Recommend me a 7.1 HT speaker set for a 18x12 room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm in the process of building out a new 7.1 home theater room and I'm budgeting $5k for the speakers (all seven plus the powered sub). This will be a smallish theater room at 12x18' in size.

This particular room is primarily intended for home theater (90%) and possibly games (10%). We're not expecting to be listening to music there.

Due to the small size, we will likely need to wall mount the surrounds above standing head level (so people don't run into them when entering or leaving the room.)

I'm definitely looking for big immersive sound in this small space. That said, I would like to avoid overspending by buying speakers that are total overkill for the room size.

Any recommendations on speakers I should look at? The $5k budget is a pretty hard limit for me, and I'd be happy to save money if I don't need to spend that much on speakers.

Thanks for your help!
-Frostpaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm working with a similar sized space for 90% HT also. ALthough my room opens up in an L shape.

I'm looking at Klipsh RB 81 for L/C/R although also considering the RF 82s (I have a space limitation behind my false wall that might limit me from the RFs)

For surrounds I'm looking at Klipsch RBs, size undetermined. Either 4 or 5 1/2". I too will have to ceiling mount vs. pole mount the surrounds, and I will be adding heights, not rear surrounds.

For subs I've been looking at dual SVS or Rythmik. Will most likely end up with SVS due to my space limitation and their cylindrical option.

I'm interested to see what others suggest. Have fun!!

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #3 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 446
If you can do some a bit of woodwork or know someone who can, the best bang for your buck would be something like this SEOS or Pi Four kit. That will get you some real THX Reference level sound. Klipsh RB-81s wouldn't be that bad either, but wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Those all would be great for a front stage but overkill for surrounds. For surrounds I would go for some of these JBL 8320 speakers. They are very powerful, THX certified, and easy to mount right up against your ceilings. If you wanted to save some money on surrounds, these Hsu HB-1s would be good and not as expensive, although they wouldn't be as powerful. They do have good bass extension for bookshelf speakers, and have enough dynamic range for surrounds in that room. The best bookshelf speaker mounts for those are the Videosecu side-clamping mounts, and they are very inexpensive mounts too.

For subs, I would get a pair of some 15"s at the very least. Two Rythmik FV15HPs would make a for a killer setup, extremely high bang for the buck on those. Two Hsu VTF15h subs would be great too, not quite as powerful as the FV15HPs but still will give you a lot of punch, and it will save you some money. Two PSA XS30s would be great too, and cost somewhere in the middle of VTF15hs and Rythmik FV15HPs.
post #4 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Oooooo.... those JBL surrounds have my attention for the mounting angle. But how are those any less powerful than the Klipsch RB 81 book shelf? They're both 8" drivers and 150 w power handling.

Man I wish I had room for 15" ported subs

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #5 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

PDX, they are probably on the same level as the Klipsch RB-81s. Klipsch do overstate their sensitivity specs for their Reference line. The Klipsch might be somewhat more powerful because it is using a compression driver in its tweeter whereas the JBL is using a horn-loaded soft dome driver. If you are looking for height speakers, I think these will work fine for that.
post #6 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Some really great ideas here!

I like the looks of the JBL 8320s for surrounds. (not that I like plastic, but I like that they can be mounted high on the ceiling and will fit in my space.) I'm also definitely thinking about getting at least one Rhythmic FV15HP, but two will probably put me over budget.

I'm still a bit at a loss for the front soundstage. Building them from a kit doesn't seem like a great option. I suck at woodworking and don't have a table saw. (on the plus side, I'm good at wiring and can solder components). Are there any commercial options I should consider?

Thanks again for all your help here. This has really been informative.

Best Regards,
Frostpaw
post #7 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha.. I'm now at a loss too for the front. If the JBLs are similar to the Klipsch why spend the extra on the JBLs when they'll be toned down?

post #8 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

If you are comparing the JBL 8320's to the Klipsch RB-81 II's then my concern is that the Klipsch require bookshelf stands ($35 each) and stick out much farther from the wall.

From the look of the JBLs, it seems you can hang them on the wall from a hook - something like a picture frame? Anyhow, it seems they don't need much additional mounting hardware.

Unless the Klipsch sound much better than the JBLs, the additional cost of the mounts plus the larger size makes them not quite as good an option for my space.

Now all that said, I've also had someone mention the Klipsch RS-62's for surrounds. Would these be a good fit for my space?

Best Regards,
Frostpaw
post #9 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostpaw View Post

Some really great ideas here!

