Got a reciever, now the important part... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking to replace HT setup after a house fire.

I just nabbed a YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A820 on sale, and am now looking to get speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115393). The receiver is more than I had planned on getting, but since it was on sale I decided to go ahead.

Here is what I am currently thinking about as far as speakers...

Center - Polk Audio CSI A6
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000V2UBUG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2PPJHGP27IVOA&coliid=I3RKXVGPWOT4JW

Front + Surrounds (x4) - Polk Audio RTI A3
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Cherry/dp/B000V2N310/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2PPJHGP27IVOA&coliid=I2UOT17256SBNS

Sub - Klipsch RW12D
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RW12D-12-inch-Reference-Subwoofer/dp/B000UVWIO0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2PPJHGP27IVOA&coliid=I42QV0EWQ9I1J

The receiver is already purchased, but the speakers are up for debate. It has been 10+ yrs since I bought any home theater equipment, so I am open to suggestion...I have been looking for just over a week. Any input would be appreciated. The price range is roughly what I have linked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, the budget is ~$1500 for speakers...willing to go over a bit if needed, but not by much.

*Edit*

I would also like to know if the speakers mentioned are "matched"...it seems they are based on the Polk site, but I am not certain. I am under the impression that the sub does not need to be of the same series.

It will be used primarily for movies/TV with some music (probably streaming via Pandora, AirPlay, etc).
post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Oh, you can do better than those Polk's... much better for the money. biggrin.gif

Newegg.com has the Klipsch RW-12d sub for $279 until 5/22. Save a few bucks and put it towards the speakers.

I'd go with the Ascend Acoustics (.com) CMT-340's for the front L/C/R and the HTM-200's for the 2 pairs of surrounds. TP-24 stands (sand fillable for extra support and inertness) for the CMT-340 L/R included. $1,408 + shipping.

They'd kick the snot out of the Polks for both build and sonic quality.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
What size is the room? Is is sealed or open to other rooms? How far do you sit from the speakers?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Oh, you can do better than those Polk's... much better for the money. biggrin.gif

Newegg.com has the Klipsch RW-12d sub for $279 until 5/22. Save a few bucks and put it towards the speakers.

I'd go with the Ascend Acoustics (.com) CMT-340's for the front L/C/R and the HTM-200's for the 2 pairs of surrounds. TP-24 stands (sand fillable for extra support and inertness) for the CMT-340 L/R included. $1,408 + shipping.

+1 (Also, check the B-Stock availability on the Ascend website - could save you money, or let you bump up to 170's for surrounds.)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

The room is approx 14' x 23' w/the couch partitioning the room @ 14'19'.

Crude drawing of approximation - http://imgur.com/W5ZQlV6

*Edit*

Not sure why I put the inner box...is doesn't represent anything...

And, by "Open to Kitchen" I mean we have a rectangular opening in the wall where you can see into the next room...kitchen.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

This is a great system for the money. You can always add a second Klipsch down the road to smooth out bass response.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dan (and all others). I actually just nabbed the RW-12d...suppose I can't be too disappointed for $283 from Newegg shipped...

So, it is down to main speakers...

I always figured getting a dedicated center speaker was superior...AcuDef suggested the same speakers for all 5? I was under the impression for a well balanced system the center should be the workhorse (likely more $/speaker) followed by the fronts, then the rear (for movies/tv).

Where are some resellers for Ascend speakers?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
1st choice: Same speakers all around is the ideal. Usually doesn't happen because of space or budget limitations, or, if someone is a big stereo music listener and wants full range (and/or larger) LR mains up front.

2nd choice: Identical speakers up front LCR, identical speakers for surround/back.

3rd choice: Identical LR mains, horizontal center, identical speakers for surround/back.

Ascend, like almost all the ID (Internet Direct) companies, does not have resellers. Most have generous return policies so customers can audition their speakers in home.

Congrats on the Klipsch sub deal!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipoly View Post

I always figured getting a dedicated center speaker was superior...AcuDef suggested the same speakers for all 5? I was under the impression for a well balanced system the center should be the workhorse (likely more $/speaker) followed by the fronts, then the rear (for movies/tv).

Total misconception. The horizontal center was designed to accommodate limited placements, not best possible sound quality. However, properly designed horizontal centers can still sound excellent. But identical speakers all around is the best possible quality.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Total misconception. The horizontal center was designed to accommodate limited placements, not best possible sound quality. However, properly designed horizontal centers can still sound excellent. But identical speakers all around is the best possible quality.

+1

If you can fit a matching vertical center speaker (the same as your Left/Right pair) in your theater configuration or if you plan on a more dedicated space that can accommodate an acoustically transparent screen and projector (not that much money nowadays).

As surround formats get more complex, like upcoming object-oriented audio, there will be more demand placed on the surround channels (wider frequency response, more volume output). That will really necessitate that they sonically match as close as possible to the front screen array. Dipoles will not be the best choice for surround speakers.

One reason I like the Ascend speakers: their fronts and surrounds (within each speaker line) sound very similar for a more seamless sonic experience.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page