotta do is to switch things out for a comparison, though... wink.gif

I have seen that, many times, the thicker cables are actually just thinker insulation. Since he got them for free, he might as well use the ones with more insulation on them to help protect the copper better. No sonic differences, though.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why the heck do people pay so much more for cables?
The same reason why so many men buy Enzyte. Or Bose. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
For FREE, would you replace your current cables???
No. They won't work any better, so why bother going through the hassle for nothing?

post #11 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
not quite seeing how those cables cost $300. I purchased the same banana plugs from Sewell for cheap. And then got 12ga speaker wire from Monoprice.

You got good quality cables and you can't knock free! Congrats.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Plugs-6-Pair.asp

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023501&p_id=2773&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Afro GT
post #12 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:

Because as the old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted" wink.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Some people buy expensive cables because it looks better? Bling bling factor is in all markets including speakers.
That's like asking why people do stupid stuff to their cars thinking it will make it go faster.

Some people really think it works, some people know it doesn't work, and some people just don't care if it works and like how it looks. tongue.gif
post #14 of 22 Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Those look like plain old Monster Z2 cables. The terminations are $20 a cable, $5 a foot, plus the cost of the TechFlex and pants.

I got a good deal on a set of Monster M2.2s cables for left and right. I'm using a Monster M1.2s for the center channel. I think I have one or two Monster HDMI cables as well. Only reason I bought them is to get my Best Buy purchase over $300 to get deferred interest. LOL The rest of my cables and interconnects are self-made or Amazon Basic. My surge protector / line conditioner are Monster products -- HTS-5100Mk2, HTS-1000Mk3. I guess I'm keeping that fat Asian guy in the Ferraris.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #15 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 37
They certainly will not sound any worse.

As they were free, you might as well use them. I would. Big snakes laying on the floor look kind of cool.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #16 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the feedback.
For those that say monster cables are not better, just curious, have you yourself tried them? Sometimes people repeat what others say without even seeing/ hearing things themselves. No offense but i am curious if you actually had Monster cables and did the A/B test yourself, or are u just sharing your opinion based on what others said?

post #17 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

For those that say monster cables are not better, just curious, have you yourself tried them? Sometimes people repeat what others say without even seeing/ hearing things themselves. No offense but i am curious if you actually had Monster cables and did the A/B test yourself, or are u just sharing your opinion based on what others said?

I'd swap out my monoprice cables for monster or any other brand, if you could explain what the higher cost cable would do for me that I am not getting now.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #18 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 AM

post #19 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those that say monster cables are not better, just curious, have you yourself tried them??
We're not saying that Monster cables aren't better. We're saying that no high priced cables work better. That's based on knowing how wire works. What keeps Monster and all the other cable crooks in business is that the average person hasn't the slightest clue as to how wire works, so they can easily be swayed by the false advertising claims made by said cable crooks. As for hearing them, countless double blind listening tests have been performed on cables. They have shown that there are audible differences, which comes as no surprise, as different cables do have different combinations of resistance, capacitance, inductance and shielding effectiveness. They have also shown that said differences are not related to the price of the cable, nor can listeners correctly identify different cables with any higher a degree of accuracy than pure chance.

post #20 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Based on my experience, speaker wire all sound the same, but you need to use the proper gauge, especially for bass notes. I have had issues with cheap meijer RCA cables. There were for my car and sound like garbage compared to by upgraded street wires brand.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Like many people here on the forum I'm sure, I have that "collection" of wire stored away; which includes the lowest of the "HTIB included 24g wire" to the top end Monster. I have never been able to hear a difference, often even when going down in wire gauge.

As Bill F. states, it's all about the physics of the wire. The electrons have no idea how much you paid for the wire they travel on, the real trick is learning to listen with your ears and not your wallet....

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #22 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If someone gave me expensive speaker wires or interconnect cables I would try to sell them to a couple of want to be audiophiles I know.
The really funny (or very very sad) thing about these two people is they are both EE that seem to forget everything they were supposed to have learned when it comes to their 'stereo' systems.
I don't know why people think audio electronics has some kind of mythical qualities about it and get caught up in debating the effects of parasitic parameters when the lowest value cap, resistor, or inductor in the circuit is orders of magnitude greater than the highest parasitic value.

If a person likes manufactured speaker wires with professionally installed terminations and molded strain relief or if a person just wants something that makes a fashion statement, I see nothing wrong with that at all.
What I don't care for is up selling an inexperienced person by telling them they need it so it will sound better. If the pitch is the wire is better because the cable has factory installed terminations that is a little different and if the individual is mechanically challenged might even be well worth the money.

Regards,
Charlie

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page