Final Decision Time for L/C/R: 3 Pioneer AJ towers or 3 Infinity 163s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was about to order three Infinity Primus 163s to use for my front sound stage. I then came across the Best Buy sale on the Pioneer AJ towers for $100 each. Now I'm considering three of these to use for L/C/R.

This option (using towers) has opened up since I'm having no luck finding a media console to house all of my components. My plan was to mount the 61" TV to the wall with a large console under it housing my components. The three bookshelf speakers would be placed on top of the console. I'm not finding what I want in a console, so I might just go with an AV rack.

From a pure sound aspect, which would be better: three Primus 163's or three Pioneer AJ towers? A sub will be used with either choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'd think that 3 towers would make a nice wall of sound. My only concern would be that your tv would be mounted kind of high to clear the towers.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I would go with the Pioneer towers over the Infinity bookshelf speakers.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I was about to order three Infinity Primus 163s to use for my front sound stage. I then came across the Best Buy sale on the Pioneer AJ towers for $100 each. Now I'm considering three of these to use for L/C/R.

This option (using towers) has opened up since I'm having no luck finding a media console to house all of my components. My plan was to mount the 61" TV to the wall with a large console under it housing my components. The three bookshelf speakers would be placed on top of the console. I'm not finding what I want in a console, so I might just go with an AV rack.

From a pure sound aspect, which would be better: three Primus 163's or three Pioneer AJ towers? A sub will be used with either choice.

How big is your room?

Would towers be overkill?

Or would they just naturally be the best choice?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:

The only advantage of towers over bookshelves is that towers go lower, for better bass if you don't have subs. If you do have subs they offer no advantages, and for the same price you should be able to get higher quality bookshelves. And as for subs you should use at least two, you can't smooth room modes with a single sub.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

The only advantage of towers over bookshelves is that towers go lower, for better bass if you don't have subs. If you do have subs they offer no advantages, and for the same price you should be able to get higher quality bookshelves. And as for subs you should use at least two, you can't smooth room modes with a single sub.

Hi Bill. What about improved power handling (= lower distortion; compression) above the sub crossover when "pushed" and moderately higher sensitivity when multiple woofers are employed on towers, which is usually the case? Just curious... smile.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

How big is your room?

Would towers be overkill?

Or would they just naturally be the best choice?

Living room is 17' x 20', but it is completely open to the kitchen on one side. I'll probably be sitting about 12' from the front speakers.

I want to use three identical speakers for the front soundstage. Bookshelves were the plan, but 9 mid-bass drivers seems like it would be better than 3 biggrin.gif.

This is ridiculous! It only took me one day to buy a house, but I've been stressing over this speaker decision for 3 months. I went from the Pioneers to the Hsus to the Infinitys and now back to the Pioneers. I'm sure that I will be happy with any of the above. I just need to make a decision and move on... wink.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Hi Bill. What about improved power handling (= lower distortion; compression) above the sub crossover when "pushed" and moderately higher sensitivity when multiple woofers are employed on towers, which is usually the case? Just curious... smile.gif
The multiple woofers in towers are there to provide better capability below 80Hz. If you're not using the mains below 80Hz you want drivers designed to work best above 80Hz. Think pickup truck versus two seat sports coupe. If you're always hauling stuff the pickup is the better choice. If you never have more than one passenger and a couple of suitcases to carry the sports coupe is the better tool for the job.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^ Thanks Bill. ^ smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page