I like the looks of the JBL 8320s for surrounds. (not that I like plastic, but I like that they can be mounted high on the ceiling and will fit in my space.) I'm also definitely thinking about getting at least one Rhythmic FV15HP, but two will probably put me over budget.

I'm still a bit at a loss for the front soundstage. Building them from a kit doesn't seem like a great option. I suck at woodworking and don't have a table saw. (on the plus side, I'm good at wiring and can solder components). Are there any commercial options I should consider?

Thanks again for all your help here. This has really been informative.

Best Regards,
Frostpaw

What about these:
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/single-8-pro/

And also these:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/jbl-ls40-speaker-system

Are you talking projector and screen or HDTV?
post #10 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Frostpaw, I would encourage you to get dual subs for the best results, and also experiment with subwoofer placement. Multiple subs systems have some very serious advantages over single sub systems, even if the multiple subs aren't quite as good as the single sub. If you ask about it in the subwoofer forum, you will fine a lot of agreement on that point.

As for the kits, you might not be great at woodworking, but there may be cabinet makers around you who can put the cabinets together for not too much money. It's worth making a couple phone calls and asking about anyway, considering the massive bang for the buck you can get with those kits.

Anyway, if that is a no-go, some other options I would consider in your budget are the QSC K10s. These are very highly regarded PA speakers that some have used in their home theaters with great success. That will get you some real THX Reference levels as well. Pdxrealtor, you might consider those over the Klipsch as well, since you are using an AT screen, they will be a lot more powerful than the Klipsch, and are purported to have very good sound quality. If you guys have a Guitar Center or some other pro-audio store around you, I would call them up and ask for a demo at the very least.

While you are at the pro-audio store, you might check out the Rokit 10-3 monitors. I think they would work well in a home theater application as well. They won't be as powerful as the K10s, but they are some relatively powerful monitors that will give you a very neutral, linear sound.

What's great about the K10s and Rokits is they are self-powered and so won't put any strain on your amplifier, which helps it last a lot longer. Active speakers are usually a lot more efficient with their power as well. Of course, you will want a receiver with some good pre-outs for these.
post #11 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Frostpaw, I would encourage you to get dual subs for the best results, and also experiment with subwoofer placement. Multiple subs systems have some very serious advantages over single sub systems, even if the multiple subs aren't quite as good as the single sub. If you ask about it in the subwoofer forum, you will fine a lot of agreement on that point.

As for the kits, you might not be great at woodworking, but there may be cabinet makers around you who can put the cabinets together for not too much money. It's worth making a couple phone calls and asking about anyway, considering the massive bang for the buck you can get with those kits.

Anyway, if that is a no-go, some other options I would consider in your budget are the QSC K10s. These are very highly regarded PA speakers that some have used in their home theaters with great success. That will get you some real THX Reference levels as well. Pdxrealtor, you might consider those over the Klipsch as well, since you are using an AT screen, they will be a lot more powerful than the Klipsch, and are purported to have very good sound quality. If you guys have a Guitar Center or some other pro-audio store around you, I would call them up and ask for a demo at the very least.

While you are at the pro-audio store, you might check out the Rokit 10-3 monitors. I think they would work well in a home theater application as well. They won't be as powerful as the K10s, but they are some relatively powerful monitors that will give you a very neutral, linear sound.

What's great about the K10s and Rokits is they are self-powered and so won't put any strain on your amplifier, which helps it last a lot longer. Active speakers are usually a lot more efficient with their power as well. Of course, you will want a receiver with some good pre-outs for these.

Yeah if the room is sealed, a pair of PSA XS30's would sound really good...
post #12 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now all that said, I've also had someone mention the Klipsch RS-62's for surrounds. Would these be a good fit for my space?

I think dipole and bipole designs are a bad idea for 7.1. 7.1 wants a sound stage with more discrete points of sound location, but you just can't get that with bipole/dipoles, they deliberately smear the sound into an ambiguous mess. The JBLs would be far superior in my opinion. They have the advantage of being THX certified as well. They will also be a lot more powerful thanks to the large woofer.
post #13 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What about these:
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/single-8-pro/

And also these:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/jbl-ls40-speaker-system

Are you talking projector and screen or HDTV?

Those JTRs bite pretty hard into his budget, otherwise I would have recommended those. Likewise the JBL LS speakers. I have to wonder how they would fare against the QSC speakers as well, although there are certainly advantages to coaxial speakers.
post #14 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are comparing the JBL 8320's to the Klipsch RB-81 II's then my concern is that the Klipsch require bookshelf stands ($35 each) and stick out much farther from the wall.

