Do I really need Expensive Speakers for Home Theater? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know what this thread has become, I don't even understand what some o you guys are taking about.

Anyways, max budget for front left and right $1200 pair

Room size 20X20 and one side is open to kitchen, foyer.

I want it loud enough to get the impact of the movie, for example in the dark knight rises, the first scene has so much bass that in IMAX I thoroughly enjoyed that sound and it made me enjoy the movie even more. I am not saying I want the same in my house, but at least the impact of the sound should be felt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I don't know what this thread has become, I don't even understand what some o you guys are taking about.

I want it loud enough to get the impact of the movie, for example in the dark knight rises, the first scene has so much bass that in IMAX I thoroughly enjoyed that sound and it made me enjoy the movie even more. I am not saying I want the same in my house, but at least the impact of the sound should be felt.

Maybe I missed it, but what sub(s) will you be using with these new speakers?
post #63 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

The real impact like that is from the subwoofers, that's for sure. I would use two of them and focus a good portion of your budget in that direction.

In my opinion, best quality for your dollar in that situation would be the Jamo D500 at $349 each. http://www.jamo.com/speaker-lines/thx-speakers/D500/?sku=D500LCR

These could be placed either in a cabinet or (this looks really cool, BTW) mounted below your flat panel. Installation height recommendations are in the manual. This would put your front 3 speakers at a total cost of $1047 MSRP. Certainly room for a discount in that as well to get all three below $1,000.

That would just leave your rears and your subs.

If this not a good look for you and you wanted something more traditional like floor standing speakers I would consider something like the KEF Q500 at $550 each MSRP and the Q200C matching center for $500.

EDIT: Without knowing more about your room, installation capabilities, desired look, etc. it's tought for me to really recommend real focused solution.

Actually, I really LOVE these: http://phasetechnology.com/products.cfm?category_id=In-Wall&product_id=CI-150 MSRP is $1,500 a set (should be able to be purchased for around $1,200), but the center channel is matrixed between them into the bottom drivers so you don't have to purchase more than this pair for your fronts.

These are one of my favorite in-wall setups. Two of these covers your L/C/R needsby getting installed in the wall just to the left and right of your display. These play loud and clean with impact sounding much larger than what they are. We typically install these around 50-70" TVs and they sound HUGE.

Just something to consider. Options are a good thing.
post #64 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Bass will be coming from your sub system, not the speakers. What are you currently using? I doubt that it is enough for a 20' x 20' room.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #65 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is going to be for the house where I will be moving soon. I have not yet decided on the sub. I am trying to piecemeal, but want to decide on the brand od speakers so that I can slowly add, want to start with the front L/C/R.
post #66 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I lean towards the ID Brands… but in your budget range, you should be able to get good speakers. I would spend around $500 to $600 for a sub. Surrounds, you can go cheap for around $100 to $200 each. Direct radiating surrounds…. not everybody agrees, some like bipoles.
post #67 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
If you can afford even the least expensive of these - http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder - you will feel the " impact of the sound " !! biggrin.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #68 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is going to be for the house where I will be moving soon. I have not yet decided on the sub. I am trying to piecemeal, but want to decide on the brand od speakers so that I can slowly add, want to start with the front L/C/R.

With that in mind (you don't own a sub now) I would probably go with the Infinity Primus speakers mentioned in this thread. Good value for the money, and pretty solid for home theater. There is also the Ascend Acoustics 340's that would be great as well:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

I tend to favor the Ascend's myself.

If you went with either of these solutions, you could add one of these, and another down the road and still be on budget:
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15
post #69 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about the def tech mythos towers, I know they are above the price range that I mentioned, but reading a little on them they do get good reviews.
post #70 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

Like everyone says, the IMPACT is the subs, not the speakers. Put the money in 2 subs, less on the speakers if you have a budget.
post #71 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the def tech mythos towers, I know they are above the price range that I mentioned, but reading a little on them they do get good reviews.

They sound good, but that would take the money from your subs budget.
post #72 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

I'm not a fan of them. I think they sound pretty thin.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #73 of 76 Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Like everyone says, the IMPACT is the subs, not the speakers. Put the money in 2 subs, less on the speakers if you have a budget.
It isn't real clear to me your relative music vs movie priority. However, I have a 12" 160Watt RMS sub (I paid about $300, 12 years ago) that can shake things… as a matter of fact… more so than many movie theaters. I also recently listened to a system with a pair of JTR Captivator S2 subs. While these two subs had the capability of damaging a house… I didn't walk away with the feeling that I needed new subs.

Case in point. Saturday, I went to see Star Trek - Into the Darkness. Sunday, I listened to the Previous Star Trek. I am assuming that they are mixed about the same based upon the fact that JJ Abrams directed both movies. Anyway, many of the dynamics were better in my home system. My listening room isn't big… but it does open to the kitchen… so not real small. I used to have the sub in a basement that was considerably larger. I had it turned up a little more, but it did fine.

But, I think a single sub like the rythmik LV12R at $589 would be enough… ok more can be better…. Also other brands like SVS and others should do fine. But, a 12" sub with 300 Watts plus, can rattle pictures and shake your walls and add amazing punch.
post #74 of 76 Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D54Smith View Post

It isn't real clear to me your relative music vs movie priority. However, I have a 12" 160Watt RMS sub (I paid about $300, 12 years ago) that can shake things… as a matter of fact… more so than many movie theaters. I also recently listened to a system with a pair of JTR Captivator S2 subs. While these two subs had the capability of damaging a house… I didn't walk away with the feeling that I needed new subs.

Case in point. Saturday, I went to see Star Trek - Into the Darkness. Sunday, I listened to the Previous Star Trek. I am assuming that they are mixed about the same based upon the fact that JJ Abrams directed both movies. Anyway, many of the dynamics were better in my home system. My listening room isn't big… but it does open to the kitchen… so not real small. I used to have the sub in a basement that was considerably larger. I had it turned up a little more, but it did fine.

But, I think a single sub like the rythmik LV12R at $589 would be enough… ok more can be better…. Also other brands like SVS and others should do fine. But, a 12" sub with 300 Watts plus, can rattle pictures and shake your walls and add amazing punch.

You might even be fine with an SVS PB1000 then. Will save you about $100.
post #75 of 76 Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D54Smith View Post

I think diminishing returns and bias apply to all things - subs, speakers, AVR, amps, etc.

In a true DBT, I bet a lot of people wouldn't be able to differentiate between the Infinity P163 + sub vs some $2K towers. Of course, everyone claims he can, but it's never a DBT. biggrin.gif

Bass output can be easier to tell, but only if the difference in output is significant.
post #76 of 76 Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For movie viewing, take a look at Klipsch, KL-650 THX. http://www.klipsch.com/kl-650-thx-bookshelf-speaker

+1 and a great recommendation. They also sound great for two channel listening as well. Very neutral.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Paradigm Studio 60 , Definitive Technology Cs 8040hd Speaker Center Channel , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Tsi300 Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page