Can someone help me identify this cable just so im sure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think it looks like a coaxial but im not 100% sure. My house is pre wired for a sub and im trying to figure out what cable i need

anyway here it is

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post

I think it looks like a coaxial but im not 100% sure. My house is pre wired for a sub and im trying to figure out what cable i need

anyway here it is

It looks like coaxial, possibly quad shield. You certainly can make a sub cable from quad/quad shield coaxial cable although some people will argue it doesn't deliver the best frequency range.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm just realized i need a LFE phono input for my sub/
post #4 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Hmm just realized i need a LFE phono input for my sub/

It looks like RG-6 coax cable. This is commonly used for long runs to powered subwoofers.

All you need to do to make this work is terminate the wire to an RCA wall plate/jack. Then simply run a small RCA sub cable from the wall jack to your subwoofer.

post #5 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

It's probably best to terminate the coax with an F type to RCA connector. Such as this.

Then, get a two sided RCA connector and insert into a wall plate. Plug the newly terminated cable into the back side of the wall plate, and you're good to go.

post #7 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

awesome thanks for all the info!
post #8 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

No problem.

post #9 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

post #10 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62

Honestly, it is hard to tell from the photo and description exactly what that wall plate is. What is the connector on the inside wall side and the outside wall side? It would probably work provided you terminated your cable with the requisite end that works with the inside of that wall plate and provided the cable you wanted to use to connect your subwoofer had the correct ends to work with that wall plate and your subwoofer.

No. Not by itself it won't.

Is that cable in your initial photo in-wall or is it already coming from a finished wall plate?

The adapter in this particular link is made to go on an F type male coax cable end that is already attached to your cable. Your cable is not terminated. The adapter in this particular link will not simply attach to your cable, now. You can attach an F type male end or you can attach a compression RCA end depending upon exactly what you want to do with the end of that cable. Both (F type or a compression RCA) would require special tools. If you attach an F type male end to that cable, then the adapter you linked will screw onto it.

You have several options, though, and we would need to know more to help you decide exactly what to put on the end of it.

These are F type male ends for you cable. They can be twisted on if the cable is properly stripped and prepared prior to that.
http://www.amazon.com/Gino-F-Type-Twist-On-Coaxial-Connector/dp/B007POCI2W

There are wall plates that have a female F type connector on the inside wall side and a female RCA on the outside wall side. And there are wall plates that have female RCA connectors on both the inside wall and outside wall side. Both would work for you depending upon how you decided to terminate that cable. You could even use a wall plate that has F type connector on the inside wall side and an F type connector on the outside wall side if you wanted to make your own subwoofer cable from another piece of coax.

You have a lot of options.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #11 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM

SIVADSELIM said:

These are F type male ends for you cable. They can be twisted on if the cable is properly stripped and prepared prior to that.

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK COUGH COUGH CHOKE CHOKE, never, ever, don't even think about, using twist on connectors for anything you care about. Like Mike Holmes says, "DO it right the first time".
post #12 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

SIVADSELIM said:

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK COUGH COUGH CHOKE CHOKE, never, ever, don't even think about, using twist on connectors for anything you care about. Like Mike Holmes says, "DO it right the first time".

Yeah, I hesitated to post that link as an example of F type male ends. It was the first that came up at amazon.

I agree. Do it right; do it once.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #13 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

It's probably best to terminate the coax with an F type to RCA connector. Such as this.

Then, get a two sided RCA connector and insert into a wall plate. Plug the newly terminated cable into the back side of the wall plate, and you're good to go.

ordered all these! thanks again. Now to order my second sub!
post #14 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ordered all these! thanks again.

Did you also order the correct tools? Because you cannot put that RCA compression connector on the end of your cable without the proper tool.

post #15 of 39 Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
you could just buy this subwoofer cable from monoprice and be done with it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

Afro GT
post #16 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

How would that be? He still needs to terminate the coaxial cable right? Just want to make sure I am not missing something as I am in the same boat as this guy. That just looks like a RCA cable...
post #17 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

How would that be? He still needs to terminate the coaxial cable right? Just want to make sure I am not missing something as I am in the same boat as this guy. That just looks like a RCA cable...

That is just an RCA cable. Sure you still need one of these, but only to get you from your terminated wall plate to both the subwoofer and receiver.

post #18 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Did you also order the correct tools? Because you cannot put that RCA compression connector on the end of your cable without the proper tool.

what tool would i need, just so i have it ready
post #19 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

How would that be? He still needs to terminate the coaxial cable right?