From the look of the JBLs, it seems you can hang them on the wall from a hook - something like a picture frame? Anyhow, it seems they don't need much additional mounting hardware.

Unless the Klipsch sound much better than the JBLs, the additional cost of the mounts plus the larger size makes them not quite as good an option for my space.

Best Regards,
Frostpaw

I don't think you'd want to use the JBL surrounds as your left/center/right. I think you'd only want to use them as surrounds. Correct me if I'm wrong....

post #15 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I don't think you'd want to use the JBL surrounds as your left/center/right. I think you'd only want to use them as surrounds. Correct me if I'm wrong....

You are correct.
post #16 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Those JTRs bite pretty hard into his budget, otherwise I would have recommended those. Likewise the JBL LS speakers. I have to wonder how they would fare against the QSC speakers as well, although there are certainly advantages to coaxial speakers.

I have never seen those QSC speakers before.. Interesting..

The JTR speakers would be a stretch for sure and would defintiely eliminate 2 subs from the budge. But doable with one sub and 5.1 surround for now and then add more later.
post #17 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion, I was just asking if the Klipsch RS-62's would be a good fit for surrounds in my space.

Regarding the sub, if I were to try to get two within my budget then I can't really be looking at subs which cost $1300 each. Any lower cost options here?

For L/C/R the JTR's and LS40's look pretty great but do push the budget pretty far out of line.

So far the budget looks like this:

Surrounds $450 x4 = $1800
Subs $1300 x2 = $2600
L/C/R $900 x3 = $2700

So you can see we are a bit over budget. Any suggestions for where to cut to make things fit? Any other speaker options?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
Frostpaw
post #18 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit - i see now

post #19 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

For the above budgetary estimate I was thinking about the JTR's for L/C/R and Rythmic subs.

That was intended just as an example. I'm trying to figure out if I should go with cheaper subs and cheaper surrounds, or should I go with cheaper L/C/R speakers?

Where should I put the money and what products fit in the budget?

Best Regards,
Frostpaw
post #20 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The Hsu VTF15h is a good sub and a pair can be had for less than $2k shipped. A pair of VTF15h's is about as low as I would go for a $5k system. I would cut the front stage, $2700 is too much for the front stage in a $5k budget. Also, your pricing for the JBL surrounds isn't quite right, they are about $500 a pair, so four only sets you back about $1k.

An affordable setup:
3 x QSC K10 = $2250
4 x JBL 8320 = $1000
2 x Hsu VTF15h = $2000

It's still a bit over budget, but not nearly as much. And those prices are all after shipping.
You can also use some Hsu HB-1 mk2 speakers as surrounds, and if you buy them with Hsu subs, they may be able to give you a further discount. That is one way to go under budget.
Using the Rokit 10-3s as a front stage will put you under budget too, and the Rokit's tweeter and mid can be rotated to be used as a horizontal center like so:
post #21 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, I was just asking if the Klipsch RS-62's would be a good fit for surrounds in my space.

Regarding the sub, if I were to try to get two within my budget then I can't really be looking at subs which cost $1300 each. Any lower cost options here?

For L/C/R the JTR's and LS40's look pretty great but do push the budget pretty far out of line.

So far the budget looks like this:

Surrounds $450 x4 = $1800
Subs $1300 x2 = $2600
L/C/R $900 x3 = $2700

So you can see we are a bit over budget. Any suggestions for where to cut to make things fit? Any other speaker options?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
Frostpaw

Well your room is not that large. A single Rythmik FV-15HP would be just fine. Or an Hsu VTF-15H or a PSA XS30. You can always add a second sub down the road when you have the budget. could also go with dual PSA XS15's ($1500 for the pair) or dual PSA XV-15's ($1600 for the pair). For surrounds, if you went with two pairs of JBL 8320's that puts you at $1000 for all four. That leaves you with about $2500 for your front three speakers which is super close to the JTR's. I think the JTR and JBL's would pair just fine together.
post #22 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the clarifying point that the JBL 8320's are sold by the pair - that makes quite a difference on the overall cost!

I had three additional questions:

1) Do you think it would be better to plan on getting one Rythmik Audio FV15HP or try to budget in two PSA XS15's instead?

2) I have some concerns about using powered speakers like the QSC K10's. I've already got the room wired up, and I didn't run shielded cable to the front soundstage nor did I run power.

3) Assuming I can find a deal on a front soundstage (QSC K10's, JTR, JBL) what is a good option for wall mounting them? Is there general purpose hardware for doing this?

Thanks very much for your help.

