$7-$8K Budget for LCR Upgrade...Need Help Narrowing Down Options - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
That is just it Martycool007, we have to define our goals and use the tool that works for us. If Maggies could play loud enough for me in my room I would still own them, I loved those things. Now build me a higher spl Maggie and done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I know someone who prefers the the JBL Synthesis Array 1400 with dual subs (JL212) to Salon2s for combined duties, HT and music. The JBLs are higher efficiency than the Revels but still medium efficiency compared to say JTR. However, for serious music listening, the Salon2s are still the choice (better tweeter for one).

I agree to a degree ... smile.gif

My issue with the Revel's (original Studio's then the Ultima Studio II's) was that they were great for controlled volume listening in a small sweet spot (one seat). But if I wanted to play concert level R&R they were woefully inadequate, even when given all the power they could handle.

After paying that much for a loudspeaker, I found that limitation very annoying. I don't listen @ concert level very often but when I am in the mood, I expect my speakers to produce. I found any "slight" trade-off in detail and resolution more than off-set by better dynamics (for movies) and clarity at higher SPL.

Anyone commenting without actually hearing both options (and old model Triple 8's don't really qualify rolleyes.gif) are simply talking out of their arse but that is SOP around here.
post #93 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

The problem some people have is that the hype was just as big for the T8's and the T12's and they let some people down.
Have you heard them yet?

Well I do own some tongue.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #94 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Is that a clever way of saying that while you technically own them, they hadn't been hooked up and you hadn't actually heard them at the time of writing your posts?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #95 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

For the record, I recently heard some JTR Tripple12's and did not like them at all. Sure they would play cleanly at higher output levels, plus they were extremely dynamic, (they were powered by a 300 watt per channel Outlaw amp) but they just did not move me at all. Plus they were in a really nice room with a very high end Denon preamp and were professionally calibrated. I found them to sound dull. No way I would ever go with these over something from Salk or Ascend. Then again, I value clarity, detail, and high end crispness over SPL.

Contrary to a few fan beliefs, HE speakers don't do EVERYTHING as well as the fans say. biggrin.gif

There is a "best" speaker type for everyone, and never just ONE type of "best" speaker for EVERYONE.

It is NOT one-size-fit-all.
post #96 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that a clever way of saying that while you technically own them, they hadn't been hooked up and you hadn't actually heard them at the time of writing your posts?

They sound just like all the other JTR speakers. You've heard them once, you've heard them all. wink.gif
post #97 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

They sound just like all the other JTR speakers. You've heard them once, you've heard them all. wink.gif
Ignorant statement. rolleyes.gif
Chris W
post #98 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I agree to a degree ... smile.gif

My issue with the Revel's (original Studio's then the Ultima Studio II's) was that they were great for controlled volume listening in a small sweet spot (one seat). But if I wanted to play concert level R&R they were woefully inadequate, even when given all the power they could handle.

After paying that much for a loudspeaker, I found that limitation very annoying. I don't listen @ concert level very often but when I am in the mood, I expect my speakers to produce. I found any "slight" trade-off in detail and resolution more than off-set by better dynamics (for movies) and clarity at higher SPL.

Anyone commenting without actually hearing both options (and old model Triple 8's don't really qualify rolleyes.gif) are simply talking out of their arse but that is SOP around here.

All speakers have limitations to some people. Some people see these limitations as significant, some people see these limitations as insignificant.

Some people have heard T8 & T12 and hated them, complaining these speakers (and their peers) just lack detail, accuracy, smoothness, or whatever.

Some people think these HE speakers have all the accuracy, detail, and smoothness they need. But everyone is different.

I mean these HE speakers may be +6dB from 5kHz-15kHz on FR. That may be great and perfect for some people, while it may be harsh and uncomfortable to some people.

It's a matter of preference.

So my brother uses his JTR for karaoke where they shine for volume output, but he listens to his NHT speakers for music.

If JTR and HE fans believe that these speakers do great for everything and every occasion, we're happy for them. But just don't expect everyone to agree after they listen to these speakers, like I have and others have. These HE speakers are NOT for everyone and every occasion.
post #99 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I will admit that I am highly curious about the Noesis line. With that being said, I am also in the process of building a trio of high effeciency speakers that should do as good or better than the T12's and/or T8's.
I am doing this just for fun, though. I would love to have a trio of HE speakers that could reproduce the mid and high range frequencys as well as my Sierra-1's, but in order to get that, I would likely have to shell
out big bucks. I love my Sierra-1's and they also in the process of being upgraded to using the RAAL tweeter as we speak. I like to listen to my Sierra-1's for movies and in my small room at a medium to highish
volume level, and with the amp that I am using combined with the fact that my room is small, I never have any problems with reaching a decent spl. Why sacrifice the top end and mid-range with a HE design if you
have no problems with reaching your desired spl in your theater room? I understand that the JTR's and Klipschs' all have their place with some setups.

