Ideas for speaker set up? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a little advice...

I just bought a new house and want to upgrade to a home theater system. As always, I am trying to stay low budget since I will have heavy expenses with other things getting into the house.

I am planning to buy a refurb receiver from Accessories 4 Less, either an Onkyo 609 or a Denon 1913. i can get both for $300.00. I am wanting to go ahead an purchase the receiver so that I can use it as an HDMI switch and hide all of my wires behind the wall. I am not wanting to spend a lot on speakers up front, but rather build a nice speaker system over time to reduce the heavy up front expense.

My problem is that I will have this receiver with zero speakers to even use it, so I will either have to deal with crappy TV speakers on my 60" Samsung LED, or continue to use my sound-bar that I have been using the last year or so.

My questions is, I'm looking for ideas on a relatively inexpensive set of speakers that would get me up and running until I can begin to build my permanent speaker set up.

Also, once I start to build the permanent system, what should I focus on first? I would imagine fronts and center would be the most important to be followed by the surrounds, but I will have the issue of a sub also.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for someone that is new to the forum and looking for a little direction to get me going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan2 View Post

I'm looking for a little advice...

I just bought a new house and want to upgrade to a home theater system. As always, I am trying to stay low budget since I will have heavy expenses with other things getting into the house.

I am planning to buy a refurb receiver from Accessories 4 Less, either an Onkyo 609 or a Denon 1913. i can get both for $300.00. I am wanting to go ahead an purchase the receiver so that I can use it as an HDMI switch and hide all of my wires behind the wall. I am not wanting to spend a lot on speakers up front, but rather build a nice speaker system over time to reduce the heavy up front expense.

My problem is that I will have this receiver with zero speakers to even use it, so I will either have to deal with crappy TV speakers on my 60" Samsung LED, or continue to use my sound-bar that I have been using the last year or so.

My questions is, I'm looking for ideas on a relatively inexpensive set of speakers that would get me up and running until I can begin to build my permanent speaker set up.

Also, once I start to build the permanent system, what should I focus on first? I would imagine fronts and center would be the most important to be followed by the surrounds, but I will have the issue of a sub also.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for someone that is new to the forum and looking for a little direction to get me going.

What is your budget for the temp speakers? Newegg has some Polk towers on sale often for a great price. energy take classics are also a great 5.1 solution for around 300 or so. monoprice has the same 5.1 with their name in it for a little less.

the advantage of going with the smaller temp. 5.1 is that it can easily be moved to a bedroom or smaller area. but will still sound great. check out reviews on these on CNET.

definitely focus on the LCR first. sub is really important depending on which front sound stage speakers you choose. some go with strong left and right towers with a phantom center and get a good sub.

LCR should match - same company and line (or close) . that will give you a seamless sound for movies in the front. surrounds not as important to match.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #3 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate your help on this, eah9.

The monoprice version of the Energy 5.1 you suggested seems like a great deal. Unfortunately, its on back order; which only further confirms how great of a deal it is.

Monoprice seems to have a downgraded version of the same system of less than $100. Do you have any knowledge of that? If I could get that to just get me started it would be great, and then I can start to piece my system together after that. I just wouldn't want to waste the $100 if the speakers are worthless. CNET seems to have given them a pretty good review, "for a speaker system under $100." This might be exactly what I was looking for.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I really appreciate your help on this, eah9.

The monoprice version of the Energy 5.1 you suggested seems like a great deal. Unfortunately, its on back order; which only further confirms how great of a deal it is.

Monoprice seems to have a downgraded version of the same system of less than $100. Do you have any knowledge of that? If I could get that to just get me started it would be great, and then I can start to piece my system together after that. I just wouldn't want to waste the $100 if the speakers are worthless. CNET seems to have given them a pretty good review, "for a speaker system under $100." This might be exactly what I was looking for.

You are welcome!

I don't have first hand experience with those lower end models. Some seem happy with them, but they are made kind of cheaply. Better than tv speakers, I would guess.

Ebay has the classic takes too - for decent prices. Some don't have the subwoofer, and you would probably want that to get some decent bass for HT in the near term.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #5 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

You are welcome!

I don't have first hand experience with those lower end models. Some seem happy with them, but they are made kind of cheaply. Better than tv speakers, I would guess.

Ebay has the classic takes too - for decent prices. Some don't have the subwoofer, and you would probably want that to get some decent bass for HT in the near term.

I'm watching a couple of ebay items as you suggested, but I am very leery about buy used speakers. In all honesty, I'm leery about my refurb receiver purchase, but the budget isn't allowing for brand new in that department and I don't want a feature-less receiver.

