Cheapest decent 5.0 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a home theater and it is great. Floor standing speakers, 7.1 surround, 18" SI D2 10cf subwoofer in the works, etc etc. However I also have a 50" TV in our bedroom. We just use the tv speakers because we mostly just watch SD tv on it. I have been considering getting a blu ray player for it that has netflix and would allow us to watch anything we want on it if we so choose. I got to thinking that it might be fun to get a really cheap 5.0 setup for it. Is there anything out there in the sub $100 range that is halfway decent. Obviously I don't want booming bass or hi fidelity. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
With that budget (and not planning on a sub) you'd likely be better off getting two bookshelf speakers as LF mains. In my bedroom I'm currently using a pair of Cambridge Audio S30's ($220 a pair). They play well at medium to low volume and have enough low-end to give a nice full sound - for both HT/TV and music.

The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speaker goes for about $130 a pair and are worth considering (you can often find them on sale for $100 a pair).

All the inexpensive 5.0 systems I know of are intended to work with a sub of some kind, and on their own have no low end, or really even any lower-mids.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

With that budget (and not planning on a sub) you'd likely be better off getting two bookshelf speakers as LF mains. In my bedroom I'm currently using a pair of Cambridge Audio S30's ($220 a pair). They play well at medium to low volume and have enough low-end to give a nice full sound - for both HT/TV and music.

The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speaker goes for about $130 a pair and are worth considering (you can often find them on sale for $100 a pair).

All the inexpensive 5.0 systems I know of are intended to work with a sub of some kind, and on their own have no low end, or really even any lower-mids.

+1. I don't know of any surround sound system worth owning around that price. It would be far better to just get a two channel setup, it will sound so much better. I would be looking at used speakers, and hope to get a good deal on some bookshelf speakers.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Do you already have a reciever? Second, you will get a huge bust in SQ with just two decent bookshelves...
That said, you won't get a decent pair of bookshelves and a AVR for 100 dollars.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #5 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I do have an AVR (Denon 1912) for my main theater, but that won't work for the bedroom. I was hoping there was a budget solution to 5.0. I basically want surround sound, with the ability to fall asleep to it (hence no .1)

Maybe I should rephrase my question. What is the absolute cheapest solution to 5.0 that you wouldn't throw up listening to?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 16
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-RC-Micro-Pack-Channel-Theater/dp/B006J0NZ6Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368846674&sr=8-5&keywords=energy+take

Main
Selah Prestigio Dual Epik Empires
Desk
GR Research N2x BIC F12 Ultrasone Pro 650 Velodyne vpulse
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #7 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
What is the best 5.0 that won't make you hurl? Impossible to answer, as everyones taste differ. But in general, if you aren't spending at least 100 dollars per speaker, you aren't likely getting much quality'

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
If you don't have a receiver/amp for the bedroom then passive speakers wont work.

Afro GT
post #9 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'd just get a soundbar.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

I'd just get a soundbar.

Yeah, That's what I was thinking too. Here's a really cheap one that has received good reviews. http://store.vizio.com/sb4020ma0.html

Main
Desk
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
post #11 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

What is the best 5.0 that won't make you hurl? Impossible to answer, as everyones taste differ. But in general, if you aren't spending at least 100 dollars per speaker, you aren't likely getting much quality'

LOL. That sure is a false statement. I just bought a brand new pair of Polk towers from Polk Audio Direct (Polk Audio's eBay store) for $179 including Fed Ex shipping. I don't judge my speakers by how much they cost. I judge my speakers by their sound and quality. The matching new center (from Polk Audio Direct as well) was $63 and the matching new subwoofer was $80 (from a private eBay seller who had changed his mind and gone Bose, he hadn't even opened the box) all brand new and included shipping. You don't have to spend gobs of money to get good sound and quality. You just have to spend a little time researching your purchase and searching out deals.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good pricing on the towers and center but if the subwoofer was a Polk PSW-10, that can barely be called subwoofer.

Which towers did you get?

Afro GT
post #13 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Good pricing on the towers and center but if the subwoofer was a Polk PSW-10, that can barely be called subwoofer.

