805D 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

This will be for a nearfield setup, speakers ~7ft apart, sitting 3ft back. Room is ~15x18

I listened to the CM1s thinking that was going to be the way to go; however, with certain music I listen to the smaller driver lacked in what the CM5 could do.

I have yet to audition the PM1 or 805D, and I know that they are in a higher price range.

However, if anyone could speak on either of those speakers vs. the CM5, I'd welcome input.

(B&W is where I'm going, no other speaker recommendations please; I love B&W's sound.)

Setup will be:

Marantz PM6004 or Rotel RA-1520 (Sennheiser HD650 using Headphone on either amp for TT listening)
Some sort of TT (was thinking Pro-Ject, but upon further research I don't think I want a manual table, so I'm still undecided here)
Computer As Source (Locally ripped FLAC files/MOG) > Peachtree or Arcam DAC
Sonos Connect
Oppo BDP-95
Panamax M4300-PM (already have)
AQ Interconnects (already have)

and then....

The speakers I choose.

Any input appreciated; however, B&W is what I want, so please no other speaker recommendations outside of B&W.......whether you think they're overpriced, or there's something more cost effective, I simply want B&W.

Thanks for any recommendations! smile.gif
-I3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I would go with the 805D's, but, for $5,000 dollars you could get a pair of Salk HT2-TL's or a pair of Philharmonic-3's and still have money left over for a sub! Plus either one of those two speakers that I just mentioned will stomp the B&W's!
post #3 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I would go with the 805D's, but, for $5,000 dollars you could get a pair of Salk HT2-TL's or a pair of Philharmonic-3's and still have money left over for a sub! Plus either one of those two speakers that I just mentioned will stomp the B&W's!

Neither of those speakers' footprints would even remotely fit, and I'm guessing wouldn't work worth a hoot in nearfield.
post #4 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It is a little amusing that you stressed you didn't want other suggestions and the first reply did exactly that.

You would probably get better replies in the B&W Owner's Thread. Which of the 3 have you listened to so far?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60
post #5 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 239
I suggest that you consider the 685.

I think that it is one of the best speakers for under $5000 in the B & W line.

I find its sound to be much better than some of the other B & W speakers.

I find it interesting that you say you like the sound of "B & W speakers", because I find that their sound quality varies tremendously; some very good and others not so good.

I wonder how many different ones you have actually listened to. The CM5 would definitely not be my choice, because I found its treble to sound a bit thin and unconvincing; various reviews have also mentioned this.

The 685 is much better-sounding IMO, and the reviewers at "whathifi" and others seem to find the same thing to be true.
michaelkingdom likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Liked: 25
I seriously can't believe this forum sometimes. The specifically asked for only B&W recommendations and specifically stated that he didn't want any others, yet the first reply does exactly that. People need to be respectful of other peoples requests. If a guy says B&W only, then bite your tongue no matter how much you like other brands better than B&W. Not to mention that I have repeatedly started threads asking simple questions and comparisons only to have them completely ignored. It leaves the impression that this forum is full of sound snobs.
Taxi, I3eyond and pioneertop like this.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

I seriously can't believe this forum sometimes. The specifically asked for only B&W recommendations and specifically stated that he didn't want any others, yet the first reply does exactly that. People need to be respectful of other peoples requests. If a guy says B&W only, then bite your tongue no matter how much you like other brands better than B&W. Not to mention that I have repeatedly started threads asking simple questions and comparisons only to have them completely ignored. It leaves the impression that this forum is full of sound snobs.

Thank you.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you consider the 685.

I think that it is one of the best speakers for under $5000 in the B & W line.

I find its sound to be much better than some of the other B & W speakers.

I find it interesting that you say you like the sound of "B & W speakers", because I find that their sound quality varies tremendously; some very good and others not so good.

I wonder how many different ones you have actually listened to. The CM5 would definitely not be my choice, because I found its treble to sound a bit thin and unconvincing; various reviews have also mentioned this.

The 685 is much better-sounding IMO, and the reviewers at "whathifi" and Stereophile seem to find the same thing to be true.

Check out the review on the 685 at the Stereophile website.

I have a set of 683s in the main room.

I have listened to the CM5, CM1, & 685.

The 685 was a little too harsh to my ear.. The bass was very prevelant, however, a little too much for my taste. Which leads me toward the CM5: to me, more natural highs, better imaging/staging, and ultimately a more refined sound.

However, the 685, per the review on Stereophile, and other reviews, really like the speaker, and I'm wondering from a cost effective standpoint if they are going to be the best way to go.

I really enjoyed Diana Krall on the CM5s vs. the 685s; the rolling of her fingers on the piano was considerably more noticeable.
Jovkovski likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 239
I suggest that you pick 4 or 5 CDs that you are very familiar with, with varying genres and types of music, and use those for testing speakers.

