The OFFICIAL (Yet Informal) Harbeth Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
After being loyal, to another hi-end brand of speaker...and avidly following it's owner's group, here at AVS; I have been a Harbeth owner, for about 6 months now. As I was getting to know, these fantastic speakers...I was surprised and disappointed, that Harbeth didn't have a similar thread here. I almost started one myself, some time back; but I wanted to make sure that my love for them was not a temporary fling...lol. After all...how would that look; if the starter of the official thread, baled on the very speakers themselves, after a short-lived trial.

Well...I suppose this thread, is testament to the fact that I don't see that happening anytime soon. biggrin.gif My love of these speakers is real, and long-lasting! As such...I want to share with others; their love, and experiences with Harbeths.

I can only assume, it didn't have a thread until now...because most owners posted at the HUG (Harbeth User group) instead. IDK; I went to sign up there, and it said I had to have something interesting about me...to become and maintain membership (like if I ceased to be interesting...I would be kicked out? lol). It made me think, it might all be a bit too serious and stuffy over there.

So...here's a space, for Harbeth owners to let their hair down a bit; and talk Harbeth and other kit. I'll get it started; here's a pic of my latest rig. I just switched-out some gear (I'm trying this VTL 2.5/Belles Ref 150a v2 combo...against an ARC VSi-55 IA); that's why things look a bit un-tidy.

So...let's hear from you, Harbeth owners; and welcome!

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WoW; really? I didn't panic; I gave it well over a full week. NO ONE to post, in this new Harbeth thread?? eek.gif

Well...I guess that explains, why no one's ever created one before. I mean, I know AVS is more of an HT-centric forum; and while we see other speaker brands talked about here...Harbeth is probably not anyone's first choice, when it comes to HT...lol.

But I can't believe, there isn't at least a small faction of Harbeth owner's here. So this post will bump the thread, and we'll try one more time. Harbeth owner's...where are y'all? All over at the HUG? Come on; let's get a little Harbeth talk going here! biggrin.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love my harbeth super 5 30th anniversaries amp is classe omicron stereo cat sl1 ultimate pre SME 10 Benz cart Mac mini using amarra and oppa105 as dac I'm in heaven. Also have an Ayre V-3 as a backup amp love it.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

WoW; really? I didn't panic; I gave it well over a full week. NO ONE to post, in this new Harbeth thread?? eek.gif

Well...I guess that explains, why no one's ever created one before. I mean, I know AVS is more of an HT-centric forum; and while we see other speaker brands talked about here...Harbeth is probably not anyone's first choice, when it comes to HT...lol.

But I can't believe, there isn't at least a small faction of Harbeth owner's here. So this post will bump the thread, and we'll try one more time. Harbeth owner's...where are y'all? All over at the HUG? Come on; let's get a little Harbeth talk going here! biggrin.gif
See my post
post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

I love my harbeth super 5 30th anniversaries amp is classe omicron stereo cat sl1 ultimate pre SME 10 Benz cart Mac mini using amarra and oppa105 as dac I'm in heaven. Also have an Ayre V-3 as a backup amp love it.

Thanks for posting Wadia. I just secured another pair of 7s...and have been swapping-out, and trying LOTS of gear. I am searching for something "just right", to mate up with the Harbeths.

Classe Omicron's are HUGE, power-wise, yes; 300/600? That's one of the things that I really wonder; Harbeths don't seem like they'd need a lot of power. I drove the 7s quite nicely, with an ARC VSi-55 IA last time. But I have read, they respond well to BIG power. Have you tried it both ways?

