RTi A7 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for front speakers to go with a CSi A6 and two FXi A4s for the rears. For now I'll be using the sub that came with my Polk 6750, but I'm going to upgrade to a good one eventually. My use will be 50% gaming, 25% movies, and 25% music.

Because I'm in Canada, I've got limited options as to how and where I'll be getting this stuff. At the moment I can actually get a pair of A7s cheaper than A5s. If you'd like though, two opinions would be great. One before cost comes into effect, and another with cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
A7's all day every day and twice on Sunday!
post #3 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
If price was a deciding factor (which in this case it doesn't seem to be), the A5's should suffice since you're getting a good sub. If you say you can get the A7 cheaper, jump!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #4 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenton View Post

I'm looking for front speakers to go with a CSi A6 and two FXi A4s for the rears. For now I'll be using the sub that came with my Polk 6750, but I'm going to upgrade to a good one eventually. My use will be 50% gaming, 25% movies, and 25% music.

Because I'm in Canada, I've got limited options as to how and where I'll be getting this stuff. At the moment I can actually get a pair of A7s cheaper than A5s. If you'd like though, two opinions would be great. One before cost comes into effect, and another with cost.

How much would you pay for the A7?

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Floor_standing_speakers_s/307455.htm
post #5 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

I paid 600.00 for the pair smile.gif
post #6 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

I‘ll be paying $800 for a pair of A7s, plus whatever shipping is from Ontario to New Brunswick, shouldn‘t be too much though.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I‘ll be paying $800 for a pair of A7s, plus whatever shipping is from Ontario to New Brunswick, shouldn‘t be too much though.

thats not a bad price and worth every penny imo.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Would the A7s be too much low end with a good sub though? Would I miss out on some mid range because of the one mid range speaker instead of the A5's two mid range speakers, or do the woofers on the A7 cover the mid range as well?
post #9 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The A5 is a 2way where the 2 woofers have to play the midrange,midbass, and bass. The A7 has a dedicated midrange driver that doesn't have to play the midbass or bass. It only has to cover a smaller freq range. That frees up the bottom woofers for midbass/bass duties and leaves the midrange alone with a separate driver doing that job.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

So the mids are actually better on the A7 even with only one mid speaker because the mid speaker is relieved of the midbass and bass?
post #11 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the mids are actually better on the A7 even with only one mid speaker because the mid speaker is relieved of the midbass and bass?

That is correct my good man!!! Take a look at the A9's, they have an even more superior mid section which is why I purchased a second pair to run as wides smile.gif

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #12 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

That is correct my good man!!! Take a look at the A9's, they have an even more superior mid section which is why I purchased a second pair to run as wides smile.gif

true, but unless he is going to spend money on power amps to drive those A9's, the 7's will be a better option for reciever power.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the A7s be too much low end with a good sub though? Would I miss out on some mid range because of the one mid range speaker instead of the A5's two mid range speakers, or do the woofers on the A7 cover the mid range as well?

the A5's are a waste of money when A7's can be had for not much more money in most cases. the A7&9's are like two speakers in one cabinet, look them up. the 9's will need a dedicated power amp and the 7's would benifit fom one, but reciever power will still drive them decently.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Would I have to bi-wire the A7? I'm not looking for a loud sound that will shake the house, I just want a nice clear sound that I can hear absolutely everything with. If I don't bi-wire do I put the speaker wire into the top or the bottom input? Or does it make a difference?
post #15 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:

Would I have to bi-wire the A7? I'm not looking for a loud sound that will shake the house, I just want a nice clear sound that I can hear absolutely everything with. If I don't bi-wire do I put the speaker wire into the top or the bottom input? Or does it make a difference?

Most folks including myself will tell you bi-wiring will not make a difference. As long as the metal bridge is connected between the upper and lower posts it doesn't matter which ones you use. If you try bi-wiring you'll need to remove the metal bridges of course. It'll only cost you the price of a couple runs of wire to decide for yourself.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #16 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Most folks including myself will tell you bi-wiring will not make a difference. As long as the metal bridge is connected between the upper and lower posts it doesn't matter which ones you use. If you try bi-wiring you'll need to remove the metal bridges of course. It'll only cost you the price of a couple runs of wire to decide for yourself.

