$7-$8K Budget for LCR Upgrade...Need Help Narrowing Down Options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey all, I have recently gotten the itch to upgrade my entire HT (which is a common problem with this hobby :P), which I am accomplishing slowly over this year. So far, I have already upgraded all my electronics as follows:

-Parasound Halo A21
-Parasound Halo A51
-Marantz AV8801

My current hang-up is on narrowing down and selecting my speakers, specifically the LCRs (surrounds would naturally hang off of what was selected here). I have spent countless hours researching as well as listening to what I have available to me in the Las Vegas area. Requirements are 90/10 movies/music, best performance/cost ratio, FL & FR I prefer as towers, and high WAF. Here is what I have personally narrowed down to choose from (that I have heard and/or researched; of course, I am open to options that I may have missed) but am having a hard time deciding out of. They are in no particular order for consideration...

1.) *Used* Aerial Acoustics Model 9 or 7B and Aerial Acoustics CC5. (Out of the running as my source dried up).
2.) Salk SCST (or HT2-TL) and Salk SCSC (or HT2C)
3.) Monitor Audio Gold GX300 and GX350C
4.) PSB Synchrony One and PSB Synchrony One C (performed another listen, and did not think they were as good as the others listed here)
5.) Triad Gold (Newly added)
6.) JBL Synthesis (Contacted a dealer for a listen)

I know the JTR Noesis are sacred around here lately, however, my high WAF requirement immediately counts them out; the same thing goes for the Philharmonic stuff (she doesn't like the triangular look of them). I do not mind sourcing from Ebay or Audiogon either.

I really appreciate everyone's help in advance too. Thanks! biggrin.gif

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I would look into Triad Gold LCR for the mains.
post #3 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow those look nice...thanks for adding fuel to the fire so to speak...wink.gif

ABS!NTH
post #4 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

Wow those look nice...thanks for adding fuel to the fire so to speak...wink.gif

Your welcome. The Triads are made in the USA and have tons of custom finish options s well.

I have not heard 1, and 2 on your list but I have heard 3, and 4 and would rank the Triad's above both. What are you doing for subwoofers?
post #5 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For now I will be sticking with my dual Epik Empires, but I plan on upgrading to dual Seaton Submersive F2s.

ABS!NTH
post #6 of 127 Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Sell your amps and get some Seaton Catalysts, they are self powered and pretty as well. They would fit in perfectly with your planned Submersives anyway. I would much rather have those than any of the other speakers you mentioned.

Just look at the kind of set you could have!
post #7 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Sell your amps and get some Seaton Catalysts, they are self powered and pretty as well. They would fit in perfectly with your planned Submersives anyway. I would much rather have those than any of the other speakers you mentioned.

Very good point. Lots of finish options too.
post #8 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 12
Do you have pictures of your room? Triad products are awesome, and the Gold LCRs would be ideal given your application and budget. Keep in mind that there are in-wall Gold LCRs that sound exactly like the in-room models, as WAF is a consideration. This would save you floor space and obviate the need for stands, though you'd have to have appropriate wall depth, spacing between studs, and a commitment to fixed positioning. You can even mix and match an in-room center and in-wall left and right speakers if needed.
post #9 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would rather not get rid of my Parasound amps, as I want to use them. I will definitely add the Triad Gold to the list, and have already made contact with a dealer to check the out. In walls are not an option for me, plus I like displaying the gear in the room smile.gif. Any other choices or opinions to help me narrow everything down? Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

ABS!NTH
post #10 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

I would rather not get rid of my Parasound amps, as I want to use them. I will definitely add the Triad Gold to the list, and have already made contact with a dealer to check the out. In walls are not an option for me, plus I like displaying the gear in the room smile.gif. Any other choices or opinions to help me narrow everything down? Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

If you have some room space, an acoustically transparent screen and projector would be ideal. Place three matching Triad Gold in-room's behind the screen. It's not about looks per se, but sonic quality. Locking the sound to the picture like in a pro cinema is the way to go. Absolutely. Anything else is a compromise. And AT screens are not that expensive nowadays. SeymourAV's 4k material is very good. Get the Triad Gold on-wall surrounds to round things out.

