Need some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello, I'm looking for advice on brand and setup.

I'm going to be finishing my basement this year and I'm planning a 7.1 projector setup. I was looking at the definitive technology mythos set because I like the slim look of the L/C/R speaker around the screen. However its out of the budget now so I'm open to advice. My budget is $1500-$2000cad including sub. I was looking at the LAV subs but I'm open to recommendations.

Also for the 7.1 setup I would like to utilize two in ceiling speakers for the "rears" or "rear back". What is recommended? I'm leaning towards placing the rear surrounds to side of the listener on pedestals and the rear back speakers will be in-ceiling... is that the correct method?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Hello, I'm looking for advice on brand and setup.

I'm going to be finishing my basement this year and I'm planning a 7.1 projector setup. I was looking at the definitive technology mythos set because I like the slim look of the L/C/R speaker around the screen. However its out of the budget now so I'm open to advice. My budget is $1500-$2000cad including sub. I was looking at the LAV subs but I'm open to recommendations.

Also for the 7.1 setup I would like to utilize two in ceiling speakers for the "rears" or "rear back". What is recommended? I'm leaning towards placing the rear surrounds to side of the listener on pedestals and the rear back speakers will be in-ceiling... is that the correct method?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are finishing the basement, I would strongly suggest going with a false wall for the front and an acoustically transparent screen. It will open up tons of speaker options for you (since they will be hidden behind the screen) and you can get optimal placement and buy three matching vertical speakers for your right, left, and center main channels which should give you better off-axis response.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If you are finishing the basement, I would strongly suggest going with a false wall for the front and an acoustically transparent screen. It will open up tons of speaker options for you (since they will be hidden behind the screen) and you can get optimal placement and buy three matching vertical speakers for your right, left, and center main channels which should give you better off-axis response.

+1

Also, you want the side and back surrounds on the same wall plain (tweeters about 2-3 feet up from your ears while seated for each seating tier if you have multiple rows)... putting them in the ceiling makes them Voice of God type speakers. Trust me, it can sound quite funky placing the surrounds where they aren't supposed to go. Overhead speaker "channels" will probably be in the next audio format that will debut with UHD (4k) media.

I put channels in air quotes because that type of mixing goes right out the door with object-oriented sound.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies... Wow an acoustically transparent screen.. you just blew my mind. It never even occurred to me that that was option for the home. I got some research to do.

Any recommendations of speaker sets for the above setup in the 1500-2k range?

Thanks
post #5 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
It will be easier to make (relevant) recommendations when you've decided on whether or not to go with the acoustically transparent screen wink.gif
post #6 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sold!!! i found this screen http://www.htmarket.com/ezsefischd16.html the 120inch is about $900.

I will have to bring this idea up to the contractor to get his thoughts on how build a false wall for the screen with the ablity to position 3 speakers behind.

So now i'm ready for the advice.. brands? bookshelves? towers?

Thanks
post #7 of 25 Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Couple more questions ...

Size of the room?

Seating distance from front LCR speakers?
post #8 of 25 Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get a 120" diagonal 16x9 ratio fixed screen at Jamestown Home Theater Screen's site for $525 including Seymour's well regarded Center Stage XD acoustic material if you want to save a bit of scratch. They can do custom sizes too.

However, you want to make sure of your seating distances, viewing angles, etc. before you lock down a screen size.

Here's a handy tool:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Also, need to know the size of the room to better recommend speakers and subs. You want to make sure you calculate in enough room space for speakers behind your screen, which will eat into the space for seating. Sometimes, if space is extra tight, you can use in-wall speakers behind an AT screen.

post #9 of 25 Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and for the recommendation on screen. i was also looking at this in 120inch.... http://www.htmarket.com/lunette169.html because i like the curved aspect.

The room will be 8ft height x 11ft wide x 20 ft long with a wall only on the right (viewer) side. After the drywall is put up the length of the room will actually 18ft as i'm leaving two feet behind the screen for the LCR speakers

I will have a U shaped couch about 9ft away from the screen and the main viewers head will be 10 ft away from the screen. I can't go further back as there will be a bar with stools against the rear wall.

the projector i was looking at is the benq 1070 but i'm open to advice.

For the LCR i'm thinking of 3 towers behind the screen.

did i forget anything?

Edit: just did some more measuring... the 120 inch screen from jamestown states 111 inches wide (non viewing area, edge to edge)... thats pretty much the entire 11ft width.... i was trying to visualize the screen from 10 feet away and it looked too big... anybody viewing a 120 inch screen from 10 feet away with some feedback??
post #10 of 25 Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you use the viewing distance calculator?

At only 10 feet away and only one main seating row (the bar probably would be considered as accommodating viewer overflow or during a sports event), you probably should consider 100" or 106" diag. at the maximum range for comfort. A curved screen at that size is not necessary. Curved screens are normally for very large images (where light fall off on the extreme edges could be a problem) or using a scope ratio (to help compensate for anamorphic lens distortions).

What are you now considering as a viable (yet flexible) budget for speakers and subs? Remember, this is the most important purchase for home theater. Next would be power amplifiers. These two things, if purchased with care, could last you through multiple A/V electronics upgrades.

Towers may or may not be the best solution for a given budget (especially if it's on the smaller scale). Sometimes large monitors with good subwoofer augmentation will work better. You can then always build three sand-filled MDF stands to your required tweeter height (usually around ear level while seated) when calculating how tall your front screen stage might end up being.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Im thinking your right I might go with the 110 inch. I just used the calculator, I entered 110inches for diagonal screen size and it advised my recommended THX vewing distance is 12.3ft.