Too bad more Harbeth owner's, haven't found their way to posting here. frown.gif

post #6 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 PM

It's not really about power more a headroom thing. Think of a four cylinder engine going 70 mph and an 8 cylinder engine doing the same speed I know which engine I would rather be behind over a long period of time. I also have a pair of prima seven mono blocs the use four kt 88 per side. Like them prefer the classe over the Ayre and the Prima's.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:

After being loyal, to another hi-end brand of speaker...and avidly following it's owner's group, here at AVS; I have been a Harbeth owner, for about 6 months now. As I was getting to know, these fantastic speakers...I was surprised and disappointed, that Harbeth didn't have a similar thread here. I almost started one myself, some time back; but I wanted to make sure that my love for them was not a temporary fling...lol. After all...how would that look; if the starter of the official thread, baled on the very speakers themselves, after a short-lived trial.
CDlehner
Well...I suppose this thread, is testament to the fact that I don't see that happening anytime soon. biggrin.gif My love of these speakers is real, and long-lasting! As such...I want to share with others; their love, and experiences with Harbeths.

I can only assume, it didn't have a thread until now...because most owners posted at the HUG (Harbeth User group) instead. IDK; I went to sign up there, and it said I had to have something interesting about me...to become and maintain membership (like if I ceased to be interesting...I would be kicked out? lol). It made me think, it might all be a bit too serious and stuffy over there.

So...here's a space, for Harbeth owners to let their hair down a bit; and talk Harbeth and other kit. I'll get it started; here's a pic of my latest rig. I just switched-out some gear (I'm trying this VTL 2.5/Belles Ref 150a v2 combo...against an ARC VSi-55 IA); that's why things look a bit un-tidy.

So...let's hear from you, Harbeth owners; and welcome!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting Wadia. I just secured another pair of 7s...and have been swapping-out, and trying LOTS of gear. I am searching for something "just right", to mate up with the Harbeths.

Classe Omicron's are HUGE, power-wise, yes; 300/600? That's one of the things that I really wonder; Harbeths don't seem like they'd need a lot of power. I drove the 7s quite nicely, with an ARC VSi-55 IA last time. But I have read, they respond well to BIG power. Have you tried it both ways?

Too bad more Harbeth owner's, haven't found their way to posting here. frown.gif
Just wanted to tell you I'm getting a pair of 40.1 this weekend I can't wait I will use my super 5 for my bedroom should be a great bedroom system. Anyway I like your setup looks very cozy and intimate I bet it sounds gorgeous. I love the Harbeth sound they are such a great value. A lot of people waste a ton of money on speakers that cost thousands more. I have a buddy of mine who has a pair of Wilson Sasha's he came over the other night and was blown away loved the sound over his Wilson's but he said you can't play at 117 db and I said I don't want to. Lol!!! I will let you know what I think of the 40's over the super 5. Now all we need is a Harbeth center I would be in heaven.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 12
Hi CD
I followed the "other brand" users group for some time while I was researching their speakers (which I eventually bought). I really enjoyed your postings even when you rattled some cages. Wondered where you had got to and had a hunch you may be on Harbeths group.
Anyway I hope you succeed with getting people to join up. It's always interesting when you're around and I hope others take the opportunity to get involved. I'm not sure Harbeths have a distributor in Australia but even if they do the prices would be prohibitive.
Btw have you tried the Primare line of equipment ? You should give them a whirl.
Richard
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Liked: 15
Just ordered Compact 7's....they arrive next week. I'll hopefully be able to add my 2cents to this thread once I get them. They sounded great in the demo room at the local hifi shop....can't wait!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

Just wanted to tell you I'm getting a pair of 40.1 this weekend I can't wait I will use my super 5 for my bedroom should be a great bedroom system. Anyway I like your setup looks very cozy and intimate I bet it sounds gorgeous. I love the Harbeth sound they are such a great value. A lot of people waste a ton of money on speakers that cost thousands more. I have a buddy of mine who has a pair of Wilson Sasha's he came over the other night and was blown away loved the sound over his Wilson's but he said you can't play at 117 db and I said I don't want to. Lol!!! I will let you know what I think of the 40's over the super 5. Now all we need is a Harbeth center I would be in heaven.

Hi wadia,

I heard about Harbeth only a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking to buy a pair of 40.1 myself. Did you get your pair? Can you please post your impressions here? It will help tremendously.

Thanks a lot!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting ready to place an order for a pair of 30.1s!

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page