I can't remember which ones you are building? I like my SEOS-12, DNA-360 with TD12M drivers, very much. Smoother than the JTR's (T8's) that I owned. I have been using them with the passive crossover designed by Bill, but am going to try them active, using my MiniDSP 10x10HD. Need to get my brother over to listen to these on some music. He has Meridian DSP6000's in his room. Before he preferred his speakers for music and my JTR's for HT. I think I have closed the gap on music and did not give anything up on HT. Looking forward to seeing if active makes even more of an improvement.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #100 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Ignorant statement. rolleyes.gif
Chris W

Oh, getting personal now?

You're calling me ignorant for not believing what you believe?

I think you are ignorant for not believing what I believe.
post #101 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Quote:

No he was talking about saying heard one heard them all. I assume you would admit that in no brand every speaker sounds exactly the same.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #102 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I think I have closed the gap on music and did not give anything up on HT.

That seems to be what everyone believes about his system.

There seems to be is a perfect speaker for everyone.
post #103 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only the statement Never personal.smile.gif Only someone who has heard them all can make a statement like that. wink.gif
Chris W
post #104 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only the statement Never personal.smile.gif Only someone who has heard them all can make a statement like that. wink.gif
Chris W

Someone who has heard them all can still make a 100% biased opinion.

Here's the deal.

People need to trust their ears. They should audition speakers and buy what works best for them.

The OP has auditioned the speakers and already bought the speakers he feels works best for him.

Why are you JTR people still arguing? eek.gif

It's over. The OP has bought his new speakers. Time to move on.
post #105 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

No he was talking about saying heard one heard them all. I assume you would admit that in no brand every speaker sounds exactly the same.

Not EXACTLY the same, but the same type of "signature" or "voicing".
post #106 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am only referring to this statement. Anything other than that is on you.
With all the great high end speakers you own you should be completely content.
Don't let you JTR hatred of Fanboys like myself make you bitter.
I really like your speaker collection.smile.gif I can also appreciate a speaker (any brand) for what it is.
All great speakers are great speakers.
Chris W
post #107 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What did he buy, Kef's?

BTW, throwing speakers in a room without any consideration for response is just hearing room effects on speakers and not really comparing the true speaker sound. If that is what you want then fine but saying a speaker is better than another is just which one sounds best in your room to your ears. Don't any of you guys who spend a ton on speakers want to know why each speaker sounds different or if you can make some speakers sound the same? Ignorance is bliss. I mean if someone says they think a JTR sounds better than a salon 2 because it has more whatever then that is how he feels, no? It goes both ways. I have thrown speakers in a dead room and measured the responses after hearing each set. I picked which sounds best to me at that time. After looking at the responses I noticed that the best speaker I picked was the speaker that was the flattest from the 500hz to 10khz range. So I changed the response so every speaker matched that one and low and behold I changed my mind on which was best. Now if I just threw them in there I would always say this speaker is better than that but only how it reacted to my room without any EQ. I know you guys believe EQ is taboo because it adds color or distortion or some BS like that because speakers have more distortion than any properly working electronics. I still love the this amp sounds better because it has lower distortion statements when their speakers are putting out 3% distortion and their amps differences are less than 1/10 of a percent.
post #108 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am only referring to this statement. Anything other than that is on you.
With all the great high end speakers you own should be a completely content.
Don't let you JTR hatred of Fanboys like myself make you bitter.
I really like your speaker collection.smile.gif I can also appreciate a speaker (any brand) for what it is.
All great speakers are great speakers.
Chris W
If you disagree, then disagree. Nobody minds friendly disagreements. You don't have to use derogative words.
post #109 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you disagree, then disagree. Nobody minds friendly disagreements. You don't have to use derogative words.
I am sorry you feel like the word ignorant was used in a derogatory way. That was not my intent. Please reread your statement then mine.
If you feel like it was derogative then please accept my apologies.smile.gif
Chris W
post #110 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Something that seems to have been forgotten in this debate, the suggestions for speakers with higher sensitivity were originally suggested to the OP'er because he listed his listening preference as 90% movies, 10% music. A good speaker is a good speaker as long as you stay well within the limits of the speaker's ability. In other words, do not try to play it louder than it is capable of playing cleanly. Most, but not all of the really good HT systems that I have heard used higher sensitivity speakers. The best system that I have heard used High sensitivity speakers. That system used the JBL Everests.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #111 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You sure about that? I'm guessing you're about to start comparing them to KL-650-THX both of which you've never heard.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #112 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No its my clever way of saying that at least I've heard them.

