The OFFICIAL (Yet Informal) Harbeth Owner's Thread - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 593
After being loyal, to another hi-end brand of speaker...and avidly following it's owner's group, here at AVS; I have been a Harbeth owner, for about 6 months now. As I was getting to know, these fantastic speakers...I was surprised and disappointed, that Harbeth didn't have a similar thread here. I almost started one myself, some time back; but I wanted to make sure that my love for them was not a temporary fling...lol. After all...how would that look; if the starter of the official thread, baled on the very speakers themselves, after a short-lived trial.

Well...I suppose this thread, is testament to the fact that I don't see that happening anytime soon. biggrin.gif My love of these speakers is real, and long-lasting! As such...I want to share with others; their love, and experiences with Harbeths.

I can only assume, it didn't have a thread until now...because most owners posted at the HUG (Harbeth User group) instead. IDK; I went to sign up there, and it said I had to have something interesting about me...to become and maintain membership (like if I ceased to be interesting...I would be kicked out? lol). It made me think, it might all be a bit too serious and stuffy over there.

So...here's a space, for Harbeth owners to let their hair down a bit; and talk Harbeth and other kit. I'll get it started; here's a pic of my latest rig. I just switched-out some gear (I'm trying this VTL 2.5/Belles Ref 150a v2 combo...against an ARC VSi-55 IA); that's why things look a bit un-tidy.

So...let's hear from you, Harbeth owners; and welcome!

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100 > Auralic Vega > Wyred4Sound STP > Merrill Audio THOR > KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S. > NuPrime IDA-16 > Wyred4Sound mAMPS > ScanSonic MB-1s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WoW; really? I didn't panic; I gave it well over a full week. NO ONE to post, in this new Harbeth thread?? eek.gif

Well...I guess that explains, why no one's ever created one before. I mean, I know AVS is more of an HT-centric forum; and while we see other speaker brands talked about here...Harbeth is probably not anyone's first choice, when it comes to HT...lol.

But I can't believe, there isn't at least a small faction of Harbeth owner's here. So this post will bump the thread, and we'll try one more time. Harbeth owner's...where are y'all? All over at the HUG? Come on; let's get a little Harbeth talk going here! biggrin.gif

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100 > Auralic Vega > Wyred4Sound STP > Merrill Audio THOR > KEF Reference 1s
post #3 of 21 Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love my harbeth super 5 30th anniversaries amp is classe omicron stereo cat sl1 ultimate pre SME 10 Benz cart Mac mini using amarra and oppa105 as dac I'm in heaven. Also have an Ayre V-3 as a backup amp love it.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

WoW; really? I didn't panic; I gave it well over a full week. NO ONE to post, in this new Harbeth thread?? eek.gif

Well...I guess that explains, why no one's ever created one before. I mean, I know AVS is more of an HT-centric forum; and while we see other speaker brands talked about here...Harbeth is probably not anyone's first choice, when it comes to HT...lol.

But I can't believe, there isn't at least a small faction of Harbeth owner's here. So this post will bump the thread, and we'll try one more time. Harbeth owner's...where are y'all? All over at the HUG? Come on; let's get a little Harbeth talk going here! biggrin.gif
See my post
post #5 of 21 Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

I love my harbeth super 5 30th anniversaries amp is classe omicron stereo cat sl1 ultimate pre SME 10 Benz cart Mac mini using amarra and oppa105 as dac I'm in heaven. Also have an Ayre V-3 as a backup amp love it.

Thanks for posting Wadia. I just secured another pair of 7s...and have been swapping-out, and trying LOTS of gear. I am searching for something "just right", to mate up with the Harbeths.

Classe Omicron's are HUGE, power-wise, yes; 300/600? That's one of the things that I really wonder; Harbeths don't seem like they'd need a lot of power. I drove the 7s quite nicely, with an ARC VSi-55 IA last time. But I have read, they respond well to BIG power. Have you tried it both ways?

