Newbie here- Please help me assemble this.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I am totally new to setting up HT. I would appreciate if you can help. I also posted in AV receiver forum to see if I can get any idea but decided to post here as well to get any thoughts.

Basic Info:

Room Size: Living room- 15X24
Motive: Watching Movies and music.
Blue Rat player: PS3-- Not really a gamer.
Other Important Stuff: Airplay will be helpful but not required. I have Apple TV

Budget- Maximum $700-800

Options that I am looking at

Energy Take Classic 5.1 + Yamaha V 673 ( Looking to Upgrade to 7.2 in future)

Energy Take Classic 5.0 + Polk PSW 505 + Yamaha V 673 or Denon 1613

MLT -2 with above receivers?

Questions

1. I don't know if it makes sense for above config for my needs
2. Any other Speaker and AV combo that you all would suggest?
3. Any other AVR you would suggest?
4. What would be your pic suggest from above settings?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Big room to fill... small budget. Sure you couldn't squeeze a bit more out of your wallet? biggrin.gif You'll end up with a much better system.

While far better than Bose (that's not hard), the Energy Take's are puny mini cubes and will easily crap out trying to push sound into that room volume, especially on movie soundtracks.

Check out Ascend Acoustics' CMT line, Arx (via The Audio Insider.com), HSU Research HB-1 horn-loaded speakers (HSU also has good package deals with their quality subs), etc. for good bang vs. buck/better-than-starter models from well regarded Internet Direct companies.

The Klipsch RW-12d is considered a good beginners 12" sub and it's on promo code sale right now for two more days (til 5/22) via Newegg.com. Would best any one of the subs you listed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1 on all counts.

Even as a beginner system the Take 5 sets only (barely, IMO) works for HT, they are not good for music at all ...
post #4 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the tip

I looked at those mentioned. HSU 5.1 is about $1100. Adding the AVR Yamaha 673 would raise the cost to 1500$ which is little stretching it for me. If there is anything good around 1000-1100 that would be the best. Else I can go to what you are suggesting?

I have small kids who run in the same living room and hence would not ideally prefer to keep big speakers.

1.Any other suggestions?
2. If you were to choose between HSU 5.1 vs ARX.. which one would you pick?
3. How about Cambridge S30?

Thanks Again
post #5 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If budget is a problem why not just get the front soundstage now and the surrounds latter. I'd rather have a decent 2.1 or 3.1 system rather than an under performing 5.1 system. Depending on your seating arrangement you could even run a phantom center.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

If budget is a problem why not just get the front soundstage now and the surrounds latter. I'd rather have a decent 2.1 or 3.1 system rather than an under performing 5.1 system. Depending on your seating arrangement you could even run a phantom center.

+1 You can always complete your setup when finances allow. The HSU speakers are horn-loaded. Not everyone appreciates the horn-loaded sound. The only real way to know if you like them is to audition. The Cambridge S30, Arx 1b, and HSU HB-1 are all well reviewed and the budget speaker leaders. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

+1 You can always complete your setup when finances allow. The HSU speakers are horn-loaded. Not everyone appreciates the horn-loaded sound. The only real way to know if you like them is to audition. The Cambridge S30, Arx 1b, and HSU HB-1 are all well reviewed and the budget speaker leaders. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices.

Sure, I think its a great idea. Its best to start slow and build up the system which is a good one instead of crappy one. I thought about Energy 5.1 as it is touted as one of the best entry level speakers.. I would be up for 3.1 and later upgrading to 5.1 or 7.2/7.1

What would you suggest for 3.1 Settings so that it can be expanded to 7.1/7.2 later on?

1.Yamaha V673-- Does that sound like a good AVR which would evolve as I add more speakers in my needs?
2. What is "Horn Loaded" means? How is t different. I apologise for acting Naive, I am totally new to this.
3.What sub would you recommend? Klipsch RW-12d was first suggested and has a deal on it at this time. Do you guys think it would fit the overall config?

