Looking for Recommendations for Fronts in the $500 range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I looking for recommendations for speakers that are going to be used as fronts in my home theater. I am going to give some details of the layout and my limitations to help narrow down the selection.

The room is 12 feet by 14 feet. I have an Epson 8350 projector and a 110 inch projection screen on the wall that is 12 feet. I have 24 inch speaker stands with Cambridge Model Sixes. Because of the screen size, the speakers are spaced 10 feet apart and one foot from the wall. The only flexibility I have on repositioning the speakers is putting each speaker six inches further away from the screen. I am stuck with them being one foot away from the wall.

I live in an upstairs apartment so having a subwoofer or tower speakers are out of the question. Book shelf speakers with some good bottom end are what I'm in the market for.

I did some research and came across Focal Chorus 706V. These are front ported which I am assuming means they can be positioned closer to the wall.

The reviews on the Focal's are good but I'd like to get some feedback from people who own them and use them for watching movies.

Besides the Focal's, are there any other speakers you would recommend based on the details I have given?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry72 View Post

Hey Guys,

I looking for recommendations for speakers that are going to be used as fronts in my home theater. I am going to give some details of the layout and my limitations to help narrow down the selection.

The room is 12 feet by 14 feet. I have an Epson 8350 projector and a 110 inch projection screen on the wall that is 12 feet. I have 24 inch speaker stands with Cambridge Model Sixes. Because of the screen size, the speakers are spaced 10 feet apart and one foot from the wall. The only flexibility I have on repositioning the speakers is putting each speaker six inches further away from the screen. I am stuck with them being one foot away from the wall.

I live in an upstairs apartment so having a subwoofer or tower speakers are out of the question. Book shelf speakers with some good bottom end are what I'm in the market for.

I did some research and came across Focal Chorus 706V. These are front ported which I am assuming means they can be positioned closer to the wall.

The reviews on the Focal's are good but I'd like to get some feedback from people who own them and use them for watching movies.

Besides the Focal's, are there any other speakers you would recommend based on the details I have given?

Are you looking to spend $500 on a pair of bookshelf speakers or does this include the center?

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's and these sound great. Really good bottom end, not boomy at all. I have usuable output down to around 38Hz or so with them.

I was trying to decide between the Wharfedales and the Focals you mention, but ultimately went with the Wharfedales. Nothing against the Focals though, I just wasn't able to compare both speakers before my 30 day trial period came up on the Wharfedales.

You can look at Ascend CMT-340's. These would work great in that size space and should do really well for movies. A bit over your budget at $568, but I'm sure most would say they're worth it.

Any of these will provide great sound, but it's hard to know which one you would personally like the most.

post #3 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 869
fwiw, take a look at the kef q300's $499 accessories4less just another recommandation

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

You can look at Ascend CMT-340's. These would work great in that size space and should do really well for movies. A bit over your budget at $568, but I'm sure most would say they're worth it.
You can call Ascend and inquire about "B" stock...that should get you to your budget.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

It will only be a pair of fronts for now.

I was looking at the Diamond 10.2's as well but I believe those are rear ported. Again, I only have one foot of space away from the wall. On some of the reviews I read, they are testing them anywhere from 3-5 feet away from the wall. Just not possible with my setup.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, take a look at the kef q300's $499 accessories4less just another recommandation

Yup the Q300s are a great value (along with the Q100s if you need something smaller). Excellent imaging and can be placed on their side. I went with goldenear Aon 2s which will be a bit above your price range but would work very well close to a wall (due to passive radiators).

BUT with great (free or almost free) in home trials of a lot of Internet Direct (ID) brands, you may want to start there to see what works (and doesn't). Lots of high quality speakers from Aperion, Gallo, Ascend, etc....
post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I was looking at the Diamond 10.2's as well but I believe those are rear ported. Again, I only have one foot of space away from the wall. On some of the reviews I read, they are testing them anywhere from 3-5 feet away from the wall. Just not possible with my setup.

I have my Diamond 10.2's set at 7 inches away from the wall. The 10.2 specifications state it should be > 50mm away from the wall (which is >2inches).
post #8 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Yeah, 3-5 feet from a wall would be hard for most people to deal with. I have mine about 10 inches away, simply because it lines up with my TV better this way.

This is more than enough room for air flow and to prevent any unwanted "boom". The bass is clean and very tight, without overpowering or dragging the mids/highs down.

Any of the speakers mentioned here would serve you well. But it sounds like you should get a pair of them all and audition them. Ha. Or at least narrow the choices down a bit and audition your top picks.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Yeah, 3-5 feet from a wall would be hard for most people to deal with.
It also makes no sense. 3 to 5 feet from the wall places the Allison Effect response dip between 55 and 95Hz, not such a good idea with a speaker good to 38Hz. OP, there's no need for the rear of the speaker to be more than 6 inches from the wall.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

It also makes no sense. 3 to 5 feet from the wall places the Allison Effect response dip between 55 and 95Hz, not such a good idea with a speaker good to 38Hz. OP, there's no need for the rear of the speaker to be more than 6 inches from the wall.
I did not know that you only needed 6 inches of space. Interesting. I have my left tower about 1.5 feet from the back and side wall. Right tower is sort of blocked at 1.5 feet but mostly open towards my kitchen. Allison effect, man so complicated to set everything up optimally.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I was posting on another forum and someone mentioned studio monitors. I have an Onkyo TX-DS696 receiver that has inputs for powered amplifiers so I am assuming these inputs would work with powered studio monitors.

The Yamaha HS80M's have an excellent reputation, fit my budget ($250 each) and have a low end of 42 Hz.

What do you guys think? Reviews are always talking about a "neutral" speaker and studio monitors, at least the Yamaha's, are about as neutral as you can get.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You can call Ascend and inquire about "B" stock...that should get you to your budget.
on sale for 498 now.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page