Yes, he still needs to properly terminate his in-wall coax. Unless he is recommending completely forgoing using the in-wall wiring altogether, I have no idea why afrogt said that.

post #20 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

what tool would i need, just so i have it ready

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coax-Compression-Connector-Adjustable-Tool/dp/B0042PNZM4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367947655&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+compression+tool

You will also need to strip the cable properly prior to attaching the RCA compression end. This can be done without a special tool, but there are stripping tools, too.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/984969/how-to-install-compression-connectors-on-rg6-quad-shield

http://www.ehow.com/how_5117343_connect-rg-cable.html#page=0

If it is at all possible, it would be best for you to get someone to do this for you so you don't have to buy the tools for a single use. Do you know anyone that works for the cable TV company?

post #21 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

well the house was pre wired before i got there, but i do have an installer who is pretty good. You think best of just getting him to do it?
post #22 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

well the house was pre wired before i got there, but i do have an installer who is pretty good. You think best of just getting him to do it?

I think it is best if you want it done right that you do it yourself, There is no need to pay someone to do what you can easily do yourself. Go on the internet and read to educate yourself. My favorite teaching guide is, "Wiring Home Networks" by SunSet books. It is out of print now but you can still buy a copy on eBay for less than $10. This book covers everything: Audio, Video, Telephone, and Computer Networking. Then go on eBay and buy the necessary tools. Don't scrimp on tools. Buy the best you can afford. You should be able to get everything you need for well under $100. Then go back on eBay and buy any wire and parts you may need. Avoid buying copper clad aluminum wire. Also, avoid buying pre made cables if you can. There are some exceptions to this as making a HDMI cable on your own is a bit difficult. Personally, I am not a fan of MonoPrice but others have had good luck with them.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

................i do have an installer who is pretty good. You think best of just getting him to do it?

Yes, Especially if he is williing to do it inexpensively or even free of charge. Even a standard F type end will be fine, there, as you can use the correct F-to-RCA adapter (you linked to it earlier in the thread) or a wall plate with an F connector on the inside.

Quote:

I think it is best if you want it done right that you do it yourself, There is not need to pay someone to do what you can easily do yourself. Go on the internet and read to educate yourself. My favorite teaching guide is, "Wiring Home Networks" by SunSet books. It is out of print now but you can still buy a copy on eBay for less than $10. This book covers everything: Audio, Video, Telephone, and Computer Networking. Then go on eBay and buy the necessary tools. Don't scrimp on tools. Buy the best you can afford. You should be able to get everything you need for well under $100. Then go back on eBay and buy any wire and parts you may need. Avoid buying copper clad aluminum wire. Also, avoid buying pre made cables. Personally, I am not a fan of MonoPrice but others have had good luck with them.

I disagree. There is no reason to buy the tools to use them once. If he knows someone who has the tools and would be willing to do it inexpensively, or even free of charge, he should do that. All he needs is someone to terminate his cable. Once. Even if they simply put an F end on it, it would be all he needs.

post #24 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I disagree. There is no reason to buy the tools to use them once. If he knows someone who has the tools and would be willing to do it inexpensively, or even free of charge, he should do that. All he needs is someone to terminate his cable. Once.

I disagree with you as well. If he is going to get into this hobby tools are a lifetime investment as is KNOWLEDGE. I am sure he will need to make other improvements/changes over his lifetime. Sorry, but a requirement of having a "Man Card" is owning tools and knowing how to use them.
post #25 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I disagree with you as well. If he is going to get into this hobby tools are a lifetime investment as is KNOWLEDGE. I am sure he will need to make other improvements over his lifetime.

I might agree with you if he didn't know someone who can do it for him. But if he knows someone who can do it for him, why not just get someone who already knows how to do it, and probably does it all the time, to just do it, and be done with it?

post #26 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I might agree with you if he didn't know someone who can do it for him. But if he knows someone who can do it for him, why not just get someone who already knows how to do it, and probably does it all the time, to just do it, and be done with it?

Each to their own I guess. Just not my way of doing things. I have learned to never depend on others.
post #27 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Each to their own I guess. Just not my way of doing things. I have learned to never depend on others.

someone who works with this cable all the time, has the proper tools, and probably has compressed a fitting on the end of this cable hundreds, maybe thousands, of times

versus

someone who started this thread not even really knowing what that cable was and had no idea what to do with it

hmmmmm............................

post #28 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
You know, we all jumped in and said, "yep you can use that for a subwoofer", but...did you actually trace that cable to see if it goes where you want it? Since this cable is often used for cable TV, it's very possible they ran it to a junction box near some central cable TV distribution block....

I believe we asked if you were absolutely sure where both ends of that cable were and verified they are appropriate for your receiver and sub locations, but I didn't see you confirm. If you have, then by all means, carry on.
post #29 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

If I only had two ends to terminate and had someone who could do it for no more than the cost of the tool, then I'd let them do it. Especially if I wasn't planning on ever terminating coax again.

Dreamwarrior, I know what you mean. I kept trying to say that there will be two of everything, unless the other end is where it needs to be and already terminated.

post #30 of 39 Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

well im going to try and do it myself guys. I have got most of the tools for it now so might as well give it a try
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page