I truly appreciate you guys Input

Thanks Again
post #8 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
The Klipsch RW-12d is an excellent sub. Given the size of your room, that would be a good choice for you over the PSW505. It's a better quality sub with more output, and it will match up well with whatever speakers you get.

You can get a factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denon 1613 for $229 plus shipping. Then you could put the rest of your budget towards your speakers.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Gawd damn you guys, every time. Klipsch rw-12d, rw-12d rw-12d. It's like a broken record and me with my bic f12 on order feeling bad about it. Awww well.
post #10 of 43 Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Klipsch RW-12d is an excellent sub. Given the size of your room, that would be a good choice for you over the PSW505. It's a better quality sub with more output, and it will match up well with whatever speakers you get.

You can get a factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denon 1613 for $229 plus shipping. Then you could put the rest of your budget towards your speakers.

Actually its free shipping on the Denon!

Afro GT
post #11 of 43 Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

One word of caution. I had good luck from accessories4less in the past, but I purchased a refurbished Denon receiver that had issues the minute it arrived and it has been a nightmare dealing with accessories4less and Denon. Accessories4less refused to take it back or exchange it for another receiver (the receiver I bought goes into protect mode after 2 hours every-time I used the first week I bought it. Contacted Acccessories4less within one week of purchase and told me there was nothing they can do, I had to work with Denon). Denon customer service is also very frustrating. Purchased Feb 8th and the receiver is still being repaired by Denon. I have spent hours on the phone with technicians and managers trying to troubleshhoot and Denon refused to exchange for a different receiver that worked.

I honestly don't think I will buy another refurb from accessories4less. Their customer service was very disappointing. Too bad too, I recommended them all the time and bought several items from them myself (this was the first time I had an issue). I am at the point where I may challenge the purchase on my credit card. All I can say is that it better come back fixed from Denon.
post #12 of 43 Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

One word of caution. I had good look from accessories4less in the past, but I purchased a refurbished Denon receiver that had issues the minute it arrived and it has been a nightmare dealing with accessories4less and Denon. Accessories4less refused to take it back or exchange it for another receiver (the receiver I bought goes into protect mode after 2 hours every-time I used the first week I bought it. Contacted Acccessories4less within one week of purchase and told me there was nothing they can do, I had to work with Denon). Denon customer service is also very frustrating. Purchased Feb 8th and the receiver is still being repaired by Denon. I have spent hours on the phone with technicians and managers trying to troubleshhoot and Denon refused to exchange for a different receiver that worked.

I honestly don't think I will buy another refurb from accessories4less. Their customer service was very disappointing. Too bad too, I recommended them all the time and bought several items from them myself (this was the first time I had an issue). I am at the point where I may challenge the purchase on my credit card. All I can say is that it better come back fixed from Denon.

So they didn't honor their 30 day return policy? That's not good.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #13 of 43 Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they didn't honor their 30 day return policy? That's not good.

No. Their policy is a joke. It also seems like a one man operation for customer service issues as there was nobody else to escalate to (literally one guy). If you have issues with your purchase they will tell you there is nothing they can do and you need to work with the manufacturer. When I mentioned their 30 day policy, I got zero commitment. I should have sent the thing back and challenged my credit card purchase.

I finally got someone at Denon who knew what they were doing and he has been following up with me every week on the status. But it has been very painful...

Clearly, the refurb I bought never went through any quality control and they just shipped the same bad receiver to someone else. Oh well, next time I will just spend a little more...
post #14 of 43 Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netizen11 View Post

Sure, I think its a great idea. Its best to start slow and build up the system which is a good one instead of crappy one. I thought about Energy 5.1 as it is touted as one of the best entry level speakers.. I would be up for 3.1 and later upgrading to 5.1 or 7.2/7.1

What would you suggest for 3.1 Settings so that it can be expanded to 7.1/7.2 later on?

1.Yamaha V673-- Does that sound like a good AVR which would evolve as I add more speakers in my needs?
2. What is "Horn Loaded" means? How is t different. I apologise for acting Naive, I am totally new to this.
3.What sub would you recommend? Klipsch RW-12d was first suggested and has a deal on it at this time. Do you guys think it would fit the overall config?

