How well would a bi-pole speaker work for gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at a set of Polk FXi A4s. I think it will be great for movies, but I do a lot of gaming as well and I'm wondering how well that will work. I don't have any experience at all with bi/di speakers, but I was thinking maybe I could put it on bi-pole mode and have it so the side with the woofer is pointing at me, and since it's only a tweeter on the other side the woofer side can still be directional while the tweeters adds ambiance. Does this make sense or am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Are you talking about as surrounds as intended or as mains? As surrounds personally I've used such but now use normal front firing speakers.

Around here we have DiFi for a senator and I've always wondered if she wasnt biDi wink.gif

post #3 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have been more clear. They'd be for the surrounds in a 5.1 system.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know? I tried searching for threads asking similar questions and there‘s never an answer.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

There really isn't an answer except is it acceptable to you? Sure it would work, but would you like the way they sound over a traditional speaker design is very subjective....and which way you would orient it would depend on you and your room. Either experiment with them or pass on them would be my suggestion...FWIW I had in the same series some speakers of traditional design as the dipoles and switched them out, there wasn't a huge difference, both those speakers simply got replaced as I went on to bigger and better speakers....

PS why is gaming special for surround sound? I'm not aware of anything in particular but I'm not a gamer either

post #6 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been a computer fps gamer for over 10 years now and how well a speaker images is critical to the success of competitive gaming. With that said I find it very difficult to game with speakers because of room dynamics. I have invested in higher end headphones with a dedicated headphone amp and this has served me very well. When it comes to movies and music though, I love that visceral feeling you get when the speakers and subs are pounding away. I find my headphones have more clarity in the audio spectrum but the imaging is just different than speakers i dont know how to describe it though.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

I've been a computer fps gamer for over 10 years now and how well a speaker images is critical to the success of competitive gaming. With that said I find it very difficult to game with speakers because of room dynamics. I have invested in higher end headphones with a dedicated headphone amp and this has served me very well. When it comes to movies and music though, I love that visceral feeling you get when the speakers and subs are pounding away. I find my headphones have more clarity in the audio spectrum but the imaging is just different than speakers i dont know how to describe it though.

Is this a particular type of game? I like driving games and don't find the audio is particularly that important at all except to have some good tunes on while you drive wink.gif

Are the games mastered in a studio using multi monitors....or perhaps on headphones since that's the way many play?

post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Is this a particular type of game? I like driving games and don't find the audio is particularly that important at all except to have some good tunes on while you drive wink.gif

Are the games mastered in a studio using multi monitors....or perhaps on headphones since that's the way many play?

Those are good questions. I am not sure how they master it. FPS are first person shooters such as call of duty, battlefield, can counter strike. For driving, flying or anything not a shooter, speakers are perfect. In that case I believe speakers will give you more enjoyment. In the FPS's that I mentioned sound is critical to competitive play which is why I brought up headphones.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Is this a particular type of game?

I don't know about console games, nowadays, but the directional cues present in the 2-channel soundfield of the first person shooters I used to play on the computer were very integral to the gameplay. And very well implemented. You couldn't just tell if someone was to the left or right of you. You could tell if they were above or below you and how near or how far away, too. You could tell where someone was without even seeing them; like in another room, around a corner, or behind a barrier . Headphones were the only way to go.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience with gaming with bipoles?
post #11 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Also, no one answered how directional the FXi A4s are.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

I would but the last post there was 9 day ago, I don‘t think I‘d get much help.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I believe some very interesting facts came up already. Bipoles should work pretty well for many genres like RPG, RTS, Racing/Driving Sims, etc. creating an enveloping sound field. Now, where positional audio is key as in FPS, DogFight Sims, etc. you could do better with monopoles or more directional speakers but that's not to say it will be unplayable.

In the end, you'll always have to compromise and decide where value is and what is acceptable. Some criteria may be:

Are you into competitive gaming or just for fun?
What genres do you play the most?
If you were to define percentages, what would they be? For example, Movies/Music/Games 60/10/30?

I don't think moving the speaker so the woofer points toward you and the tweeter away will work. It may be worth a try but they were not engineered that way.

Krakhen

post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 14
Just hazarding a guess here but I suspect that Dipole speakers would be a poor choice for FPS's. The reason is that with FPS games you are often listening to audio que's to where other players may be located who are could be attacking your character. With Dipole speakers the idea is to spread out the sound field of the surround speakers to make it harder to audibly isolate the location of the satelite speakers. This same affect would serve to make it more difficult to issolate the sound source of shots fired at the character. The result, theoretically, would be a reduction in directional imaging precision. I think for the purpose you are purchasing these for, that traditional front firing speakers would be better.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRenton View Post

Does anyone have any experience with gaming with bipoles?
Sure do....I game on my definitive 8060-st's all the time....I've always been able to tell where people and shots come from....smile.gif....I love it....smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #17 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenwh View Post

Just hazarding a guess here but I suspect that Dipole speakers would be a poor choice for FPS's. The reason is that with FPS games you are often listening to audio que's to where other players may be located who are could be attacking your character. With Dipole speakers the idea is to spread out the sound field of the surround speakers to make it harder to audibly isolate the location of the satelite speakers. This same affect would serve to make it more difficult to issolate the sound source of shots fired at the character. The result, theoretically, would be a reduction in directional imaging precision. I think for the purpose you are purchasing these for, that traditional front firing speakers would be better.

Dipole isn‘t the same as bipole though.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page