Too bad more Harbeth owner's, haven't found their way to posting here. frown.gif

SYSTEMS-
post #6 of 21 Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 PM

It's not really about power more a headroom thing. Think of a four cylinder engine going 70 mph and an 8 cylinder engine doing the same speed I know which engine I would rather be behind over a long period of time. I also have a pair of prima seven mono blocs the use four kt 88 per side. Like them prefer the classe over the Ayre and the Prima's.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:

After being loyal, to another hi-end brand of speaker...and avidly following it's owner's group, here at AVS; I have been a Harbeth owner, for about 6 months now. As I was getting to know, these fantastic speakers...I was surprised and disappointed, that Harbeth didn't have a similar thread here. I almost started one myself, some time back; but I wanted to make sure that my love for them was not a temporary fling...lol. After all...how would that look; if the starter of the official thread, baled on the very speakers themselves, after a short-lived trial.
CDlehner
Well...I suppose this thread, is testament to the fact that I don't see that happening anytime soon. biggrin.gif My love of these speakers is real, and long-lasting! As such...I want to share with others; their love, and experiences with Harbeths.

I can only assume, it didn't have a thread until now...because most owners posted at the HUG (Harbeth User group) instead. IDK; I went to sign up there, and it said I had to have something interesting about me...to become and maintain membership (like if I ceased to be interesting...I would be kicked out? lol). It made me think, it might all be a bit too serious and stuffy over there.

So...here's a space, for Harbeth owners to let their hair down a bit; and talk Harbeth and other kit. I'll get it started; here's a pic of my latest rig. I just switched-out some gear (I'm trying this VTL 2.5/Belles Ref 150a v2 combo...against an ARC VSi-55 IA); that's why things look a bit un-tidy.

So...let's hear from you, Harbeth owners; and welcome!
post #8 of 21 Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting Wadia. I just secured another pair of 7s...and have been swapping-out, and trying LOTS of gear. I am searching for something "just right", to mate up with the Harbeths.

Classe Omicron's are HUGE, power-wise, yes; 300/600? That's one of the things that I really wonder; Harbeths don't seem like they'd need a lot of power. I drove the 7s quite nicely, with an ARC VSi-55 IA last time. But I have read, they respond well to BIG power. Have you tried it both ways?

Too bad more Harbeth owner's, haven't found their way to posting here. frown.gif
Just wanted to tell you I'm getting a pair of 40.1 this weekend I can't wait I will use my super 5 for my bedroom should be a great bedroom system. Anyway I like your setup looks very cozy and intimate I bet it sounds gorgeous. I love the Harbeth sound they are such a great value. A lot of people waste a ton of money on speakers that cost thousands more. I have a buddy of mine who has a pair of Wilson Sasha's he came over the other night and was blown away loved the sound over his Wilson's but he said you can't play at 117 db and I said I don't want to. Lol!!! I will let you know what I think of the 40's over the super 5. Now all we need is a Harbeth center I would be in heaven.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 12
Hi CD
I followed the "other brand" users group for some time while I was researching their speakers (which I eventually bought). I really enjoyed your postings even when you rattled some cages. Wondered where you had got to and had a hunch you may be on Harbeths group.
Anyway I hope you succeed with getting people to join up. It's always interesting when you're around and I hope others take the opportunity to get involved. I'm not sure Harbeths have a distributor in Australia but even if they do the prices would be prohibitive.
Btw have you tried the Primare line of equipment ? You should give them a whirl.
Richard
post #10 of 21 Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just ordered Compact 7's....they arrive next week. I'll hopefully be able to add my 2cents to this thread once I get them. They sounded great in the demo room at the local hifi shop....can't wait!
post #11 of 21 Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

Just wanted to tell you I'm getting a pair of 40.1 this weekend I can't wait I will use my super 5 for my bedroom should be a great bedroom system. Anyway I like your setup looks very cozy and intimate I bet it sounds gorgeous. I love the Harbeth sound they are such a great value. A lot of people waste a ton of money on speakers that cost thousands more. I have a buddy of mine who has a pair of Wilson Sasha's he came over the other night and was blown away loved the sound over his Wilson's but he said you can't play at 117 db and I said I don't want to. Lol!!! I will let you know what I think of the 40's over the super 5. Now all we need is a Harbeth center I would be in heaven.

Hi wadia,

I heard about Harbeth only a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking to buy a pair of 40.1 myself. Did you get your pair? Can you please post your impressions here? It will help tremendously.

Thanks a lot!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'm getting ready to place an order for a pair of 30.1s!

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
post #13 of 21 Old 11-12-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi are there any Harbeth Multichannel owners here?
post #14 of 21 Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticfish View Post
Just ordered Compact 7's....they arrive next week. I'll hopefully be able to add my 2cents to this thread once I get them. They sounded great in the demo room at the local hifi shop....can't wait!
Did you get the 7's? How do they sound? Been thinking of either those or the SHL5 plus (though those will probably be too big for my small room).

