New bose products coming out!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talked to a bose employee today and in passing he mentioned that his managers went to Arizona for a conference and that is usually when they unveal their new products for the year.

He could not confirm whether or not what new products they could be possibly coming out with just that this is the time that they come out with them at this ( what sounded like) annual conference.

If you go to bose.com you'll see discounts on their lifestyle systems. Maybe making room for new products? Anyhow thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone was thinking about purchasing a bose product in the immediate future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 147
They could give the lifestyle system away and it still wouldn't be a good deal!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1127 View Post

Anyhow thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone was thinking about purchasing a bose product in the immediate future.

Bad assumption. This is AVS. People are warned away from buying Bose speakers here wink.gif

post #4 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Maybe the new stuff won't be so overpriced and so underperforming. wink.gifsmile.gif

There's nothing to see here.

post #5 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

Maybe the new stuff won't be so overpriced and so underperforming. wink.gifsmile.gif

Lol!!!!
If anything prices will go up and everything else will go down.
ZeGhostbear likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:

He could not confirm whether or not what new products they could be possibly coming out with
Maybe something that actually sounds good at a fair price? It would be a new direction for them, that's for sure. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This thread smells highly of troll bait.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I will say one thing good about this thread . It makes me laugh smile.gif

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #9 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Lol, thank you for your replies as they are both helpful and entertaining. I am relatively new to home theater speakers, (I understand HDTV specs/concepts a lot more) and would like to learn more about audio. Anyone know of any good resources to learn concepts of how speakers work and how to make a well informed purchase (knowing about specs, etc.)

Parents and I demoed the acoustimass 10 speakers ($1,000) in the bose store and they sounded great. Although, I hear lots of trash talk about bose on the Internet. Can anyone recommend an alternative 5.1 surround speaker package that sounds better for same price? We will be using these speakers with a good Harman Kardon AV Receiver.

Also, are there any good places to demo these speakers that you might recommend to me before I make a purchase?

Thanks,
-Mike
post #10 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

All kidding aside, Bose speakers take a lot of heat for one very simple reason. They ain't priced to match the quality. A lot of cheap speakers systems sound mediocre...however, Bose isn't cheap priced!

Yes, Bose can make their systems sound pretty good in controlled room. The important thing to note is that Bose systems don't have real subwoofers and most of their speakers don't have tweeters. They advertise them as "small and unobtrusive" and "easy to set up" and they are both. They advertise them as sounding better than larger speakers and while that claim may be true for a few "white van" large speakers, NO DECENT 2 or 3 way speaker will measure as poorly as a Bose cube.

If the Bose Acoustimas system sold for 150 bucks, people would likely recommend it as a prety good buy for the buck (like Energy Take Classic 5.1 sets)...but for 6-700 dollars, you can just get way better sound with other options! but again, for those who want small, and easy to set up and are willing to pay the price, then Bose seems to be a good choice!

post #11 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
Ok getting into this new hobby although i've been reading here for over 2 years and other sites and i have lots of personal experience with sound equipment(like all of you i'm sure) working in the worst audition place Best buy.

I heard plenty of Bose speakers/full systems, and listened to many customers talk about bose(either love them or hate them) and from what i noticed the ones who love them are the ones who haven't experienced other speakers much or only listened to HTIB systems or Sony bookshelf speakers or worse they have that friend who swears by bose. The ones who hate them have much more expensive speakers(or bigger speakers) or just have horrible ways to explain why they hate them they say 'because it sucks" "because their small" the only good reason is because they have bad price/performance.

Anyways let me start by saying you can do much worse(basically any HTIB) than bose for example at our store they are still up there(in the top 5) but they can't stand a hair to Polk, Klipsch or even Pioneer. We know this at best buy we also know Bose pays extra to keep their systems away from the others. What they don't know is i try everything to have the customers hear all the systems and tell them sound is subjective and use an analogy.

From what i experienced Bose is really good at emulating surround sound from 2 speakers and they use the same technology in all speakers and for some customers this sounds great and that fake sound even sounds decent to me. But Bose blows in one huge aspect and that is frequency response and realism, i took home the speakers once and used a frequency test those Bose cubes gave out at around 270 hz and only went to 13,000khz(no tweeter wow). Now the Sub goes to around 250 hz to around 55 hz, That's a huge issue not to mention most AVRs only go to 200 hz on the Xover which means you could send information to it that is bad and you would have a major gap in frequency and that is where the voices are.