Best Regards,
Geoffrey
post #23 of 60 Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I would probably go for the XS15s, but very narrowly so. The problem is XS15's probably aren't enough to match the dynamics of some serious speakers like K10s or JTRs. A dual FV15HP setup would be more appropriate. As for mounting the speakers, I think all these speakers are too large and heavy for conventional mounts. The QSC's have a yoke mount, but it is a little pricey. I would just use shelving or some kind of stand, that will be easier to deal with if you want to shift the speakers around and have access to the rear panel.
post #24 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Frost Paw- I've been reading non stop and with your budget you could get a banging system using the following

3 JBL 3677
4 JBL 8320
Total (must call in for this price- 2550 shipped)

That would leave enough for 2 Rythmik FV15HP ported subs - 2548

You'd be 98.00 over budget, plus any shipping Rythmik charged you. You could always go with SVS dual 12 plus in cylindrical and save a bit plus they're free shipping. 2279.00 Also, this forum sells SVS and can save you some cash over the SVS listed price.

This is likely the setup I'm going with. Undecided on subs but will Rythmik or SVS

post #25 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Go for the Rythmik, it outperforms the SVS PB13 Ultra but costs as much as the PB12 Plus.
post #26 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You sure are a Rythmik fan, aren't you?

How's there CS and return policy? Warranty period is less than SVS, and I don't think shipping is included with Rythmik's subs.

Also, the FV15 is being phased out and a smaller 12" ported sub will replace it per Rythmik's site. That has me wondering.......

post #27 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

(corrected) Those JBL 3677's 8320's look very interesting.

That said, I've been reading up on the QSC K10's. They seem to have the advantage in that they have amplification built in.

I'm considering powering the system with an Onkyo TX-NR818. If I go with 3x QSC K10's then I don't have to worry that my front L/C/R soundstage are potentially underpowered. If I go with the JBL 3677's 8320's it seems I will want to purchase an dedicated 3 channel amplifier in addition to the 818. Thoughts?

I'm still at a loss for what to do with the subs. Getting two subs for $2800 seems like a lot of money considering the front soundstage would cost less than that. Is it a a common situation for HT builds that the subs cost more than the front soundstage?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
Frostpaw
post #28 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to know thoughts on your front channel amp question as well.

Those speakers are rated for stadiums of 200 people. My receiver has 130 watts per channel @ 8ohms. I'm not sure if those JBLs are bi-amp capable or not, but my receiver is. From the reading I've done I get the impression that even at a good clean 130 watts, in a 16x12' room, those speakers are gonna play at reference level without issue.

post #29 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

You sure are a Rythmik fan, aren't you?

How's there CS and return policy? Warranty period is less than SVS, and I don't think shipping is included with Rythmik's subs.

Also, the FV15 is being phased out and a smaller 12" ported sub will replace it per Rythmik's site. That has me wondering.......

I am a fan of Rythmik's excellent measured performance:

Rythmik FV-15HP CEA Test Performance
RMS SPL @ 2 Meters
20 Hz 107.5 dB
25 Hz 113 dB
32 Hz 117.8 dB
40 Hz 120 dB
50 Hz 119.9 dB
63 Hz 119.7 dB

That is some of the best measurements you can get at anywhere near that price. It beats the PB13 Ultra's measurements. The FV15HP is one hell of a sub.
post #30 of 60 Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(corrected) Those JBL 3677's 8320's look very interesting.

That said, I've been reading up on the QSC K10's. They seem to have the advantage in that they have amplification built in.

I'm considering powering the system with an Onkyo TX-NR818. If I go with 3x QSC K10's then I don't have to worry that my front L/C/R soundstage are potentially underpowered. If I go with the JBL 3677's 8320's it seems I will want to purchase an dedicated 3 channel amplifier in addition to the 818. Thoughts?

I'm still at a loss for what to do with the subs. Getting two subs for $2800 seems like a lot of money considering the front soundstage would cost less than that. Is it a a common situation for HT builds that the subs cost more than the front soundstage?

It is very common for the subs to cost more than the front stage. On both of my main system, the subs cost a lot more than the other speakers. The subs have to displace a lot more air than tweeters and mids, so they have much larger motors with their own amps. They are doing the the heavy lifting. Like I said before, I think you can get away with dual PSA XS30s or Hsu VTF15h subs if the cost of dual FV15HPs is a bit much for you. Those are also very powerful subs and less expensive.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rb 81 Bookshelf Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Jbl 8320 Compact Cinema Surround Speaker For Digital Applications , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Klipsch Surround Speaker Rs 62

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page