Thanks Again

1. I think the Yamaha would be a fine choice. But, I like the Denon 1613 mentioned a bit better because I prefer Audyssey over YPAO (Yamaha's software equivalent).
2. Horn-loaded refers to the "horn" tweeter of the HB-1. They have a much different sound compared to the soft dome tweeter of the Cambridge or the planar magnetic tweeter of the Arx.
3. The Klipsch RW-12d is the best budget sub out there.

post #15 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. I think the Yamaha would be a fine choice. But, I like the Denon 1613 mentioned a bit better because I prefer Audyssey over YPAO (Yamaha's software equivalent).
2. Horn-loaded refers to the "horn" tweeter of the HB-1. They have a much different sound compared to the soft dome tweeter of the Cambridge or the planar magnetic tweeter of the Arx.
3. The Klipsch RW-12d is the best budget sub out there.

The Hsu horn is much less fatiguing than the budget Klipsch horns.
post #16 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're looking to upgrade to 7.1 (or 7.2) at some point in time, the Denon 1613, will not be the one to get as it's locked in at 5.1 (no pre-amp outs). Plus, it doesn't have much amp power per channel. You have a decent sized room. Not huge, but not a small apartment sized living space.

The Yamaha, while not having Audyssey auto calibration, does have pre-amp outs and 7.1 decoding. Full pre-amp outs are a godsend when you want to feed your speakers more power and cleaner power with dedicated amps.

If you want to keep the speakers up out of the way for now, these bookshelves can be side clamp mounted via VideoSecu or Pinpoint wall mounts. Not the best sound solution for the fronts, but if they're little pills that like to knock stuff over...

The HSU speakers are not compression drivers, so they don't sound harsh like Klipsch horns. They're wave guided dome tweeters. They will play loudly if you need them to. Many like the punchy sound of the Ascend CMT, CBM, and HTM speakers. Arx are a little different in their sound dispersal since they use ribbon tweeters. Again, all of these are great budget speakers.

post #17 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!! Guys thank you all for such valuable input for newbie like me. I have done a lot of reading and here it is what I am looking at

1. Klipsch Rw 12d sub
2. Will likely go for ascend cbm- 170se in 2.1 or 3.1 config.

3. I am torn between yamaha Rx- v 673 vs open box denon 1913.

Questions

1. Which AVR would you suggest between those two? I also looked at Sony str- 1030 but seems yamaha is most value and denon is crisp voice..

2. I realized I don't have space for center speaker if I buy cbm- 170 as center speaker. I barely have 12 inch space in console storage area right below the TV.
- can I keep it in front of TV though 7.5 inch height in front of TV may be annoying for me.
-- do you guys think instead I can buy ascend Htm-200 which would be 11 inch wide .. Would that make sense ?? Or would you rather say let go the central speaker for now ??

Quote:

Thanks Again
post #18 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Awesome!! Guys thank you all for such valuable input for newbie like me. I have done a lot of reading and here it is what I am looking at

1. Klipsch Rw 12d sub

Don't panic, but it's currently out of stock:

If you see it on sale again, buy it immediately - it's been discontinued for a long time and it's inevitable that they will, at some point, not be available any more.

BTW, I love mine.

Good luck with the rest of your system.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #19 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Klipsch Rw 12d sub
2. Will likely go for ascend cbm- 170se in 2.1 or 3.1 config.

3. I am torn between yamaha Rx- v 673 vs open box denon 1913.

Questions

1. Which AVR would you suggest between those two? I also looked at Sony str- 1030 but seems yamaha is most value and denon is crisp voice..

2. I realized I don't have space for center speaker if I buy cbm- 170 as center speaker. I barely have 12 inch space in console storage area right below the TV.
- can I keep it in front of TV though 7.5 inch height in front of TV may be annoying for me.
-- do you guys think instead I can buy ascend Htm-200 which would be 11 inch wide .. Would that make sense ?? Or would you rather say let go the central speaker for now ??

Nice choice on the Ascends. I have these in my living room HT and really like them. If you can swing the CBM-170SE for the center that would be a good choice. If you can find the Denon 2113 for a decent price I would recommend that over the 673 or 1913.

post #20 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice choice on the Ascends. I have these in my living room HT and really like them. If you can swing the CBM-170SE for the center that would be a good choice. If you can find the Denon 2113 for a decent price I would recommend that over the 673 or 1913

2113 Denon is closer to 650$, I dont want to spend more than 400 on AVR. Which one you think is better from Denon 1913 or Yamaha V673?

Also, what do you think about middle speaker? Does it have to be in right center? Do you think Ascend HTM -200 with other CBM-170 SE would work.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Don't panic, but it's currently out of stock:

If you see it on sale again, buy it immediately - it's been discontinued for a long time and it's inevitable that they will, at some point, not be available any more.
BTW, I love mine.
Good luck with the rest of your system.

Thanks, I already purchased it when it was on sale from newegg. wink.gif
post #21 of 43 Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2113 Denon is closer to 650$, I dont want to spend more than 400 on AVR. Which one you think is better from Denon 1913 or Yamaha V673?

Also, what do you think about middle speaker? Does it have to be in right center? Do you think Ascend HTM -200 with other CBM-170 SE would work.?
Thanks, I already purchased it when it was on sale from newegg. wink.gif

You can get a refurbished 2113 receiver directly from Denon for $400. Check out their website. I think the HTM-200 would match well. The CBM, CMT, and HTM are all well timbre-matched in fact. I still think you would be better served with the larger center. How off center would it be?

post #22 of 43 Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The 2113 would indeed be better than the 1913, and better than the Yamaha V673 you mentioned.

If going with the CBM-170's in the front, it would be best to get another CBM-170 for the center or even better, get a CMT-340 SEC. The LCR array MUST be timbre matched, though you really want that all around and the center speaker is VERY important. The larger, the better (but the CMT-340 SEC is only 7.5 inches tall).

Then get a pair of CMT-340 mains for the front L/R and move the CBM-170's to surround duties. When you're ready for 7.1, get another set of CBM-170's. Upgrade a little at a time and end up with a much better system.

post #23 of 43 Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 174
On a budget, I would get the cheapest AV reciever I could that had the features and power I need! Reciever technology is changing way more rapidly than speakers...so 5 yrs from now, good speakers will still sound great, but your reciever may be out dated!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #24 of 43 Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

On a budget, I would get the cheapest AV reciever I could that had the features and power I need! Reciever technology is changing way more rapidly than speakers...so 5 yrs from now, good speakers will still sound great, but your reciever may be out dated!

This is true, but as noted a refurbed 2113 directly from Denon is within the OP's budget. smile.gif

post #25 of 43 Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys for your help. I can't believe the wealth of knowledge I got by reading this forum.. All of you are great

I have settled for
Yamaha v673, didn't want to settle for refurb denons... Plus amazon reviews for denon 2113 were hit or miss ...

I have also settled for ascend cbm-170 se, LCR for now.. May buy cmt 340's later and move LR 170's to surround ones..

Thanks a ton again
post #26 of 43 Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome! Come back and let everyone know how it sounds smile.gif

post #27 of 43 Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You made some sound choices, pun intended. Have fun!

post #28 of 43 Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Happy listening and keep us apprised of the latest details!

post #29 of 43 Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Allright folks

I have got the ascend 170 se's in 3.1 config with Klipsch RW 12d, powered with Yamaha V673. I have been listening to it for last one week.,

I will have to say.. I am not impressed. It does not sound musical at all and rather flat and fatiguing. After listening for half hour or so it appears "noise". Watching Movies with that Center speakers appear too Monotonous. I dont if its just my ears or something wrong with the speakers...

I have been thinking about returning them and consider ARX instead?

What are your thoughts?
post #30 of 43 Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 278

I'm a Pioneer (MCACC) guy, but this may help from another V673 user:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469476/yamaha-rxv-673-ypao

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5 0 Home Theater Speaker Black , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Psw505 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page