From a small speaker standpoint i can't recommend Polk enough when it comes to their TL1,2,3 series it's amazing and has a decent frequency response to around 100 hz(starts to lose its punch slowly around 120 hz and ends completely at 90 hz). Now from a high-end frequency standpoint they sound great to around 18,000khz. With their Ring tweeter even going above 20,000hz..

Now i also tell them to only pick small speakers if they have to(wife, size of room) From a Price performance perspective Pioneer is selling fast at our store with their 5.1 setup costing the same as Bose's 2.1 system let alone their 5.1.

Not only that but Bose is just horrible with music even their Bose 301's(best product they made in 10 years IMHO) are nothing to brag about.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, the problem is...for the price, you really cannot do alot worse than Bose! Sure, some Bose system will sound better than really cheap htib. For the price, Bose has few equals in terms of limited SQ!

post #13 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:

Parents and I demoed the acoustimass 10 speakers ($1,000) in the bose store and they sounded great. Although, I hear lots of trash talk about bose on the Internet. Can anyone recommend an alternative 5.1 surround speaker package that sounds better for same price? We will be using these speakers with a good Harman Kardon AV Receiver.

The Andrew Jones Pioneers are an excellent choice: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/pioneer-sp-pk52fs
Best Buy carries them, and Tiger Direct currently has some of them on special. But get a better sub than the Pioneer one. At least a Klipsch RW-12d (Newegg runs specials for around $300 or less) if not the SVS PB-1000 mentioned in the review.

post #14 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The might be NEW on the outside but they will have the SAME $2 paper cone drivers inside.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #15 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
I'd advise you to not buy from Best Buy unless you want easy and quick but you should give a listen to the Pioneer floor standings and Center speaker as well as the bookshelves(although i'd advise you to buy something different than the Pioneer 8 inch Sub) heck take them home set them up if you don't like them return them to Bestbuy or Return them if you do like them and buy them online.

Need a small system you can also go to Bestbuy to listen to the Polk TL1 series or even just get the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers all around instead of the floor standings if you have to.

Also while you're at best buy listen to the other speakers as well instead of Pioneer listen to the Klipsch and Polk speakers and then go back to Bose and take a listen(also i know bestbuy is a troll when it comes to setting things up so just do it yourself when their not looking)

But please don't go to the bose store asking what's best, don't do that because when everyone is telling you its great and they are the only speakers their its going to be a good experience.

That's like asking Coca cola what's the best cola.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 AM

Liked: 41
Not that I'm defending Bose, but lack of a tweeter doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing, I point to BMR's as an example biggrin.gif

@Mike1127: Probably the best example of why Bose doesn't...enjoy a good reputation here is if you are able to, demo Cambridge Audio's Minx line. The Min 21 sat's are the same size and they use real subs**, there's no comparison in sound quality between those two lines. Granted it's a bit more expensive than the Bose but even when using the Min 11 with the small X200 sub (roughly the same price as the Acoustimass 10 for 5.1) there's really no comparison there either as they have better extension both high and low without any gaps and a clarity and soundstage the Bose simply cannot do under the best of conditions.

If you are looking at the $1000 price bracket and you truly want the footprint of the Acoustimass, then the Minx line will be one of your best bets. If that size isn't so important then I'm sure others here could point you to few different options.

**The X200 may not be considered a sub by some since it only reaches high 30/low 40's hertz. But it still has significant more reach than the Acoustimass which only reaches down into the 50's
post #17 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Glad you brought up the Minx BMR system. It is an exceptional system. But I wouldn't call it "tweeterlees" exactly.

As you know it is not a conventional driver, given that the midrange is produced by the driver's pistonic action, but the high frequencies are produced by a completely different modality of the driver...by its bending wave action. Most conventional piston action cone drivers which produce midrange frequncies are not capable of an extended upper range.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 AM

Liked: 41
That's true, but it's still not a tweeter in the sense of how it was being used above as a dedicated driver for upper frequencies. smile.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

That's true, but it's still not a tweeter in the sense of how it was being used above as a dedicated driver for upper frequencies. smile.gif

Well, what we're comparing, I think, is one of Bose's conventional, single function, midrange biased drivers which cannot put out the highest frequencies, to a driver that has different modalities, which not only generate different frequencies, but do it through different mechanisms. In other words there are full range drivers that in a sense negate the distinctions between different types of drivers (woofers, midrange, tweeter) because different parts of the speaker, or different mechanisms or modalities of the speakers generate different frequencies. The Bose "ain't one of them."

Some large, planar speakers also can put out a full range of frequencies, as can a full range Walsh driver. The BMR is, at present, close to doing the same.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio High Performance Satellite Speaker Tl1
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page