Dayton/Lepai/Sub combo best bang for buck? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello community and thanks in advance for your replies. So i decided to get some upgraded sound for my music on my computer and after a little research have come to the conclusion that PC speakers are prob not the way to go but to go with some monitors, an amp and a sub for 2.1. First question is "Is this true?" For the price i mean. I like bass and want it to be nice and clear(maybe askin a lot) and i listen to hip hop, metal, and electronica. Budget is around $150 if i can make that happen but lets say $350 if I need a bigger budget.

Right now for $150 range lookin at this setup.

Speakers: Dayton Audio B-652
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU

Amp: LEPAI TA2020 Mini T-amp
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-TRIPATH-TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B003P534SW

Sub: Dayton SUB-800
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-800-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU30K

Im a rookie so i'm not sure if this a good setup. For SQ/$$

In the $350 range someone recommended these

Speakers: Polk 35B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290268

Amp: Topping TP22
http://hifion.com/dac-amplifiers/topping/topping-tp22-t-amp-tk2050-tc2000-tp2050-digital-amplifier.html

Sub: Yammy 10"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115129

Would this setup be worth the extra $200.

So once again just wondering two main questions. Is this better than paying for PC speakers(I dont want surround or anything) and are these setups good for the price to sound quality ratio. If you have any other recommendations they would be appreciated as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM

Aritolis,

I'd say that neither option seems like it would really blow you away...

There are quite a few folks on the forums who like the Lepai amplifiers, though -- and for what they do, my understanding is they do it well. They also have a three-channel amp just for the computer sound market This Lepai runs 2 channels at 40 Watts and one sub channel at 68 Watts. It might be neat to see what kind of combo you could drive with that...

You mention also that you are a rookie. My personal recommendation is that you take this opportunity to learn as much as possible by jumping right on in to building your own speakers to fit your needs. I'd be willing to bet that if you chose to do this, you could accomplish something far more astounding than the two options you listed AND come out with the knowledge needed to make excellent decisions on most things audio-related for the rest of your life!

The easiest sort of speaker to put together these days is the pre-made flat-pack. Check out some of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits.html Either Overnight Sensation shown on that page would be great -- make sure you get two, they don't come in pairs.

Two of the Overnight Sensation MTM kits would cover frequencies from 40 Hz up to 20000 Hz -- no sub required. (The Dayton SUB-800 "sub-woofer" you linked to only reaches down to 40 Hz, and it is supposed to be a sub!) Those and a nice 75-100 Watt amp to drive them would still be less than $300 dollars. Once you set something like this up from scratch, I think you'd be thrilled with the results -- you would have a great sounding setup and a much better idea of where you wanted to go on from there...

It's just my two cents. I'd much rather folks that are new to the hobby use projects like this as an opportunity to learn and start something they can grow instead of paying good money for something they will more than likely end up wanting to replace later...

Both set-ups you mentioned should sound better than average PC speakers, yes... Neither of them sounded like they would satisfy my own personal dollar-to-sound-quality requirements though, so I thought I'd suggest the above.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

atti
post #3 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 12
The B-652s are decent for the price, and the sub-800 is as well. I don't think either of these setups is going to sound noticably better than a simple logitech 2.1/klipsh promedia, etc. and its going to take up significantly more space.

I think the Lepai amp is great, I have one powering the monitors at my desk right now, just note, it WILL clip if you turn it up. I would probably spring for something like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-383 with a little more oomph.

I think NHT also makes a power monitor that I've heard great things about!
attrition likes this.

My HT:
Denon AVR-2113 Receiver
Mains TBD
Surrounds TBD
Subwoofer TBD (SVS SB1000, NHT B-10d, Rythmik LV12R, Klipsch RW12-D)
post #4 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM

The B-652 used to be really good for the price, but from what I understand, Dayton made revisions that made it sound a lot worse. There are better options in that price range now.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Yes, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006P88SVO These NHTs and a good sub -- perhaps the Yamaha you mention -- not too bad on the face of things... No amp required! I'd try the mains first and decide how much sub you need -- maybe build a sub?!?
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Or go all-in with 8 inch powered speakers... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007L8BB2/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?qid=1368396769&sr=8-20&pi=SL75 those are 300 watts. They have a 1500 15" watt pair in your budget if size isn't an issue -- no sub required there... Can't vouch for Pyle quality -- but the quantity is there!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Klipsch B-20 speakers on sale for the next few days from Frys for $127 a pair shipped.

Get the Dayton sub. And then if you want a more substantial receiver/amplifier, Denon 1312 or shop your local Craigslist for a used receiver/amp. Otherwise, the Lepai works very well its price. I would go with it if buying a more expensive receiver/amp is an issue.
attrition likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Klipsch B-20 speakers on sale for the next few days from Frys for $127 a pair shipped.