We'll see how it goes. if I can get a great deal on a set of Takes somewhere, I'm sure I'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, I might just go for those bottom line Monoprice speakers to hold me over for a few months until I get settle in and the dust clears from my new house spending spree.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I'm watching a couple of ebay items as you suggested, but I am very leery about buy used speakers. In all honesty, I'm leery about my refurb receiver purchase, but the budget isn't allowing for brand new in that department and I don't want a feature-less receiver.

We'll see how it goes. if I can get a great deal on a set of Takes somewhere, I'm sure I'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, I might just go for those bottom line Monoprice speakers to hold me over for a few months until I get settle in and the dust clears from my new house spending spree.

Wish you all the best. I wouldn't be too leary about getting used speakers, if someone has a good reputation etc...I bought 2 bipole speakers for my side surrounds and they are 10 years old, but were made well and of high quality. Msrp was $500 each. I got them for under 200 for both and they are really great.

Another option to consider is wwstereo. They might still have some good energy vmini speakers. 3 of those would be really good for under $250. If you call they might give you a deal. High quality for $79 each and they could be used for surrounds down the road. Surprisingly good sounding speakers and very high quality and nice looking - I have the piano black.

Good luck! Hope whatever you choose works out. If you do go with the inexpensive monoprice, let me know how they sound, if you don't mind. Curious if they are worth it.

EDIT: Just took a look and wwstereo has the rosenut and maybe piano black vmini center (you could use them as left/center/right) for $89 each and free shipping on ebay (new). These are even better than the vmini ones I have because they have an extra woofer. Even 2 would be fine for $178 (l/r/c). They would sound great and are not being made anymore, but are normally in the $200+range each . And if you would get just 2 - again they could be used as great surrounds down the road. I am not sure you could use the low end monoprice in your ht setup.

Sorry for rambling. Just trying to think what I would do in your situation...so many options...so little money (everyone's problem) :-)

post #7 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Don't confuse great deal with great speaker! The monoprice/energy take speaker will struggle in anything bigger than a small apartment-room, but hey, way better than tv speakers. On s limited budget, you would be best served to get a single pair of decent bookshelves and wait for the budget to replenish!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I won't make recommend a speaker system, I have done a lot of in the wall and wonder if you have made plans about speaker cable during initial installation.
ac4less has a nice price on 100 feet of 12/2 or 14/2, depending on what you need for the speaker system you select. If you go with an on the wall satellite system the 14/2 would be all thats needed. I find that 200 feet is about what it takes for a 7.1 system. One other thing is the cable for the powered sub don't forget that. Ac4less has a nr515 for about 50 bucks lees that is about the same thing without the PC input.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Don't confuse great deal with great speaker! The monoprice/energy take speaker will struggle in anything bigger than a small apartment-room, but hey, way better than tv speakers. On s limited budget, you would be best served to get a single pair of decent bookshelves and wait for the budget to replenish!

I appreciate the input. Do you have a particular set of "decent" bookshelves that I could start with. Again, trying to stay pretty cheap. The initial bookshelf speakers could either be graduated to the surrounds or the zone 2 patio speakers later on.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And if I went the bookshelf route, any thought on a "decent" sub to get me going. It might not be so bad to start off with a 2.1 set up, but it seems like I could quickly get outside of budget going this route.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

And if I went the bookshelf route, any thought on a "decent" sub to get me going. It might not be so bad to start off with a 2.1 set up, but it seems like I could quickly get outside of budget going this route.

Klipsch Rw-12d with discount under $300. Worth it. Newegg. Would most likely be the only sub you need depending on the room size.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
A couple bookshelf options....what New Egg and you will see the def tech sm350/450 series for around 200/pr about once every three weeks. I own the sm450, but both are a really good speaker and a steal at that price. Second, the AJ Pioneer bookshelves are a highly thought of speaker in the bang for the buck. Lastly, the infinity primus p163 can be found for around 150/pr!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #13 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:

A couple bookshelf options....what New Egg and you will see the def tech sm350/450 series for around 200/pr about once every three weeks. I own the sm450, but both are a really good speaker and a steal at that price. Second, the AJ Pioneer bookshelves are a highly thought of speaker in the bang for the buck. Lastly, the infinity primus p163 can be found for around 150/pr!

good call. these are good choices too. anything that could be moved to a bedroom or used as surrounds in your future higher end system is should work for you HogFan2.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

HogFan2:
CraigsList. You can get a perfectly serviceable HT speaker setup on CraigsList for very little money and probably be able to sell them for what you paid when you get your dream speakers. PLUS you can talk to the seller (you should always do this anyway - if s/he seems shaky, move on) and LISTEN to the speakers before you plunk down your money. Don't buy new speakers at this point - they depreciate incredibly as soon as you open the box. As a short-term strategy for HT sound, this is a VERY practical way to proceed.
Good luck,
Mike

mnilan
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page