Bass speaker issue - Yamaha receiver help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone help with what I think is a freq issue issue regarding the bass speaker I added to my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver. (This receiver is a 735 watt 7.2 channel unit.)

I have a 145 watt Polk Audio center speaker with left and right front and rear Bose 115 watt each speakers. (all book shelf speakers, not those tiny mini speakers)
All of that set up is fine. They sound good and I configured them correctly....

Problem is later when I tried to add a Polk Audio 200 watt sub-woofer. This sub has it's own amp of course. Using the #1 line output from the Yamaha receiver to this Sub-woofer as they instruct in the manual. I have adjusted every setting on earth, but the bass is weak. Almost as if the Polk sub speaker is not properly matched to the Freq output of the receiver.

When I say "weak" I mean that it has no punch to it at all. Sort of like just a VERY low vibration. Not a punchy thump that I should be feeling and hearing. I tried a higher end bass cable, but that did not help. It's not the speaker! When I take it back to the store which I bought it they hooked it up to much cheaper Yamaha receiver and from that it sounded nice and punchy. WTF?

They did not have my model receiver to test the sub with. I think perhaps I selected the wrong sub-woofer for my receiver. maybe some hertz problem or something is not matching well.
(Yes to all the super high end guys with $15,000 Systems... I fully understand that my system is not the killer high end deal. I don't expect magic, but some punch from a 200 watt sub-woofer would be nice)

So if anyone has any ideas as to what sub-woofer I should be matching to this Receiver then please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have you enable High pass filter to the mains and low pass to the sub.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Could be placement / room acoustics. I'm dealing with this very problem right now and it can be very frustrating. With my 350w klipsch sub I get killer bass in one half o the room. If you move 6 inches to another listening position the bass dissapears.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
when you say line out are you connected to the sub out?

also are all the main speakers set to small? If not then your sub is getting very limited signal unless you turn on extra bass.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

There will always be room mode problems, the question is whether that affect in you listening spot.
Try moving your sub away, and a lower cross over point to see how things go.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have the bass line going from #1 sub-woofer coaxial output from the receiver. According to the manual this is the correct line output.
I appriciate all the above ideas to try and last night I did try each tip that everyone posted, but no change. Stll just a VERY low muffled and faint vibration. Not even enough to see the sub cone move.

This is a bit odd because a couple years ago I had a rather cheap 500W RMS 5.1 Logitech computer pre-boxed system hooked to my PC in a smaller room. That was a 200 Watt sub-woofer that would thump very strong, clean and quite amazing.

Could be a problem with my Yamaha receivers sub signal output. I may take the receiver to a friends and test it on his home sub-woofer. See if there is a difference, or perhaps return this Sub and try a different make and model.

At the least I should be able to actually see the bass cone move at high level. It's so faint I must put my ear directly next to it just to hear it. The Sub setting in the receiver is on max. Adjusting from the back of the sub makes little difference.

I feel I should have went with the Onkyo receiver rather than the Yamaha.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

sounds like the sub arent even getting a signal.
Make sure the sub out is going to sub in on the subwoofer. Have you play with LFE on page 87? set speaker to small on pg 88, crossover at 80hz page 89.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Re-run ypao so it knows you now have a sub
post #9 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Something just pop in, what if the problem is the subwoofer?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensley258 View Post

Can anyone help with what I think is a freq issue issue regarding the bass speaker I added to my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver. (This receiver is a 735 watt 7.2 channel unit.)

I have a 145 watt Polk Audio center speaker with left and right front and rear Bose 115 watt each speakers. (all book shelf speakers, not those tiny mini speakers)
All of that set up is fine. They sound good and I configured them correctly....

Problem is later when I tried to add a Polk Audio 200 watt sub-woofer. This sub has it's own amp of course. Using the #1 line output from the Yamaha receiver to this Sub-woofer as they instruct in the manual. I have adjusted every setting on earth, but the bass is weak. Almost as if the Polk sub speaker is not properly matched to the Freq output of the receiver.

When I say "weak" I mean that it has no punch to it at all. Sort of like just a VERY low vibration. Not a punchy thump that I should be feeling and hearing. I tried a higher end bass cable, but that did not help. It's not the speaker! When I take it back to the store which I bought it they hooked it up to much cheaper Yamaha receiver and from that it sounded nice and punchy. WTF?

They did not have my model receiver to test the sub with. I think perhaps I selected the wrong sub-woofer for my receiver. maybe some hertz problem or something is not matching well.
(Yes to all the super high end guys with $15,000 Systems... I fully understand that my system is not the killer high end deal. I don't expect magic, but some punch from a 200 watt sub-woofer would be nice)

So if anyone has any ideas as to what sub-woofer I should be matching to this Receiver then please let me know.

Thanks.

Which Polk subwoofer model is it? You didn't say.

Your other speakers dont have watts, the receiver powers them. That's just the max power they can handle.

Afro GT
post #11 of 11 Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

It is the Polk Audio - 10" 200W Powered Subwoofer - Black.

I did check and this sub-woofer is supposed too have it's own amp. Actually I think it is 100w continuous and 200w Peak.

I will say that obviously it is Polk Audios lower end subwoofer. I was a dissapointed because the 3 speaker large Polk center channel speaker I bought is great. The center Polk speaker was fairly expensive, and the 4 Bose speakers are not bad. They are the large lower end 115w Bose bookshelf speakers that I wall mounted. For only $130 each Bose speaker they all sound pretty good.

Perhaps I need to add a seperate equalizer to the receiver. Then again it may be a sub-woofer problem, because lets face it... This subwoofer being new almost seemed to low cost to even be true.
I did see a nice Yamaha powered sub with the same specs, but it cost double what this Polk sub cost new. Perhaps that higher cost Yamaha sub will match better with my receiver.

Who knows, perhaps I will just return this Polk sub and not even bother with a sub for now. I'm getting good mids and highs with a little bass right now. I listen to classic rock so I suppose I don't need a seperate subwoofer. Not to mention I am peaking out fine now on all the 5 current speakers, which is already WAY overkill given I live in apartment. 2 neighbors have already reported me for the noise level and that's not even half way turned up.

I figure I'm cool with their big dogs barking all the time, so I would get a nice Sub and ignore their complaints.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page