Stanley:

I have had the bi-wire discussion with the folks at Polk Audio and they would disagree with you. They said they can't explain why bi-wiring works, as there is some magic to it, but that it does works. I think another way to look at it is if it didn't work why would they spend the extra money to provide the dual hookup posts? I am going to bi-wire my Polks just on the off chance the folks at Polk Audio might know more than me. cool.gif
post #17 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Stanley:

I have had the bi-wire discussion with the folks at Polk Audio and they would disagree with you. They said they can't explain why bi-wiring works, as there is some magic to it, but that it does works. I think another way to look at it is if it didn't work why would they spend the extra money to provide the dual hookup posts? I am going to bi-wire my Polks just on the off chance the folks at Polk Audio might know more than me. cool.gif

I would use caution taking advice from most of the regulars on the polk audio forums. Many long time members over there have a tendency to push pixie dust ideas. They are very set in their "beliefs" and will challenge and ridicule any beliefs that are different from their status -quo....oh and they also think AVS is a "joke". Several posters over there think that science should not and likely cannot explain what we hear or how modern electronic audio related devices function. rolleyes.gif

Search the AVS site for bi-wiring and read up on the many topics of discussion on this particular subject. There is a lot you can learn on this site that does not include magical ideas.wink.gif

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #18 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1650
Quote:

Stanley:

I have had the bi-wire discussion with the folks at Polk Audio and they would disagree with you. They said they can't explain why bi-wiring works, as there is some magic to it, but that it does works.
Bi-wiring is a scam, pure and simple. All it does is to move the location of the jumper from the back of the speaker to the back of the receiver; in the case of speakers that don't have dual inputs with an external jumper the jumper is inside the cabinet.
There is no such thing as magic, in audio or anything else. The only effect that one hears with bi-wiring is the Placebo Effect. rolleyes.gif

If bi-wiring worked according to how its proponents claim it does the wire would have to be at least a quarter wavelength long. At the speed of sound one wavelength at 15kHz is a bit less than an inch long, so they use that fact to justify their hocus-pocus. But at the speed of an electron wave in copper wire a 15kHz wavelength is about 8 miles long. If your cables are a few thousand feet long then by all means, bi-wire. eek.gif
Quote:
I think another way to look at it is if it didn't work why would they spend the extra money to provide the dual hookup posts?
So that they don't lose a sale to people who think that bi-wiring works and want to do it. Besides, it's not like the added cost of dual posts comes out of their pockets. It comes out of yours.
Quote:
I am going to bi-wire my Polks just on the off chance the folks at Polk Audio might know more than me.
They don't know more than me. wink.gif
Quote:
Several posters over there think that science should not and likely cannot explain what we hear or how modern electronic audio related devices function.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:

I have had the bi-wire discussion with the folks at Polk Audio and they would disagree with you.

I'll bet you didn't talk to a lot of people with engineering degrees and 40+ years of experience with high preformance audio.

There are people out on forums who will say anything, and back it to the death.

Newbie + Buzz words = instant eggspurt.
Quote:
They said they can't explain why bi-wiring works,

I can explain why bi-wiring seems to work - it is all based on the lack of reliability of their listening evaluations.

Electrically, its benefits or even just differences are about zero given that you use decent speaker cable to start with.
Quote:
as there is some magic to it, but that it does works.

The magic comes from the usual source of magic - bad science.
Quote:
I think another way to look at it is if it didn't work why would they spend the extra money to provide the dual hookup posts?

It is really pretty simple. There are enough bi-wiring true believers that the trivial expense for the extra binding posts is worth it to many speaker manufacturers to avoid alienating them.
Quote:
I am going to bi-wire my Polks just on the off chance the folks at Polk Audio might know more than me. cool.gif

I think you said it all with the word "cool". Yes, it looks cool, and if it makes you happy, have a ball.

