Filling RV speaker hole - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had some outdoor marine speakers installed on our rv. On the outside of rv they are flushly mounted covering the hole. However on the inside of the rv, there is the alot of extra space between the wall and the back of the speaker as it comes into our rv. Would it be okay to fill all the gaps with expanding foam insulation or does the back of the speaker have to remain open and the hole not sealed around it? We'd like somehow to close the extra pace to make it look more presentable on the inside. We'd really like to be able to use the foam to cover all holes and gaps. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Picture worth thousand words.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 32
I would just build a box around the inside area of the wall, with the foam, but not so much that it fills the gap where the speaker goes. Otherwise it will make the sound sound like crap. Personally, it would have been better to use removable speakers vs. in the side of the trailer, due to road dirt & salt if you travel during Winter months, will just eat those speakers alive.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Picture worth thousand words.
Pictures of what, a hole in the side of their trailer?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Pictures of whatever it is that he's trying to describe. I can't advise a fix if I don't know exactly what the problem is.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Pictures of whatever it is that he's trying to describe. I can't advise a fix if I don't know exactly what the problem is.
I understand fully what the OP is talking about, so again I am one that really do not need a picture of what they are explaining on what they want to do.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yuh I really don't get needing a picture for this. It's a 5 inch hole in the wall of my RV with gaps between the back of the speaker and the existing foam walls. Probably a half inch or so gap between the back of the speaker and my RV walls. Just looks unpresentable and unfinished mostly.

I had thought about the speaker box idea. I mostly wanted to understand if those gaps needed filling to the betterment of the speaker.

I guess the foam would be a bad idea, if it filled any of the space between the speaker cone as I was spraying that'd be bad business I imagine.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Once you place the foam in there and let it set a little, you can push it back far enough, to allow a large enough air space. The walls act like large boxes, but making that airspace any different by changing the insulation inside, can make the speakers more bottom heavy, depending on what you are looking for. You would have to of course compensate for the sound change, by adjusting mid, treble & bass if available on the head unit you have connected to them.

I would just use Window & door foam, then do like I stated before, use a plastic glove that has say vegetable oil on it, so the foam does not stick to the glove, and mold the foam back to make your space that you want for the speakers.