Definitive Technology UIW RLS III L-R fronts, need advice on center, surrounds, subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ManCaveFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought new construction that will come prewired for 7.1 home theater system in the basement (approx 13'X16'). I am considering the UIW RLS III for my front L-R speakers. I have a questions about the center, surrounds. I've been reading the AVSForum for a while and have gotten great general advice. However, I'm about to make my purchases, so I wanted to ask some targeted questions.

Question #1: I cannot fit a UIW RLS III vertically for my center speaker (at least builder can't officially allow me to modify the framing). One installer suggested the Mythos XTR-40. I was also curious about using UIW RCS III or DI 6.5LCR. What are people's thoughts on the three options. Also, it appears the DI6.5LCR doesn't have a sealed enclosure. Is that cause for concern? Currently, I have a 55" LED that will be mounted on the wall, but hope to upgrade around Super Bowl Sunday.

Question #2: For the side surrounds, I do not have a suitable wall on the right hand side, so I believe I will need to go with ceiling surrounds. For these I was looking at the DI6.5R. Any other suggestions for ceiling mount speakers? I think I know the answer, but would it be wise to put one speaker on the wall and another on the ceiling?

Question #3: For the rears I was considering the UIW65. My only concern is that there is a door on that wall that may prevent me from installing them in the optimal position (how close to the side walls should they be?). The back wall is slightly off center to account for the utilities closet, accentuating the impact of the door on that wall. The sofa may also be off center, if I end up positioning it far back so that it sits in this off-center area. If this configuration is not feasible, should I just go for another pair of DI6.5Rs in the ceiling?

Question #4: Are the speakers I'm considering entirely too little/much for this size room? If these speakers aren't the right ones for this size room, what would you all suggest? To give you all a sense of what I'm working with, I have attached a picture of the room layout. Also, I'm looking for suggestions as to where to place the subwoofer (SC4000 too much or too little for the room?)

FYI - I purchased a Pioneer SC-1522-K to power this setup.

ManCaveFan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ManCaveFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One more thing, I am powering all this with the Pioneer SC-1522-K
ManCaveFan is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCaveFan View Post

I recently bought new construction that will come prewired for 7.1 home theater system in the basement (approx 13'X16'). I am considering the UIW RLS III for my front L-R speakers. I have a questions about the center, surrounds. I've been reading the AVSForum for a while and have gotten great general advice. However, I'm about to make my purchases, so I wanted to ask some targeted questions.

Question #1: I cannot fit a UIW RLS III vertically for my center speaker (at least builder can't officially allow me to modify the framing). One installer suggested the Mythos XTR-40. I was also curious about using UIW RCS III or DI 6.5LCR. What are people's thoughts on the three options. Also, it appears the DI6.5LCR doesn't have a sealed enclosure. Is that cause for concern? Currently, I have a 55" LED that will be mounted on the wall, but hope to upgrade around Super Bowl Sunday.

I understand the vertical constraints with the HDTV. Is this room already framed and built? I would try and do a matching UIW RLS III and use it horizontally. Vertical is preferred for better off-axis response, but I have confirmed with Deftech that the UIW RLS II and III can be mounted horizontally for the center channel. As long as this is not a load bearing wall, there is zero reason why you cannot do this. And if it is a load bearing wall, the builder can still do it, he just needs to frame it properly for code. If for some reason this is not an option, I would contact Deftech Support and see what they recommend to match. And the other question is why do you have to go in-wall for the front three speakers?
Quote:
Question #2: For the side surrounds, I do not have a suitable wall on the right hand side, so I believe I will need to go with ceiling surrounds. For these I was looking at the DI6.5R. Any other suggestions for ceiling mount speakers? I think I know the answer, but would it be wise to put one speaker on the wall and another on the ceiling?

For the side surrounds I would go with these for in-ceiling if you stick with Deftech UIW series:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rss-iii

I would not put one on the wall and one on the ceiling.
Quote:
Question #3: For the rears I was considering the UIW65. My only concern is that there is a door on that wall that may prevent me from installing them in the optimal position (how close to the side walls should they be?). The back wall is slightly off center to account for the utilities closet, accentuating the impact of the door on that wall. The sofa may also be off center, if I end up positioning it far back so that it sits in this off-center area. If this configuration is not feasible, should I just go for another pair of DI6.5Rs in the ceiling?

Can you go with an on-wall speaker?
Quote:
Question #4: Are the speakers I'm considering entirely too little/much for this size room? If these speakers aren't the right ones for this size room, what would you all suggest? To give you all a sense of what I'm working with, I have attached a picture of the room layout. Also, I'm looking for suggestions as to where to place the subwoofer (SC4000 too much or too little for the room?)

FYI - I purchased a Pioneer SC-1522-K to power this setup.

I don't think these speakers are too much or too little. I am using UIW RLS II speakers in a much bigger room and they sound great. Very happy with them.

As for the subwoofer, I would skip Deftech and go with Hsu, SVS, PSA, or Rythmik. All of these companies offer a variety of subs from $499 and up. Lots of options, if you tell me your budget I can point you to a few models. The Deftech subs are not bad, but you can get more from your money.
ack_bk is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ManCaveFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ack_bk, thanks for the advice. In wall is more of an clean aesthetic/keep wires away from baby compromise.

Today I have an appointment to lay out the wiring. I will ask the builder if they can sneak in framing out an area for the speaker to fit horizontally. They seem to discourage deviations from their standard frame because they build out the walls offsite and then assemble them on site. But, I'll see what I can manage. If I could convince the wife to go with on-wall, would those speakers work better than in-wall?

I'm definitely intrigued about using the UIW RSS III. I will definitely look into that. From reading the install instructions it seems like it might be important to frame out the area before the drywall goes in, so that install isn't a pain later.

What would you suggest on-wall for the rears? If I went all in ceiling would the UIW RSS IIIs work for the rears as well?

As for my budget for subwoofers, I would like to keep it under $800 or so.

One other thing I failed to mention is that I plan to also play music from the front speakers, so I wanted to make sure I got something that would go well with a surround sound, but would also work well for playing music. I know ideally 2 front speakers in their own cabinets would be ideal for this. Can I go with something like that and stay within the same price range as the UIW RLS III? Perhaps I can negotiate my way into getting a pair of those. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the advice!
ManCaveFan is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ManCaveFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick update. I got back from the walkthrough and we decided to mark out the 3 fronts as expected. I'm going to talk to the builder on Wednesday to see if they can frame out an area for the center speaker. We marked out the sides on the ceilings I think I am gonna go with the UIW RSS III. In looking the installation guide, I may have to ask them to frame out where the speakers will go, as the instructions call for them to be screwed into the frame.

We were able to mark out an area on the rear wall for the speakers. Now, I just need to figure out what speakers to get for the rear wall. Oh yea and suggestions for a Sub. ack_bk mentioned a few brands. Any suggestions on specific models that would work for this setup? I was looking at Hsu VTF-3 MK4 or perhaps 2-Hsu VTF-1 MK2, but I'm just starting my research here.

I also measured the dimensions of the room and it's about 12'x17', and will be carpeted.
ManCaveFan is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off