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #15 of 21 Old 01-02-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Kpt,
The 7's are awesome. They will last a lifetime....I won't need to ever replace. They are in a 21'x15' room and work great. Highly recommended. If you are in the Ottawa or Toronto area, Planet of Sound carries Harbeths.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
just took delivery of these babies....

post #17 of 21 Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
just took delivery of these babies....

Beautiful!

How do they sound?

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

very detailed and big sound stage for such small speakers. They need 150-200 hours to break in according to the dealer. They are getting lots of play and so far I find that they sound best a little further apart and slightly toed in.They can also be placed closer to the wall behind them because of the sealed enclosure. I have them on B&W stands that normally hold my 805 signatures. Musically they just disappear like the B&W's, unlike the Bryston Mini A"s I had that were very detailed in a more live performance way,but you were always aware of the speakers being there.

Last edited by gene9p; 05-08-2015 at 06:28 AM.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
very detailed and big sound stage for such small speakers. They need 150-200 hours to break in according to the dealer. They are getting lots of play and so far I find that they sound best a little further apart and slightly toed in.They can also be placed closer to the wall behind them because of the sealed enclosure. I have them on B&W stands that normally hold my 805 signatures. Musically they just disappear like the B&W's, unlike the Bryston Mini A"s I had that were very detailed in a more live performance way,but you were always aware of the speakers being there.
Thanks!

Do you have a preference between these and the B&W in terms of sound?
post #20 of 21 Old Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post
Thanks!

Do you have a preference between these and the B&W in terms of sound?
Too early to give a fair comparison as the P3's need to break in but I can tell you both have beautiful detail and big soundstages. The B&W sig's are a larger and much more expensive speaker than the P3's. Not too many were made and it is a beautiful hand made speaker also from the UK, when B&W was still making all their speakers there. It's going to be tough to outperform the sig's in every aspect of performance. The larger B&W bookshelf goes deeper and background instruments are more audible. Vocals always sound great and I have never had a problem with brightness that others complain about. They also work well with all sorts and brands of cables. I can tell you the Bryston Mini A's could be really harsh at times causing me to try and tame them with different interconnects, especially my turntable. I originally had a pair of 805n's that I loved and sold to get a pair of theil 1.6's. .That was a huge mistake and luckily I was able to sell the Theil's and came across a local dealer that had the 805's sitting there as demo's not being used at all so I snatched them right up. So you know I love the sound of B&W's 805 line. The Harbeth's have their work cut out for them and they are off to a great start. The sound and detail right out of the box was fantastic and given time I expect they will really take off and then we'll see how they stack up. One thing for sure, I will never sell my 805 sigs and the P3's are on that same path. No way they are getting on the fast track outta here like the Theils .

my 805 signatures in bird's eye red

Last edited by gene9p; Today at 08:41 AM.
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Too early to give a fair comparison as the P3's need to break in but I can tell you both have beautiful detail and big soundstages. The B&W sig's are a larger and much more expensive speaker than the P3's. Not too many were made and it is a beautiful hand made speaker also from the UK, when B&W was still making all their speakers there. It's going to be tough to outperform the sig's in every aspect of performance. The larger B&W bookshelf goes deeper and background instruments are more audible. Vocals always sound great and I have never had a problem with brightness that others complain about. They also work well with all sorts and brands of cables. I can tell you the Bryston Mini A's could be really harsh at times causing me to try and tame them with different interconnects, especially my turntable. I originally had a pair of 805n's that I loved and sold to get a pair of theil 1.6's. .That was a huge mistake and luckily I was able to sell the Theil's and came across a local dealer that had the 805's sitting there as demo's not being used at all so I snatched them right up. So you know I love the sound of B&W's 805 line. The Harbeth's have their work cut out for them and they are off to a great start. The sound and detail right out of the box was fantastic and given time I expect they will really take off and then we'll see how they stack up. One thing for sure, I will never sell my 805 sigs and the P3's are on that same path. No way they are getting on the fast track outta here like the Theils .

my 805 signatures in bird's eye red

Thanks!
Perhaps you can share your views once the Harbeth have broken in?

Those 805s look gorgeous!

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers