I need some help with speaker layout(9.1) for my room. I'm building the whole room. Please help,thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building an entertainment room. I have attached a picture of the room.

I plan to have a 9.1 setup, and I am wondering if any audiophiles can help me with the best layout suggestion possible.

I plan to have center, front left, high left, front right, high right, left side, right side, rear right, and rear left with a subwoofer.

I was looking online at the speaker suggestions placement calculator and its really confusing. I know the general area i will place it but not the optimal best.

I've already purchased the speakers so now i just need help placing it for the best audio experience for theater setup

thanks in advance!

flyhigh123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

If you can't properly setup the rear and height speakers then I would skip them.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mrkazador is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,563
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 402
There are several decent options for in-ceiling speakers that I would consider for surrounds. Triad and Definitive Technology among others.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the speakers, The height fronts are Polk Audio OWM3. The rear surrounds are Polk audio OWM5. The fronts are Polk M70 and the center is the CS2. The sides will also be OWM3.

Any help on location is greatly appreciated and i also updated the chart to move the couch back a little more.
flyhigh123 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bump.....
flyhigh123 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Unfortunately, you already purchased your speakers before getting our sage advise. biggrin.gif That said, I would get some articulating Omni ceiling mount brackets for the OWM5 surround speakers and place them like this:



Sides at 90 degrees, rears at 150. They may be a little higher than recommended, but you can aim them down towards the listening areas (right side aimed towards the listener to the far left, left side aimed toward the listener on the far right). Since you have two rows of seating, I would wire for two pairs of side surrounds, both at 90 degrees to the listening position in each row.

Normally, the front height effects speakers would be high up on the wall directly above your left and right front speakers. You can also aim them towards the listening space with articulating wall mounts.

What receiver do you have right now?

Is your screen going to be be acoustically transparent? Are you temporarily blocking off your windows?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Unfortunately, you already purchased your speakers before getting our sage advise. biggrin.gif That said, I would get some articulating Omni ceiling mount brackets for the OWM5 surround speakers and place them like this:



Sides at 90 degrees, rears at 150. They may be a little higher than recommended, but you can aim them down towards the listening areas (right side aimed towards the listener to the far left, left side aimed toward the listener on the far right). Since you have two rows of seating, I would wire for two pairs of side surrounds, both at 90 degrees to the listening position in each row.

Normally, the front height effects speakers would be high up on the wall directly above your left and right front speakers. You can also aim them towards the listening space with articulating wall mounts.

What receiver do you have right now?

Is your screen going to be be acoustically transparent? Are you temporarily blocking off your windows?

i didn't have the option of floor mounted speakers other then the fronts, so i had to go with a ceiling mount. I also needed white in color.

I picked up the Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 receiver. I will look into the omni ceiling mounts as well since the stock angle may not be enough. When you say two pairs of side surrounds, are you saying get rid of the front highs? or daisy chain the side surrounds?

Thanks for the help and the image is really helpful. Even though its a semi dedicated theater room, i am putting some aesthetics over sound quality.

The screen is an Elite screen Aerie model. It is not acoustically transparent. The center speaker will be right under/in front of the screen and the side speakers will be on each side of the screen. The windows will all be blocked with automatic blockout window shades.

Thanks!
flyhigh123 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

i didn't have the option of floor mounted speakers other then the fronts, so i had to go with a ceiling mount. I also needed white in color.

I picked up the Pioneer SC-1522 9.2 receiver. I will look into the omni ceiling mounts as well since the stock angle may not be enough. When you say two pairs of side surrounds, are you saying get rid of the front highs? or daisy chain the side surrounds?

Thanks for the help and the image is really helpful. Even though its a semi dedicated theater room, i am putting some aesthetics over sound quality.

The screen is an Elite screen Aerie model. It is not acoustically transparent. The center speaker will be right under/in front of the screen and the side speakers will be on each side of the screen. The windows will all be blocked with automatic blockout window shades.

Thanks!

As for the dual pairs of side surrounds, you can do one of two things using your 1522k (this will give you optimal sound spread to each row of seats):

1) Use the internal receiver amps for the left side and right side on one pair of speakers and output the pre-amp analog side-surround signals to an outboard power amplifier or stereo receiver laying around to power the second set (it's a little harder to volume match using a separate receiver).