I am by no means saying that JTR speakers are for everyone, but so far I have to say they sound pretty amazing too me. I'm also well aware that there's always a "honeymoon" stage with most new purchases but so far they sound great.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #113 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
One thing that gets lost in all this....

When the listening volume/levels go up, the ear/brain begins to lose the ability to discern/evaluate quality.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #114 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

No its my clever way of saying that at least I've heard them.

I am by no means saying that JTR speakers are for everyone, but so far I have to say they sound pretty amazing too me. I'm also well aware that there's always a "honeymoon" stage with most new purchases but so far they sound great.

Fair enough. In reading the JTR thread, it looked like you still hadn't picked them up as of the time you were posting yesterday so I was under the impression you hadn't heard them yet.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #115 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Don't get personal guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #116 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

One thing that gets lost in all this....

When the listening volume/levels go up, the ear/brain begins to lose the ability to discern/evaluate quality.

Utterly agree.

I think most speaker designers (Revel, KEF, TAD, Salk, Ascend, etc) would agree.

The Phil3 is 85dB/2.83v/m. Yet I've cranked the volume up very loud (from 30ft distance) for house parties without actually hearing any sort of distortion or compression.

Maybe if my listening distance were 60ft-100ft away, I might use 100dB/2.83v/m speakers. But not for home use where the biggest room is probably 20-30ft wide/long.
post #117 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Again when you say cranking volumes they are not as loud as others would use for movies. I bet many of the speakers you own would not pass my goals for my dedicated theater but I would not say they are bad speakers, just not right for my situation. One man's crank is another's low listening. Also speakers that can't play loud will lose their quality not speakers designed to play loud. It all depends on the persons loud. When you say your speakers are good from 30 feet away you also need to say that the level at 30 feet are what spl? It matters for people. I always recommend other speakers that I own for low listening levels or lower listening levels.
post #118 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fair enough. In reading the JTR thread, it looked like you still hadn't picked them up as of the time you were posting yesterday so I was under the impression you hadn't heard them yet.

Yeah no, yesterday I basically said ah screw it and went and got them. And then proceeded to spend the next 8hrs watching some movies and listen to music. I'm really still just evaluating them but so far I'm really happy with them.

I will say that if I didn't have them in a dedicated theater room I most likely would have gotten something else. I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on some Ascend Acoustic Sierra Towers and matching center channel. I think the bamboo finish on them is beautiful and from everything I read during my research they sound pretty amazing too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #119 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Something that seems to have been forgotten in this debate, the suggestions for speakers with higher sensitivity were originally suggested to the OP'er because he listed his listening preference as 90% movies, 10% music. A good speaker is a good speaker as long as you stay well within the limits of the speaker's ability. In other words, do not try to play it louder than it is capable of playing cleanly. Most, but not all of the really good HT systems that I have heard used higher sensitivity speakers. The best system that I have heard used High sensitivity speakers. That system used the JBL Everests.

My listening habit is also 90% movies/ 10% music.

Everything has limitation, subjected to people's opinions of what is more or less significant. Some people think a speaker lacks details, accuracy, and smoothness, some think it has all the details. Some people think a speaker lacks dynamics, some think it has all the dynamics.

It's really, really simple. It doesn't even require calculation or discussion. People just need to audition speakers and buy the speakers that sound the best to them for their movies and music. Simple as that.
post #120 of 127 Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Again when you say cranking volumes they are not as loud as others would use for movies.

How do you know? We're you there?

Loud is loud. It does not take a college degree to know what is too loud for you. Well, unless you are hearing impaired and normal loud is not loud enough for you.

If I walk into a THX movie room and feel that the sound is too loud, I will walk out. I am not going to sit there and endure the pain just because some guy thinks I should be listening to that volume.

And no, I usually don't pull out my SPL meter in a middle of a party. But it doesn't take much brains to know that loud is loud, pain is pain.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page