But, if you are primarily interested in sound quality, please continue with your studies. ;-)
post #20 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

They are very set in their "beliefs" and will challenge and ridicule any beliefs that are different from their status -quo....oh and they also think AVS is a "joke". Several posters over there think that science should not and likely cannot explain what we hear or how modern electronic audio related devices function. rolleyes.gif

Wow thats what Axiom forum sounds like too, although they don't call AVS a joke, they call it a vile nasty place. This just makes the company owned forums totally worthless IMO. For any kind of actual information.
post #21 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

They are very set in their "beliefs" and will challenge and ridicule any beliefs that are different from their status -quo....oh and they also think AVS is a "joke". Several posters over there think that science should not and likely cannot explain what we hear or how modern electronic audio related devices function. rolleyes.gif

Wow thats what Axiom forum sounds like too, although they don't call AVS a joke, they call it a vile nasty place. This just makes the company owned forums totally worthless IMO. For any kind of actual information.

makes me thankful that places like AVS exist....kept me from falling into myth traps when i first got serious about my home audio set up.

the thing that crack me up the most about the polk boards, is that generally speaking, polk speakers are middle of the road decent but not the best stuff out there and the guys over there will do everything to convince you to incorporate fancy cables, and connectors and esoteric gear, and drop the word "synergy" more often then they change their under garmets....and god forbid one mentions the internet direct company that likes to install bright blue lights on their gear....

AVS and similar sites allow newbies to learn what makes a difference and what doesn't and how to understand what makes all this stuff tick. It is just unfortunate that a large number of new people to this hobby will likely seek out the manufactures sights instead of useful sites first.

post #22 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

true, but unless he is going to spend money on power amps to drive those A9's, the 7's will be a better option for reciever power.

Thank you for pointing that out, not recommending he purchase, just suggesting he "take a look".

Quote:

Stanley:

I have had the bi-wire discussion with the folks at Polk Audio and they would disagree with you. They said they can't explain why bi-wiring works, as there is some magic to it, but that it does works.

That is awesome, I've been searching for years and waiting for the right time for anyone with the knowledge of the secret magic to give me the hook up. Please, that's the one thing my set up lacks is some decent magic. I tried the bi-wire trick when I first got into this hobby but I just didn't have the magic. I've been on an exhaustive search for it ever since.

post #23 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Liked: 29
Just for purposes of clarification, when I said I talked with the folks at Polk Audio I didn't mean the forums but the people inside Polk Audio the company itself.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just for purposes of clarification, when I said I talked with the folks at Polk Audio I didn't mean the forums but the people inside Polk Audio the company itself.

That's what I got from it when I read your post. I love the customer service at Polk. I own Polk speakers. But anytime anyone from anywhere can't give you a scientific explanation about electricity and the benefits thereof, you simply cannot rely on magic.

post #25 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ahh sorry for my misunderstanding.

I pretty much agree with Geoff. Polk CS is great. But they told me to bi-wire my 70's, but couldn't tell me why either. I ignored them after some research, mainly here on AVS. biggrin.gif

post #26 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1650
Quote:

So did I. cool.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #27 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stanley:

I'd like to take the time to point something out that will hopefully save you a little time, effort and wire.

When you bi-wire, what exactly are you doing? Sending two sets of speaker wire from one set of AVR terminals out to a single speaker with two sets of speaker terminals. With me so far?

Now, if you're not bi-wiring, you're sending one set of speaker wire from the AVR terminals out to a single speaker with two sets of speaker terminals and hooking them up to one set of terminals, while the metal jumpers are in place so the signal is sent to both sets of speaker terminals.

Any questions?

post #28 of 28 Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My theory, It may make a difference when the bridge connector on the speaker does not have a good connection or made with such sub par material that it does not conduct the signal as well as higher gage pure speaker wire.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page