Recommend HT speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been reading for weeks and I can't seem to decide what to get.

I have a large room 22X19 and one side open to kitchen, foyer. I want to get clarity and the ability for the sound to fill the room. I will add a sub later.

I have so far listened to

focal chorus 726v
polk tsi300
B&W CM9
Martin logan monitor 40
Def tech 8040
KEF Q700

I really liked how the B&W sounded and soon as the guy switched from the martin logan's to the CM9, I could heard that sound widen, it sounded more clear to me as well. but its not in my budget.

I have never had speakers before, just a $300 HTIB, which I think is good because I don't have anything else to compare it with.

So, maybe I am reading too much, but I don't want to buy something just because its at a certain price point it must be good. I almost bough the infinity primus p363 which gets good reviews and is considered a great bang for the buck speakers, but aesthetically they don't look appealing.

I also have the plk rtia7 in my list, but too many people say that I can get something better for the price.

Any logical recommendations or pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I have been reading for weeks and I can't seem to decide what to get.

I have a large room 22X19 and one side open to kitchen, foyer. I want to get clarity and the ability for the sound to fill the room. I will add a sub later.

I have so far listened to

focal chorus 726v
polk tsi300
B&W CM9
Martin logan monitor 40
Def tech 8040
KEF Q700

I really liked how the B&W sounded and soon as the guy switched from the martin logan's to the CM9, I could heard that sound widen, it sounded more clear to me as well. but its not in my budget.

I have never had speakers before, just a $300 HTIB, which I think is good because I don't have anything else to compare it with.

So, maybe I am reading too much, but I don't want to buy something just because its at a certain price point it must be good. I almost bough the infinity primus p363 which gets good reviews and is considered a great bang for the buck speakers, but aesthetically they don't look appealing.

I also have the plk rtia7 in my list, but too many people say that I can get something better for the price.

Any logical recommendations or pointers.

Low cost high quality alternatives:

The Pioneer "Famous Designer" small bookshelves and floor standers:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57490890-47/mission-impossible-design-great-sounding-affordable-speakers/

Infinity Primus bookshelves and floor standers:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M

http://www.avsforum.com/t/722636/infinity-primus-owners-thread

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2012/05/more-evidence-that-kids-even-japanese.html
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 754
First, what's your budget.

Second, what speakers did you like the best that you heard within your budget range?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
And how far will you be sitting from the speakers?

When you do add a sub down the road, you also need to factor in the other rooms that this room is open to to get the total cubic square footage.

Perhaps you can rank the speakers you have listened to in terms of what you liked the most/least? That could help. I would also look at the Focal and Kef speakers at accessories4less if you liked those brands. They are typically sold at that site (they are authorized) for some good discounts, especially if you buy open box. You will 100% want to add a sub or two for any system. Some of the speakers you listed will sound quite different when crossed over at 60-80hz. When you demo, I would try to demo with and without a sub.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

And how far will you be sitting from the speakers?

When you do add a sub down the road, you also need to factor in the other rooms that this room is open to to get the total cubic square footage.

Perhaps you can rank the speakers you have listened to in terms of what you liked the most/least? That could help. I would also look at the Focal and Kef speakers at accessories4less if you liked those brands. They are typically sold at that site (they are authorized) for some good discounts, especially if you buy open box. You will 100% want to add a sub or two for any system. Some of the speakers you listed will sound quite different when crossed over at 60-80hz. When you demo, I would try to demo with and without a sub.

Rank in order, although I don't remember exactly how they sounded but here it goes.

1. B&W CM9
2. focal chorus 726v
3. polk tsi300

4. Martin logan monitor 40
5. KEF Q700
6. Def tech 8040

Will be sitting about 15 -16 feet away from the speakers
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page