Also Screen size to achieve THX recommended viewing angle is 78 wide or 89.5 diagonal. Does that mean 110inch is still too big because that screen is 103inches wide.

My budget for the speakers is $1500-$2000. I was looking at the def tech pro1000. Are the LCR's too small for a behind the screen setup?

Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Im thinking your right I might go with the 110 inch. I just used the calculator, I entered 110inches for diagonal screen size and it advised my recommended THX vewing distance is 12.3ft.

Also Screen size to achieve THX recommended viewing angle is 78 wide or 89.5 diagonal. Does that mean 110inch is still too big because that screen is 103inches wide.

My budget for the speakers is $1500-$2000. I was looking at the def tech pro1000. Are the LCR's too small for a behind the screen setup?

Thanks for your help.

There are othe options for sure. How much room is behind your screen?
post #13 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm gonna leave about two feet behind the screen.

Thanks
post #14 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

What about something like this:
3 of these for mains ($600 total):
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1368452849&sr=8-4&keywords=infinity+primus

4 of these for surrounds (:$340)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0045NCB32/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368452849&sr=8-3&keywords=infinity+primus

Assuming you can wall mount the rear speakers, I know you mentioned in-ceiling?

This leaves you enough go get dual subs like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Or perhaps even dual subs of these:
http://svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000

That would be one option in your price range for a 7.1

Another option would be to go 5.1 for now and get some slightly nicer speakers, but those Infinity speakers are pretty highly rated based on the price and I like them for home theater.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Here's another option. Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE front left/right and center. HTM-200 SE for surrounds and rears. That will run you close to $1400 shipped.

Then two of the Klipsch RW-12d already mentioned or one Rythmik LVR12R.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have always liked the infinity speakers. Their sound really appeals to me. Aa for a sub I think you would want the one with more output. Having dual subs in a theatre does wonders for the response however i would buy one sub for now and add a second at a later date. The SVS pb1000 is also an amazing sub at the $500 mark.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Here's another option. Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE front left/right and center. HTM-200 SE for surrounds and rears. That will run you close to $1400 shipped.

Then two of the Klipsch RW-12d already mentioned or one Rythmik LVR12R.

That is definitely one to consider as well. Along with ARX. ARX (three floorstanding, and two sets of bookshelves) would be within budget:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manufacturers.php?mPath=13&osCsid=6aaf57a1f10ea6121cbd938271e689a2
post #18 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the replies... love the dual sub idea. I'm assuming having the matching brand of sub is not a big deal, is that correct??

I will be sticking with 5.1 for now as 7.1 would force me to place the two surr back speakers on pedestals couple feet behind the couch and that will be a high traffic area with the bar.

I will be wall mounting the rears to the side of the listener, only problem is they will be mounted high as i only have a wall on the right side... the left side there will be a dip in the ceiling due to a heat vent so the left rear speaker will be mounted on the dip angled down. My only onther option would be ear height pedestals to the left and right of the couch and id rather stay away from that as they'd easily be knocked over.. (crazy kids)

I have some reading to do!!
post #19 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

Wow thanks for all the replies... love the dual sub idea. I'm assuming having the matching brand of sub is not a big deal, is that correct??

RIght. The sub doesn't need to match the speakers in brand. Just get the best sub suited for your needs.

However, it is better if dual subs are matching. Makes it easier to get them integrated well with your system.

post #20 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am assuming that the mounted rears will be inwall. You can angle the speakers in the wall with minimal modifications. I think that will put the tweeter at a better position for the listeners
post #21 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

No, the mounted rears will be satellites or small bookshelves like the infinities posted above... not good?
post #22 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have some pics of the room, it could help.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the pics, please mind the outdoor furniture, I'm in Toronto so its not patio weather yet.... smile.gif

This is looking at the screen from about 8 ft away. The 11 ft width I referred to in a previous post is from the left side protruding concrete (under the ceiling beam) to the right wall.

This is a view from the left side, the couch will basically be where the two single chairs are. you can see the temp bar we have in the rear.... the new bar will go in the same area.

this is a view from the screen area. the left surround (right side in picture) will go up where the beam is angled down. the right surround will obviously go in the same spot on the opposite wall.

That protruding pipe is where i'll start the wall for the screen,,, that will give me the two feet needed to build the false wall and place the LCR speakers behind the screen.

Hopefully this helps. thanks again for all the advice.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Those dang support posts!!

Since you don't really have a left wall I was wondering if you could build one and wall in the support post at the same time. Your theater room would then be a dedicated space. Maybe a little narrow at 11 feet wide, but you're already, in a sense, boxed in with the support beam and post. Unless there's another free area in the basement you could more easily place a media room.

I also wouldn't recommend placing the bar where you proposed. I would instead put a bar height counter and stools behind your viewing couch, so these viewers can watch the movie too (and they become the secondary row of seats). Place your prep bar (or butler bar) out of the theater area proper and in an adjacent location (since this can get noisy). The area would look cleaner and less cluttered.

The Ascend Acoustics CMT-340's (three vertical mains... don't use their horizontal center version behind an AT screen!) and HTM-200's as surrounds would be a great system on your budget. Rythmik high powered subs (with the 600 watt amps) are excellent too.

The HTM-200's are not very deep, not rear ported, and can be easily wall mounted without very much protrusion and you could do 7.1.

post #25 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Dan,

Thank you for all the advice. i wont be able to box in the room but i was thinking i could box the post and mount the left surround on it a little lower (same for the right side) so i can avoid that "voice from God" effect a previous poster alluded too when the surrounds are placed too high. In regards to 7.1.. my only option would be to mount the surround backs to roof behind the couch and angle them down, However i'm back into "voice from God" territory.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page