Take your time and listen for anything that doesn't sound too good, or out of balance.

All speakers have good and bad points, so you have to go with the ones that do the least harm to the sound from your perspective.

Keep in mind that the speaker/amplifier synergy is important, so what you hear in a store is not always what you will hear at home.

Sometimes hearing a certain "detail" is actually a sign of a problem.

I had some speakers that really tended to bring out the fret noise on certain classical guitar recordings, but after listening to the recording on several excellent speakers I realized that this was an unrealistic thing and was not what a well-balanced speaker should sound like when playing that recording.

One recording that I use as an "acid test" for speakers is Miles Davis's "Sketches of Spain". There is a lot going on there, and it is very revealing.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:

Keep in mind that the speaker/amplifier synergy is important, so what you hear in a store is not always what you will hear at home.

You think the different rooms have no effect on sound? eek.gif
Quote:

how many different ones you have actually listened to.

The OP should ask you the same question...
I3eyond likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 17
My vote goes to the 805D2 out of the 3. I originally had the CM series and now have a pair of 802D2 and 803D2 - totally worth the jump from CM -> Diamond. Pricey, yes - but very, very well made and sounds spectacular.
I3eyond likes this.
post #12 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Did you even read his post?
I3eyond likes this.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
All good speakers. In a sense point-of-diminishing-returns re price vs sound quality might be your biggest consideration. Two recommendations ...

1) Most Magnolia/BestBuy stores should have all three of the speakers you're considering in their audition room. Definitely go hear them yourself before making your decision - at that price point even driving an hour or more to audition them is worth it! I'd also suggest you make a CD of your own audition music and be sure you hear the same thing on all three.

2) All three of those speaker sets show up on Audiogon and eBay a lot, so buying used is worth considering wink.gif

Good luck and enjoy!
post #14 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Best Buy will not have PMs or Diamonds. A Magnolia Design Center or a Magnolia AV will carry the lines above CM.

OP, I am still curious, which of the 3 have you listened to yet?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60
post #15 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I've listened to the CM5 and 805D and the diamonds win, hands down. Oddly, I'm not really a fan of B&W speakers in general, though I like the CM5s slightly more than most of their other speakers, but the 805Ds didn't really sound like the rest of the range at all, very smooth, broad sweet spot and impeccable imaging. If I had to choose from among those three I'd splurge for the diamonds.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #16 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

Best Buy will not have PMs or Diamonds. A Magnolia Design Center or a Magnolia AV will carry the lines above CM.

685, CM1, CM5
post #17 of 36 Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

Didn't mean to imply a "Best Buy" would have them. In my neck of the woods all the Magnolia showrooms/stores are inside a Best Buy store - hence the "Magnolia/BestBuy" phrasing.
post #18 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
To the OP, I posted in your original thread, think I was the one who originally rec'd the PM1.

I used to own the 685, and have given a good listen or three to pretty much every stand mount B&W offers. Bear in mind that I haven't listened to them critically in a while so I'm going based on memory....

The CM5 are definitely open and ultra-detailed, but to my tastes I found them a bit shrill. They are definitely refined though.

If you love the B&W sound and your budget is open, then the 805D would be the obvious choice to me, they are great throughout the range and very smooth at the top end; a bit too in-your-face for me but great speakers nonetheless. As I recall, the PM1 were incredibly close the 805D, perhaps not quite as detailed but close enough for almost half the price. I did find the PM1 much easier to listen to at higher volumes than the CM5. To be fair, the 805 and PM1 were in different rooms when I listened to them. Were it my money, I recall finding the PM1 the most satisfactory overall (for me) out the B&W bookshelves.

Your best bet is to find a dealer with all three on display so you can listen with your own music. If you can find a Magnolia Design Center, they should have the 685, CM5, and PM1 on display in the same room so you can compare, and the 805 in a different room.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #19 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The dealer I go to carries all 3 models and it's no comparison the 805D. The top end detail from the diamond tweeter alone is a big plus. If you've got the budget go for the 805D's.smile.gif
post #20 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

To the OP, I posted in your original thread, think I was the one who originally rec'd the PM1.

I used to own the 685, and have given a good listen or three to pretty much every stand mount B&W offers. Bear in mind that I haven't listened to them critically in a while so I'm going based on memory....

The CM5 are definitely open and ultra-detailed, but to my tastes I found them a bit shrill. They are definitely refined though.

