Combine Two Sources by Twisting Speaker Wires Together? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know if you want to turn a stereo source into a mono one, you can twist the l and r cables together before they enter the speakers, but I have another question. I have a very complicated setup that I am trying to do, and I wont go into all of it now. I am trying to make it all as automatic and seamless as possible.

My question is, if I have two different sources (receiver/amp), and I twist the right cables from both sources together and hook them both up to the right speaker, and then I twist the left speaker cables together and connect both to the left speaker, what will happen?

My desired result it this, I would never be using both sources at once, but I want the speakers to work automatically with either source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post

if I have two different sources (receiver/amp), and I twist the right cables from both sources together and hook them both up to the right speaker, and then I twist the left speaker cables together and connect both to the left speaker, what will happen?
You will be taking a trip to the store to replace all the gear that you fried. mad.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 288
You need to buy a speaker switch, which will let you switch the speakers to the amplifier/receiver that you want to use.

And do the switching with both amplifiers/receivers TURNED OFF.

Doing what you proposed will damage the equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page