can wiring speakers out of phase be beneficial due to room placement ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok guys, i'm in possession of some studio grade speakers and 2 stereoamps.

I have my speakers bi amped with 4 x 200w @ 8 ohm where 2 channels each drive 2 8 inch woofers and the other two channels each drive 2 5 inch midband and a tweeter. It's a sealed woofer design.

i have my speakers placed along the long wall in a room of 3*5 meters, so they are place in a lesser ideal manner.

when i place my speakers well into the room and listnen in nearfield everything just fine, but i'm not very happy with bass performance.

when i place my speakers closer to the corners of the room (following cardas triangle of 1 of the backwall, 1,618 of the sidewall) i get great bass performance but the soundstage dissipates Now a buddy of mine recommended me wiring the mids and tweeter out of phase, and sure enough, i got perfect imaging and great bass now.

Has anyone ever heard of these techniques ? am i supposed to hear some other things in the sound now that maybe are not right due to the out of phase wiring ?

to be clear, the bass sections are still wired in phase, the mids and higs are now outta phase...

any thoughts ?

grtz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Some speakers are designed with the MR drivers wired out of phase. But the operative word is designed.

The obvious solution to getting both great soundstage & good bass is to place those speakers for best soundstage presentation and add a sub, placed near the wall.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

well damn, i'm sure that's good advice because after a call with the designer he mentioned these front ends where designed to work with a subwoofer, he actually recommended crossing them over at 60 hz....
not sure what to do know since i really do not want a sub in the livingroom, i think i'll be looking to replace these babies with something cabable of 20-30 hz.

that being sad, the designer also mentioned that if u need to wire the speakers out of phase to make them sound in phase in a particular room that it is not detrimental in any way, he did mention though that in my case my advantage was that i was biamping, since the bassmodules where still wired in phase, while i only need to wire the mids and highs outta phase...

any thoughts on this statement ?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
The bass is not really in phase, either. The term of 'in phase' is referring to all drivers are moving in the exact same direction at the same time. As soon as you reverse the HF or MF, or both then they are out of phase with the bass.

If you like the resulting sound of them being out of phase, then its all good. If you think its still lacking somehow, then you either need to add a sub or get different speakers.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The term of 'in phase' is referring to all drivers are moving in the exact same direction at the same time.
That's polarity, not phase. They're related, but they're not the same.
Quote:
the designer also mentioned that if u need to wire the speakers out of phase to make them sound in phase in a particular room that it is not detrimental in any way, he did mention though that in my case my advantage was that i was biamping, since the bassmodules where still wired in phase, while i only need to wire the mids and highs outta phase...
When 2nd order/2nd order crossovers are used it's often necessary to wire one of the driver sections with reverse polarity to account for the phase shift within the crossover. What's happening in your case one can't say without having complete specific details on the system.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys, it was really helpful, i've done additional tests and i can now say although still wired out of phase, the polarity of the system is dead on, the mids are in phase with the bass modules so i'm happy for the time being.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page