If you love the B&W sound and your budget is open, then the 805D would be the obvious choice to me, they are great throughout the range and very smooth at the top end; a bit too in-your-face for me but great speakers nonetheless. As I recall, the PM1 were incredibly close the 805D, perhaps not quite as detailed but close enough for almost half the price. I did find the PM1 much easier to listen to at higher volumes than the CM5. To be fair, the 805 and PM1 were in different rooms when I listened to them. Were it my money, I recall finding the PM1 the most satisfactory overall (for me) out the B&W bookshelves.

Your best bet is to find a dealer with all three on display so you can listen with your own music. If you can find a Magnolia Design Center, they should have the 685, CM5, and PM1 on display in the same room so you can compare, and the 805 in a different room.

I was actually VERY surprised when I listened to the PM1's. Wonderful sounding speakers and IMO very close to the 805D2. And at half the price of the 805D2's, I'd say they are one of the best deals going today. But I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. I've auditioned the PM1's and 805D2's, and I'm pretty much set on the 805D2's. Gorgeous sound, amazing imaging and just beautiful looking speakers.
post #21 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Footprint is a large concern for me. 7' spacing, on the right...I have about 2' of wall to work with. I'm curious if the 805D will be too wide and deep to get the best imaging?

The PM1 intrigues based on what you all have said. My biggest concern is due to its smaller driver being able to keep up with lower frequencies. I'm basing this comparison off what the CM1 COULDN'T do well with some of the music I ran through them.....
post #22 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

I was actually VERY surprised when I listened to the PM1's. Wonderful sounding speakers and IMO very close to the 805D2. And at half the price of the 805D2's, I'd say they are one of the best deals going today. But I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. I've auditioned the PM1's and 805D2's, and I'm pretty much set on the 805D2's. Gorgeous sound, amazing imaging and just beautiful looking speakers.

Have you by chance compared the CM1 to the PM1. Driver wise, they seem similar, and the CM1 just couldn't keep up with some of the low frequency oriented music I ran through them....

(I do no intend on running a subwoofer whatsoever)
post #23 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post

Have you by chance compared the CM1 to the PM1. Driver wise, they seem similar, and the CM1 just couldn't keep up with some of the low frequency oriented music I ran through them....

(I do no intend on running a subwoofer whatsoever)

I didn't compare it to the CM1 because I wasn't interested in the CM line. I was actually going in to audition the 805D2's, but it just so happened that the PM1's were sitting right next to them. The salesman said he wanted to play the PM1's for me first, and I was like, "come on man, I came in for the 805D2's." But once the CD started, my eyes opened up and I was pleasantly surprise. Wonderful sounding speakers. I did prefer the 805D2's, but the PM1's were actually quite amazing, especially for their size. I definitely recommend auditioning both (PM1 & 805D2) before making a decision.
post #24 of 36 Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If not price discriminating, obviously the 805Ds biggrin.gif
post #25 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

If you love the B&W sound and your budget is open, then the 805D would be the obvious choice to me, they are great throughout the range and very smooth at the top end; a bit too in-your-face for me but great speakers nonetheless. As I recall, the PM1 were incredibly close the 805D, perhaps not quite as detailed but close enough for almost half the price. I did find the PM1 much easier to listen to at higher volumes than the CM5.

You make me wish my dealer had the PM1s on the floor! Really wish I could hear them. I still wish B&W stuck a 6.5" driver (found in CM5 & 805d I believe) in the PM1s.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 AM

Liked: 10
I purchased a set of PM1s after falling in love with the 805D model. At the end of the day, I wanted as close to the 805s, but wasn't comfortable with the cost.

Overall, I'm truly satisfied with the PM1s. They sound fantastic with everything I play through them, music, movies. Bass is more than adequate for my room (13ft across). A sub would help the very bottom, but mid bass has easily enough weight without one. I'm listening to massive attack at the moment and there's not much to complain about.

I replaced a set of Dahlquist DQ-28s with these and have not looked back. Highly recommend unless you want to fill a very large room.

Gear:
Parasound HCA2200 Mk II
Sunfire Classic Tube preamp
Upgraded Parasound DAC1000
Parasound C/BD-2000 transport.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

I voted 805D, but would take the older 805S or the even older N805 over PM1 or CM5.

Even the decade old N805 are amazing speakers and to me sound better than any current B&W speakers other than 800 series and most non B&W speakers under 2k.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbtackJack View Post

Did you even read his post?

I missed that part in the OP's original post. No need to be a jerk. This is just a simple audio forum that many of us come to in order to enjoy our hobbies. You obviously take things way to seriously as you can not resist pestering me with the fact that I missed the part where he said that he only wanted B&W suggestions. No one named your the internet police so chill out and find someone else to pester.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I mean seriously, if anyone were offered one free pair of these three, who in his right mind would not want the 805D2 ? I mean really. Come on. biggrin.gif
Nethawk likes this.
post #30 of 36 Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

what is really funny is four people actually voted something other than 805D!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page