Which towers did you get?

All of my speakers are from the Polk Audio Monitor lineup. Personally, to me the older line has a better sound.

Thank you for your OPINION but I will go with the experts who measure speakers scientifically. I have never read of any Polk Audio speakers getting a bad review from the experts yet they are constantly berated on AVS. I will take the AVS opinions of Polk Audio products with a grain of salt. Too many AVS people get kind of snobbish and think for something to be good it has to have a prestigious brand name and cost several thousand dollars. I even read one post the other day on AVS berating another poster saying the majority of AVS people are highly educated and make high incomes so he basically didn't fit in here. That kind of stuff is out of line on a public forum. I will be building my whole 92", 1080p, overhead projector, Home Theater for under $2,000. I bought my used, 1080p, Sanyo PLV-Z700 projector for $360 with less than 800 hours from new on it. It is still running its original bulb. I did a lot of research before purchasing it and it is highly reviewed. Most of my stuff is coming from eBay and Menard's but I will be very happy with it. Could it be better if I had more money? I am sure it could. No one I personally know makes the kind of money most claim to have on AVS yet I have 3 earned college degrees and worked in a professional occupation for 31 years before I retired. I think a lot of the posturing on AVS is just that, posturing and not true. It is done to make one look good as there is no way of checking if it is true or not on an internet forum.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you're getting little sensitive there.

I believe the Monitor speakers are fine, in fact I've recommended them plenty of times over the years for people looking for a nice home theater system.

I just think the PSW-10 sub sucks. And you didn't even confirm you had that sub, so why so defensive? confused.gif

Afro GT
post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Where are the measurements for those Polk Monitor speakers? I can't believe they would be that great. I very much doubt anyone ever bought Polk Monitors based on scientific measurements. This is not coming from the stand point of audio snobbery either. This is coming from the stand point that you can do better for the same money. I don't mean to knock Polk in particular either, as I don't think their Rti line is that bad. I think the Monitor and Tsi line have an awful tweeter. And you can do better than their subs as well. I think the Dayton 1200 would be better, and it is commensurate with the PSW-10's street price.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Where are the measurements for those Polk Monitor speakers? I can't believe they would be that great. I very much doubt anyone ever bought Polk Monitors based on scientific measurements. This is not coming from the stand point of audio snobbery either. This is coming from the stand point that you can do better for the same money. I don't mean to knock Polk in particular either, as I don't think their Rti line is that bad. I think the Monitor and Tsi line have an awful tweeter. And you can do better than their subs as well. I think the Dayton 1200 would be better, and it is commensurate with the PSW-10's street price.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion but I disagree with you. That is why they make both chocolate and vanilla. There is no way to settle this as you are hearing something different than what I am so lets quit trading barbs, To my ears Polk Audio is the best for the money. Your ears may hear something different and that is fine but ti was my purchase so I bought the Polks.

As to measurements go to the Polk Audio web site or any of the better HomeTheater / Audio magazines. The only place I ever heard Polk Audio knocked is on AVS so I have come to consider it a bias of the source.

You would be wrong on what people buy speakers on. Matthew Polk and his technology has a loyal following and his former partner even came out of retirement to carry it over to Definitive Technology.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

You certainly are entitled to your opinion but I disagree with you. That is why they make both chocolate and vanilla. There is no way to settle this as you are hearing something different than what I am so lets quit trading barbs, To my ears Polk Audio is the best for the money. Your ears may hear something different and that is fine but ti was my purchase so I bought the Polks.

As to measurements go to the Polk Audio web site or any of the better HomeTheater / Audio magazines. The only place I ever heard Polk Audio knocked is on AVS so I have come to consider it a bias of the source.

You would be wrong on what people buy speakers on. Matthew Polk and his technology has a loyal following and his former partner even came out of retirement to carry it over to Definitive Technology.

I'm interested in what speakers you have heard other than Polk or any of the big box store type brands.

You don't have to be making millions to be able to buy good speakers, just as you don't need 3 college degrees to make X amount of dollars.

Main
Desk
TV
Wharfedale 9.6
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page