Get the Dayton sub. And then if you want a more substantial receiver/amplifier, Denon 1312 or shop your local Craigslist for a used receiver/amp. Otherwise, the Lepai works very well its price. I would go with it if buying a more expensive receiver/amp is an issue.

That really was a nice price on the B-20s -- I'm sorry I missed it, but thanks just the same! I've been thinking about audio for a spare computer (gaming) in a spare room for a while -- sometimes my wife objects to (admittedly loud) gaming in the HT.

Cheers,

atti
post #9 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIMonster View Post

The B-652s are decent for the price, and the sub-800 is as well. I don't think either of these setups is going to sound noticably better than a simple logitech 2.1/klipsh promedia, etc. and its going to take up significantly more space.

I think the Lepai amp is great, I have one powering the monitors at my desk right now, just note, it WILL clip if you turn it up. I would probably spring for something like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-383 with a little more oomph.

I think NHT also makes a power monitor that I've heard great things about!

It is hard to deny the clean, easy to use and setup nature of powered mains...

Assuming you do not go with powered speakers all around -- which would work with the right selection: I agree, the Lepai may be a little anemic for, say, highly-spirited gaming. And you will want to blast tunes from time to time, no doubt... The best you can do with Lepai is 2x15/20W, 4x25W, 4x45W or the 2x40W+1x68W -- the 50 Watt Dayton seems a great place to start if you have passive mains, and 75-100 would just be excellent headroom if you could find a good deal on something in that power range.

(I hear good things about the 2x50W Dayton, a friend uses one -- he likes being able to swap in headphones easily with it. The multi-input looks handy as well, for an iPod plugged into the front, for instance. There is a bigger brother to the amp TSIMonster listed, but I know nothing about it except what the product sheet says.)

I just moved a set of kit-built MTMs into the spare room -- it's plenty for me so far. Driving them with a small Behringer EPQ450 I picked up used for very little $$ (likely overkill...ahem...headroom) that used to be the final for my old guitar rig -- no sub as yet. All coming out of the computer via a small Yamaha USB mixer. Total outlay around $210-$250, not including the mixer. Happy so far!

atti
post #10 of 12 Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM

Liked: 12
Tried the lepai on some lower sensitivity NHTs yesterday, definitely a no go. Thing clips badly at even 1/4 volume
attrition likes this.

My HT:
Denon AVR-2113 Receiver
Mains TBD
Surrounds TBD
Subwoofer TBD (SVS SB1000, NHT B-10d, Rythmik LV12R, Klipsch RW12-D)
post #11 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIMonster View Post

Tried the lepai on some lower sensitivity NHTs yesterday, definitely a no go. Thing clips badly at even 1/4 volume

So basically a no-go for anything but higher-sensitivity, lower-power applications... Nice to see this info!

I've been meaning to try out the 3-channel 40x2W, 1x68W version -- any thoughts on this one?

Current (spare-room/office) computer setup so far:

I added a Polk 12-inch powered sub that I already had (left over after building better subs for my HT) to my kit-built MTM setup for my spare-room computer -- I'm happy with where this so far is for my gaming (and occasional music) purposes. I've got it set up to lower the output level (a lot) on everything in the room when I click the PTT to talk using Teamspeak, and that works well also.

I think that in the next week or so I will ditch the mixer I'm using with my current computer and use a different computer that has built-in "HD" 5.1 audio outputs. I'll use some older Polk surrounds (ex-HT stuff also) and another MTM in the center over the monitors to complete it, using other smaller pro-audio amps to drive them all -- unless I can come up with a cheap/spare 5.1 receiver or something. Some of the games I play have excellent surround-sound features that should sound quite good in this environment. (I like to put some folks in specific 3-D places within Teamspeak as well, and this really needs surround sound to work completely.) I think the other computer may have outputs for 7.1, but this seems like it would be overkill for the little room. All of that extra Polk gear needed a home anyway -- will stick with the MTMs for mains/center though as I sold my old Polk mains; just as well since they would not have fit on the computer desk anyway. I've already made a shelf to mount the center channel... Progress!

The wife is happy, as this has all kept me from playing games in the HT when she wants to watch TV. The rooms are far enough apart that I only occasionally hear her using the HT and never very loud; she almost never hears anything from me in the spare room -- just the rumble of the very occasional close-up explosion.

----

@Aritolis -- I didn't mean to hijack your thread, man... (Sorry!) Have you made any progress in your work?

Cheers,

atti
post #12 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrition View Post

unless I can come up with a cheap/spare 5.1 receiver or something.

If you have an active local Craiglist, keep an eye on it for a few days. People tend to get rid of earlier generation 5.1 receivers because they don't have HDMI input, but they would work well for you. I've seem many on our CL in the $50 to $100 range.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page