Very new, and feeling overwhelmed, so seeking help with speakers for Denon AVR-1713 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.

I've spent a good deal of time over the last few weeks pouring over these incredibly helpful threads, but I've come to a small impasse, and I know this is a question that gets asked repeatedly, so I apologize. I went through the threads and realized that some of them were a little outdated so thought I'd bite the bullet and break my cherry posting and risk irritating long time posters with my specific needs...

I've recently moved into a small bungalow and wanted to beef up my audio equipment. I just purchased a Denon 1713 and want to get some decent speakers, and was hoping to spend around 500 bucks. Now I know most of you recommend piecing together a system, and I'm not adverse to that, but I wouldn't mind one stop easy shopping.

The living room setup is the tv in a corner of a room that, at it's biggest is 17 1/2 feet by 21 feet (I've somewhat closed off the space to the dining room and part of the living room that we're not fully using at the moment so the room is mostly about 15 by 14). A lot of movies, tv, and sports, with some music thrown in as well, but that's not the most important thing (as I mostly gave up on that with the advent of mp3's).

Originally I was just going to go with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 (well, actually, originally I was hoping to get the Monoprice's, but they don't seem to be available anymore), but recently have been willing to up my budget to get the Pioneer PK-52fs when I realized I now, for the first time in my life, had the space to not have to go the bookshelf route. I've also looked at the Polk TL1600's and RM705's and that's when I realized the more I read the more options I was gathering with no actual decision in sight.

I recently went to a few retailers to try and listen to some other options, but can't find either of those systems for sale in any local Southern California retailer (ok, to be fair it was mostly Best Buys). I'd love to take a listen to compare to see if I notice that much of a difference, but I'm a bit stuck. So I was hoping that you guys could perhaps give some advice, both to the pros and cons of those options, perhaps other options you'd recommend, and any ideas where to listen to any of the best options to try and make the decision a little easier.

Thanks a ton in advance, I truly do appreciate the small amount of education I've absorbed by reading these boards over the last few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Since you're in socal you might think of visiting Ascend Acoustics and/or Hsu Research to see what the ID brands can offer rather than stick to big box stuff like BB. I'd suggest this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354492/the-ill-demo-my-speakers-for-other-enthusiasts-thread but there's not a lot of socal action there. $500 for 5 sats and a sub is kinda thin, tho and your room is fairly large. If you don't need a lot of volume the Energy Take setup might work for you although it'd work better in a smaller room. You might also think about starting off with a 2.1 or 3.1 and adding as you can afford. Good luck in your search.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I had checked that demo my speakers thread, but there isn't a lot of useful stuff near where I am, unfortunately. If anyone has any phenomenal recommendations for a 3.1 setup (I know, the budget isn't that awesome), I'd love to hear them.

The good thing is that the room is big, but the primary listening positions make it a more manageable space, I believe.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I'd get the Pioneer speakers over the Polk or Energy satellites. You'll get bigger sound from them.

You also have plenty of Fry's Electronics in SoCal, go take a look at the Infinity P363 tower while they're on sale for $117 each. Plus they have the bookshelf speakers on sale for cheap too that you could use as surrounds.

Afro GT
Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The Energy Take Classic has front speakers that are WAY too small for your room (or most rooms, for that matter).

Your budget isn't enough for floorstanding speakers that are worth a toot, but a good pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers can be had.

I suggest that you get a decent pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers and a subwoofer now, and then add a center speaker later.

The Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers are excellent, and you can get them from Music Direct for $350/pair.

The best subwoofer for your budget is probably the Polk PSW505, which can be had for under $200 at times if you look around a bit.

When the budget allows, you can get the Wharfedale 10CC for $249 (although I am happy with 2.1, personally.

Anyway, IMO the best thing you can do with that budget is get a decent 2.1 setup and then add a center and others later as desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lint View Post

Thanks for the reply. I had checked that demo my speakers thread, but there isn't a lot of useful stuff near where I am, unfortunately. If anyone has any phenomenal recommendations for a 3.1 setup (I know, the budget isn't that awesome), I'd love to hear them.

The good thing is that the room is big, but the primary listening positions make it a more manageable space, I believe.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

This is all very helpful information. Seriously, thanks. I'm going to go to Fry's to check out what they have, and I'll also check out that Definitive set. I knew the danger would be that I would up my budget, but it sounds like I'm going to have to to fill the room...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Keep in mind a store's listening environment is usually not ideal and it certainly won't be your room where the real listening experience will take place. You can love a speaker at the store and hate it at home...and vice versa. Now, if you're willing to do a little work a DIY speaker can provide huge bang for the buck, like a flat pack and one of these kits can provide http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm afraid I'm the last person that I would trust doing one of the DIY speaker kits. That gene was not passed down to me from my lovely parents, unfortunately.

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver