Wharfedale Jade Series (need some information, please). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello guys and possible gals. What do you all think of the Jade Series; particularly the Jade 7 towers, C2 center channel, and SR1 surrounds? Are these comparable to say the Revel Performa3 F208, PSB Imagine T2, and KEF R900 series with matching center and surrounds? They appear to be very well built with outstanding fit and finish and also with very nice materials for the speakers and tweeters. I found two reviews below with measurements. Can anyone please interpret these measurements for me?
http://www.hometheater.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-speaker-system>>
> >
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-loudspeaker>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Hello guys and possible gals. What do you all think of the Jade Series; particularly the Jade 7 towers, C2 center channel, and SR1 surrounds? Are these comparable to say the Revel Performa3 F208, PSB Imagine T2, and KEF R900 series with matching center and surrounds? They appear to be very well built with outstanding fit and finish and also with very nice materials for the speakers and tweeters. I found two reviews below with measurements. Can anyone please interpret these measurements for me?
http://www.hometheater.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-speaker-system>>
> >
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-jade-7-loudspeaker>>

This is one of the flattest measuring speakers I have seen in stereophile

The HT Lab measurement shows a "listening window" which is an average of 4 off axis measurements with the on axis results, a speaker that is flat on axis will have a droop in the treble, which is what HT Labs shows.

You will need an amp that can handle 4 ohms.

The summary from JA sounds like a good conclusion to me, as many high end speakers are poorly designed
Quote:
t is rare to find even an expensive speaker that measures as well as this. That Wharfedale's Jade 7 does so at a price of a dollar less than $4200/pair is especially commendable. I am not surprised RD liked this speaker as much he did.—John Atkinson
Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ Thanks Jay. I read those reviews, but wanted to see what the measurements translated in the real world. I have a Denon 4311 as the source, and an Emotiva XPA-5 to power all five speakers, in addition to a subwoofer, of course. I favor a brighter sounding speakers, perhaps those with ribbons, but I am strongly considering these Wharfdale Jade series with the afformentioned speakers. The only thing that is a little disappointing is that their surround is not a dual baffle dipole/bipole design, and is designed much like a front firing bookshelf. I have not been able to audition them as of yet. Are these comparable to say the Revel Performa3 F208, PSB Imagine T2, and KEF R900 series with matching center and surrounds?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

These should definitely be comparable with other well engineered speakers like the Revel. You would likely have to toe them in directly on axis if you like a "bright" speaker.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

These should definitely be comparable with other well engineered speakers like the Revel. You would likely have to toe them in directly on axis if you like a "bright" speaker.

Is this due to the tweeter not being as dynamic - dispertion wise, or "airy"?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

The Jade 7 looks similar in design, size, and weight with the Revel F208. I am not sure if the quality of crossovers and such are comparable. They virtually weigh in the same as well at around 80 pounds. Both also use aluminum tweeter. The Jade 7 does have one additonal midrange driver, and their cone material appears really high tech. Wharfedale also uses a design that differs from conventional ported or sealed speakers.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this due to the tweeter not being as dynamic - dispertion wise, or "airy"?

It's due to the flat on axis and smooth off axis response. If you dont toe the speakers in there will be a slight top end droop. You said you like bright speakers. These aren't bright, they're flat.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ Not usre if I am expressing myself properly in the audio world, but I like airy highs with a deep and three dimmensional soundstage, such as a ribbon tweeter can produce. Would a Denon 4311 receiver and Emotiva XPA-5 be a good match for the Jade 7, Center 2, and SR surround? Should I be worried that they are relatively low sensitivity speakers?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You're going to have to audition to determine if all of that meets your expectations. By nature of the well engineered design, they will give you what the recording has to offer. If you want something sparkly, you might want to look in a different direction.

As far as the output question, how big is your room, and how far away do you sit?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

You're going to have to audition to determine if all of that meets your expectations. By nature of the well engineered design, they will give you what the recording has to offer. If you want something sparkly, you might want to look in a different direction.

As far as the output question, how big is your room, and how far away do you sit?

Small 10 x 14 den. Will be listening from around 7 feet away. Have you auditioned these Jay? You are correct, the recording will have a major effect. I just do not enjoy "muffled" speakers.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

No I have not auditioned them. Your room is small, and you are sitting close. A simpler design may get you better results due to possible phase integration issues at only 2 meters from a 3+ way speaker. You wont have output issues with most any speaker featuring at least a 7" driver (depending on how deep of bass you're trying to get). Not sure exactly what your budget is, but something along these lines might be more to your taste

http://www.salksound.com/ellis%201801-tl%20-%20home.htm

http://www.salksound.com/veracity%20ht1-tl%20-%20home.htm

http://www.salksound.com/ht2-tl%20-%20home.htm
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Jay. I am not interested in the Salks, due to them not making surround specific speakers that can be wall mounted. They just offer bookshelves as an option, I believe. At this time, my decision is as follows, and please share your opinions:

1) Wharfedale Jade 7, C2, SR1
Never heard them. Low sensitivity, and not too much power handling. They look great, and a lot of engineering behind these.
2) Klipsch RF7, RC64, RS62
High sensitivity. heard them around two years ago. I liked the top end, but not much midbass coming from a 2-way design with 10-inch woofers. the looks are so-so. Great surround design.
3) Revel F208, C208, S206
Heard them. good bass and midbass, but poor top end reproduction. Narrow soundfield, not too airy sounding and not much soundstage. Surround color is not available in the same color as the towers and centers.
4) PSB T2, Center, and surround
Never heard these either. Great reviews on the T2's, but the center speaker does not impress me by design, when compared to others.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Thanks again Jay. I am not interested in the Salks, due to them not making surround specific speakers that can be wall mounted.

May I add a possibility to your list? The Legacy Audio Deco or Phantom wall-mount nicely but I have not had a chance to hear them yet. They've reviewed fairly well.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

May I add a possibility to your list? The Legacy Audio Deco or Phantom wall-mount nicely but I have not had a chance to hear them yet. They've reviewed fairly well.

I did consider Legacy. I was going with the Signature SE, Silverscreen center, and Deco as side surrounds; but was leary due to each towers, center, and surrounds all having different types of ribbons; thus having different upper frequency responses. Additionally, there are no measurements available for them.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks again Jay. I am not interested in the Salks, due to them not making surround specific speakers that can be wall mounted. They just offer bookshelves as an option, I believe. At this time, my decision is as follows, and please share your opinions:

1) Wharfedale Jade 7, C2, SR1
Never heard them. Low sensitivity, and not too much power handling. They look great, and a lot of engineering behind these.
2) Klipsch RF7, RC64, RS62
High sensitivity. heard them around two years ago. I liked the top end, but not much midbass coming from a 2-way design with 10-inch woofers. the looks are so-so. Great surround design.
3) Revel F208, C208, S206
Heard them. good bass and midbass, but poor top end reproduction. Narrow soundfield, not too airy sounding and not much soundstage. Surround color is not available in the same color as the towers and centers.
4) PSB T2, Center, and surround
Never heard these either. Great reviews on the T2's, but the center speaker does not impress me by design, when compared to others.

Salk will custom build almost any speaker you want. Check out these custom wall mount surrounds from Salk. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115381.0 I own a pair of older Wharfedale 9.6's, which I believe is their entry level line. If you like bright sounding speakers, I don't think Wharfedales are for you as they are known for the warm "British" sound. Very smooth and transparent, but not bright. I also have a pair of speakers that uses the same tweeter used in the Salk HT-2TL, and I wouldn't consider them to be bright. The speakers you list sound VERY different from one another. If you like bright speakers, and want a big center channel, you might consider Paradigm Studios. I also had some Paradigm Signatures that use a similar tweeter as the current Studios and they were on the bright side, but sounded awesome otherwise. I think they are overpriced nowadays, but you might be able to get 20-25% off MSRP Studios as there are rumors that about them being discontinued soon and that is a fair deal.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ Hi Danny, and thanks for the input. The Studio's were a great value when they were released, but their prices have gone up retail-wise by about 35%, making them overpriced in my book, even with a discount. Additionally, their quality has decreased quite a bit from my experience when I purchased some Monitor series 7 a while back. The sig's are nice, but quite a bit more. Yes, both Studio and Signature series are supposed to be redesigned. I believe that the Wharefedale 9.6's are a part of their entry level Diamond series. I will audition the Wharfedale Jade's. I imagine that they may sound similar to the Revel's, since they both have aluminum tweeters. The Klipsch I believe will sound the most different of the bunch.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM

I think Studios cost just about double what they did when the v.1 came out. Prices on the v.5 alone are up about 30% since the initial v.5 update.

BTW, if you haven't heard a speaker with a RAAL tweeter, it should be on your short list before dropping any cash. They are truly something to be heard. Not bright at all, very neutral actually but super super detailed, transparent, neutral and life like. I used to think brightness and detail in the highs went hand in hand until I heard the RAALs. I can turn mine up very high and they have more detail than my previous Paradigm Sigs, but without any of the harshness. I mean zero harshness and more detail. I apologize about the rant. I just love(yes this is true LOVE) the RAAL.biggrin.gif
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Danny, I was referring to just the increase in price of the current V5 Studio series:) I too love the sound of ribbons, even though I have never heard a RAAL ribbon. What is your set-up? Besides Internet Direct brands, such as Salk, Ascend, and Phil's, does any other manufacturer use the RAAL? I am only aware of Monitor Audio using ribbons, even though not the RAAL, and Legacy uses ribbons as welll.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM

I have Selah Prestigios, dual Epik Empires, Emotiva UPA-1's Parasound 2100 and some more stuff. I'm not sure if brands that sell through dealers use the RAAL tweeters, but if they do the speaker would no doubt be very very expensive. But there are tons of ID companies that use RAAL, Accuton, Fountek, Seas, BG etc... Check out the Audio Circle forum if you haven't already.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have the Jade 5 with JC2 beast center. They sound absolutely amazing when it comes to movies but they get a little high pitched when listening to music at high volumes. That's possibly because I am not throwing enough power at them at present. Currently looking for amp options to up the juice.

In terms of looks, they look even better in the flesh, gorgeous speakers.

Couple quick photos

Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ Will send you a PM.

Tags
Wharfdale Jade 7 Tower Speakers , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Klipsch Rf7black Classic Tower Speaker Black , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Surround Speaker Rs 62 , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp