Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
All,
I am finishing construction on my dedicated theater.

I have come across a deal on some used Klipsch speakers.

A dealer is selling these for his customer:
Klipsch Ref IV RF52
Klipsch Ref IV RC52
Klipsch RW 10d
Klipsch Ref IV RS52

I am thinking about getting a pair of the RS52's for my side surrounds as I plan on doing a 7.2 setup initially and possibly a 9.2 one day.

I think I can get a pair of the RS52s for about $400. Is that a good deal? Can I get something better/as good in new condition for a similar price?

Thanks,

W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Best thing to do is to do an A/B test with the Rs and Rb line up as surrounds. Not everyone likes the way bi-poles sound. I personallt prefer direct speakers. Also that sub is seriously lacking for a dedicated theatre. For an area that size i would consider two high output sounds such as rythmik audio's lv 12r. The other option is to go with one higher ouput sub now and add a second one later check out the PSA XV 15.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15
Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I don't plan on buying the subs. I have an ED AV-300 that I will use until my budget allows me to add a second sub. I figure it's more important to get my LCR and surrounds straight before I need a second sub.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Good deal or not, I find most consumer grade Klipsch speakers to be obnoxious sounding after a full 2 hour movie. Their horn tweeters are fatiguing.

What kind of budget? How dedicated is the room? Completely walled and closed off? Screen and projector? Have you considered an acoustic screen? How tall are the ceilings? How many rows of seating?

Do you already have a receiver or pre-amp?

Many questions to be answered

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have an Onkyo Txsr 707 that I will use to get by until I decide what I want long term. I will eventually use the rack in the theater to source video to two other rooms and 5.1 in an additional room. This is a fully dedicated theater. It will have a 130" AT screen and a projector. 9' ceilings. First row of seats will be about 11' from the screen. As far as budget I don't really know but I'd like to keep it around $1-2K for speakers.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

I have an Onkyo Txsr 707 that I will use to get by until I decide what I want long term. I will eventually use the rack in the theater to source video to two other rooms and 5.1 in an additional room. This is a fully dedicated theater. It will have a 130" AT screen and a projector. 9' ceilings. First row of seats will be about 11' from the screen. As far as budget I don't really know but I'd like to keep it around $1-2K for speakers.

How many rows are you contemplating? The reason I ask is that you really should have one set of side surround speakers for each row for the best sound spread (just like in a commercial theater). This is also so you're wired and at least somewhat ready for the new object-oriented audio formats coming down the pike. Each speaker can be individually addressed unlike the fixed channel based formats of today. DTS and Dolby are squaring off again (with MDA or Atmos)... either way... things should sound awesome!

I would highly recommend at least two 15" ported subs for that size room. Check out the Rythmik FV15HP. You won't regret pushing your budget for these bad boys. Get one and then go for another (just make sure to wire for the future).

Ascend Acoustics is running a holiday sale right now on their site. You could go with a 7.1 setup of three identical, vertical CMT-340's SE monitors (make sure you don't go with a horizontal center when using an AT screen) and as many pairs of HTM-200's to cover however many rows you have planned and then another single pair for the back surround. Great bang for the buck. They also have a partnership with Rythmik where you get a small discount if you purchase a sub or subs with Ascend speakers.

If you're still in the construction phase, do Google the DTS Multi-Dimensional Audio (MDA) and Dolby Atmos white papers to get an idea of pre-wiring for mirrored overhead surrounds (they mirror the locations of the wall mounted surrounds on the ceiling) and front wide L/R screen speakers (as well as possible surround speaker subwoofers). Cheap insurance for the future. They'll also give you an idea of how to aim your direct radiating, wall mounted surround speakers for the best experience.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help Dan. I am still in the construction phase. I ask planning on two rows of three or four and a bar top rows of barstools. I currently only have one set of side surrounds wired but I could definitely wire another. I will always have access above the room so additional ceiling speakers won't be a problem. I need to go in ceiling for my rears though. I did go ahead and wire two stubs and the front high channels as well as back surrounds. So do you think the ascends will put out enough sound for a space this large?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I would absolutely check with Ascend when you're thinking of calling in an order just to be safe, but they supposedly have been designed for up to large rooms such as this. If your budget was higher still, I'd recommend Triad, JTR, or Seaton speakers as they would definitely be the absolute best option for your room type and even larger. Added amplifier power beyond the built in amps in the receiver would not hurt with whatever speaker you went with given the room dimensions.

Is there a particular structural reason why the rear surrounds have to be placed in the ceiling? That's normally a Voice of God speaker position, which is now coming with these object audio formats, but not right now (just on-wall information). You'll have side wall and height information coming soon, not one or the other. FYI

Can you post some pics?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you check my build thread I have a bunch of pics and layout drawings. The rear wall will have cabinets for my wet bar most likely so I won't really have a place for on wall rears. I think I'll try the Ascends first and see how it goes. So on the object formats do you think I need to wire for more locations on my front wall? I currently have the LCR, and two High channels wired. I then have a pair of side surround, a pair of rear surrounds and a pair of rear back surrounds. Also I wired RG6 to 2 sub locations.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

If you check my build thread I have a bunch of pics and layout drawings. The rear wall will have cabinets for my wet bar most likely so I won't really have a place for on wall rears. I think I'll try the Ascends first and see how it goes. So on the object formats do you think I need to wire for more locations on my front wall? I currently have the LCR, and two High channels wired. I then have a pair of side surround, a pair of rear surrounds and a pair of rear back surrounds. Also I wired RG6 to 2 sub locations.

There are two other possible locations besides the overhead speaker pairs (for true over-your-head sound objects): front screen center left and front screen center right (these 5 speakers sit behind and fire through the screen in a commercial Atmos venue and can be better suited for larger scope screens to help better localize dialog, music and front sound effects across the screen) and a pair of front side wall wide surrounds that sit somewhere between the standard front left and right screen speakers and the traditional side surround locations (which are normally about 90 degrees to the listener in each row of seating), and toed forward toward the main listening space. The side wall wides are similar in concept to the front wide outputs using DTS Neo:X post-processing decoding.

If you see Star Trek: Into Darkness in a theater equipped and fully outfitted with a Dolby Atmos decoder and large speaker array, they've created an object based mix that uses all these extra speakers. When the Enterprise is under attack, it sounds like effects are flying all over the room (around you, above you, and even below you with creative object panning and psycho-acoustic trickery).

I'll check out your construction page.
wraunch likes this.