2) Use a multichannel power amp for all four side speakers and use RCA Y-splitters from the pre-amp outs to double up the stereo side surround signals. In fact, due to your large space I would highly recommend using power amps to drive all your speakers. Emotiva and Outlaw Audio, as far as internet direct companies go, make some good bang vs. buck power amps. You usually damage your speakers trying to drive lower power amps into distortion in order to output the theater volume you want.

Do not wire them in parallel or serial and run them off the same amps. This is a temporary setup until object-oriented audio is released to the home. Then you'll be able to address each of these side speakers separately as if you had four discrete side surround channels rather than the standard two. Wiring them together would defeat that and put unnecessary strain on your amplifier.

You can still have front wides or front height effects speakers. Now, if you decide to do front wide speakers, you want to use a matching set of speakers to the ones being utilized as the front left and front right speakers for complete, seamless timbre matching.

I take it that all speakers are currently Polks? Have you purchased the screen already, or is this model still on your radar?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the screen already, the Elite Screens Aerie Tension Series :http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1653&catid=1&Itemid=19&lang=en

For the speakers, all the speakers have been purchased. All the speakers on the ceiling are white to match the ceiling, and the floor speakers are black. I am debating about painting them white and redoing the grills to white, but i'm ok with the black. The floor speakers are just the 3 fronts.

Thanks for the input!
flyhigh123 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

I purchased the screen already, the Elite Screens Aerie Tension Series :http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1653&catid=1&Itemid=19&lang=en

For the speakers, all the speakers have been purchased. All the speakers on the ceiling are white to match the ceiling, and the floor speakers are black. I am debating about painting them white and redoing the grills to white, but i'm ok with the black. The floor speakers are just the 3 fronts.

Thanks for the input!

I would probably use the OWM5 as the front height effects and get another two sets of OWM3 for the sides and backs. That way the surround speakers all match. Or better yet, if they're newly purchased, return all the OWM3's and replace them with OWM5's for a bit wider frequency response in your surround array.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you say the front heights are utilized more than the rears? Which ones should be the better speaker regardless of timbre etc.
flyhigh123 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
DaveCarrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would not worry about dual surrounds based on two seating rows.. Set them up for YOUR normal seating place. Let your Yamaha YPAO setup adjust from there. My surrounds are slightly behind me and 18" above ear level, but pointed toward my seat. Your only problem may be the sub location, might not be ideal. You can search sub crawl, to get a YouTube video on the subject.

Why go out to a movie theater?
DaveCarrera4 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

I would not worry about dual surrounds based on two seating rows.. Set them up for YOUR normal seating place. Let your Yamaha YPAO setup adjust from there. My surrounds are slightly behind me and 18" above ear level, but pointed toward my seat. Your only problem may be the sub location, might not be ideal. You can search sub crawl, to get a YouTube video on the subject.

The reason I'm recommending this type of setup, since the OP has two rows, is that the system will be more ready than not for the newer surround formats coming our way. They'll definitely utilize the multiple surround arrays and the OP will still get some benefit now even if it complicates things a little bit. smile.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

Would you say the front heights are utilized more than the rears? Which ones should be the better speaker regardless of timbre etc.

Of the two, if you're running a Blu-ray movie with 7.1 discrete channels, you'll get more action out of the back surround speakers since they are not ambient extracted effects, but "hard" channels (this is considering using DTS Neo:X decoding). I was just thinking of trying to be as timbrally matched around the room as possible by suggesting that all the surround speakers should be the same, if possible.

The OWM5 can go a bit lower in the frequency range than the OWM3's due to the dual midrange drivers (80 Hz at -3 dB vs. 100 Hz at -3 dB) and can take a bit more amp power.

If you can snag some used Polk m70's, you could use those as the front wides... and currently those would be more prominent than the front height speakers (until newer object based audio decoding is here and all the speakers will get a work out). You could at least wire for the height speakers. The 1522k can only extract one or the other. You'd need an 11.1 receiver to output both wides and heights while simultaneously playing a 7.1 channel track.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, i currently have 2 Polk M70 and the CS2 for the center. I think i may go with just 1 set of sides. the front row is going to be rarely used.

Thanks for all the tips! i'll post pictures of the build. The OWM3 and 5 are giant speakers. I didn't realize how big until its in my hands. haha
flyhigh123 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off