Can someone help me identify this cable just so im sure - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can see I don't belong or fit in on the AVS web site. My outlook and way of doing things is far different than most on here. I'll look for another web site more suited to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Yes, he still needs to properly terminate his in-wall coax. Unless he is recommending completely forgoing using the in-wall wiring altogether, I have no idea why afrogt said that.

okay, maybe I missed something, sorry about that.
Quote:
It looks like RG-6 coax cable. This is commonly used for long runs to powered subwoofers.

All you need to do to make this work is terminate the wire to an RCA wall plate/jack. Then simply run a small RCA sub cable from the wall jack to your subwoofer.

Yes you'll need to terminate the in-wall cable to the faceplate, preferrably with a F-connector to RCA plug. And then connect a subwoofer cable from the wall plate to the subwoofer.

RCA Faceplate would look like this
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Connector-Plate-Subwoofer-Speaker/dp/B005D4GW8M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367955276&sr=8-3&keywords=sub+woofer+wall+plate

Afro GT
post #33 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post

well im going to try and do it myself guys. I have got most of the tools for it now so might as well give it a try

If you have the tools, go for it. You might be well on your way to making your own custom audio interconnects, now.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #34 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

I can see I don't belong or fit in on the AVS web site. My outlook and way of doing things is far different than most on here. I'll look for another web site more suited to me.

Is that a threat? rolleyes.gif

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #35 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Try http://www.aa.org

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
post #36 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
ill keep everyone posted!

as for the other end i just need to terminate the coaxial and make it into a lfe phono output now right
post #37 of 39 Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Sure you belong. Check out the DIY section. It's full of people who love building every component needed to support their hobby.

No one was saying the OP shouldn't try and get the tools to do it himself. Just that it doesn't sound like the OP is getting into the hobby deep enough to need a set of coax terminating tools lying around.

Knowing how to terminate coax won't make someone knowledgeable as it's a pretty simple task. Also, you don't need to have the terminating tools just to have a Man Card. lol

post #38 of 39 Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 12
Terminating coaxial is a hobby? biggrin.gif
post #39 of 39 Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 77
amair, you might want to get an inexpensive volt / ohmeter to check your homemade cables, if you are getting into this. $22.50 is a good price for that compression tool. I use mine a lot. (Got a big family and for friends.)

mcfan, there is nothing wrong with your ideas, people like to joke around a lot here.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page