In fact, Triad recommends Halo's for their speakers, unless you need even more power for a very large room.

Triad's are outstanding speakers. Theater sized sound, but refined enough for music reproduction.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #11 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

This is my vote. I heard them last month and LOVED them. The problem is they are around 12 grand for 3 of them, I don't know how much you could get if you sell you amps but that could help.

-edit-

Oops, missed that you said you don't want to sell you amps - nevermind. smile.gif
post #12 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I would look into the JBL Synthesis speakers.

No, not the $75,000 Synthesis Everest: biggrin.gif

But the Synthesis LS80:

which retails $1500 each, but a nice dealer might be able to sell them to you for $1000 each.

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/97
post #13 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

But the Synthesis LS80:

which retails $1500 each, but a nice dealer might be able to sell them to you for $1000 each.

I would definitely look into those as well. Nice looking and should be solid for home theater. I still think the Traid's might be better, but definitely worth checking into.
post #14 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I looked at these but quickly dismissed them as I have never been a fan of horns....I will go give them a listen too though anyway...there are a couple of dealers for JBL Synthesis in town too. Keep it coming! As stated earlier thanks again!

ABS!NTH
post #15 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

No, not the $75,000 Synthesis Everest: biggrin.gif

But the Synthesis LS80:

I think JBL missed the boat on making those a great pair of speakers. As they are, I think they are a good pair of speakers. The 88.5db sensitivity (90db 2.83 volts/1M is 88.5 db 1W/1M) kills those for me. In my room, I would only be able to get about 98db clean peaks and that is if I provide them with 400 watts of clean peak power. If they were 92db sensitivity or higher (preferably 94db), I think I could really like those speakers. Now this is based on my expectations, which is going to be different from others.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #16 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for sharing...I will have to keep this in mind. I will be giving these a listen hopefully tomorrow (waiting to hear back from the dealer)...To update my above list....

1.) Triad Gold
2.) Monitor Gold
3.) Salk SCST
4.) JBL Synthesis LS80

Anything else? Anyone who has owned or currently owns any from the above list and can comment to help me slim the choices down? Thanks.

ABS!NTH
post #17 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Thank you for sharing...I will have to keep this in mind. I will be giving these a listen hopefully tomorrow (waiting to hear back from the dealer)...To update my above list....

1.) Triad Gold
2.) Monitor Gold
3.) Salk SCST
4.) JBL Synthesis LS80

Anything else?

Sure. The Revel F208 and KEF R900 (nice dealers might help on their prices also).

post #18 of 127 Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice....those make the cut...too many choices...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ABS!NTH
post #19 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Nice....those make the cut...too many choices...

You have upgraded to some serious electronics. Even overkill for your speaker budget for a movie system. I know... I'm a dealer for those electronics as well as many of the speaker lines people have recommended in this thread. I'm not criticizing your electronics choice, BTW. You certainly went for the outstanding and got it! That's never going to hurt you. I just want to make sure that in recommending your front stage that:

1- We wouldn't be wasting those beautiful Halo Amps

&

2 - Your budget and decor expectations are met.

Question: Are in-walls out of the question?

BG Radia is in Carson City. Call them and ask for Robin or Adam. Either would absolutely LOVE to have you come up and let you tour their facility and let you demo their speakers.

If it were my choice, I would do BG Radia In-Wall for your budget, electronics, WAF, and high performance expectations. There's not even a close second anywhere near these in performance. Not the Revels, the Synthesis, or the Triad. In fact, I like the Triads least on the list. Particularly for the cost/value.

That being said, if in-walls are out of the question I would recommend the Revel F208 or F206 depending on your room size. Even if you are turned off on the idea of in-wall, I would go have a listen and then reevaluate from there. They are THAT amazing and you have the electronics to make them sing their best.

Models I would suggest:

LA-550 http://bgcorp.com/in-wall_LA.html

Home Theater Mag Review: http://www.hometheater.com/content/bg-radia-la-550-wall-speaker-system

And, because the center in-wall would require too much work, the CC-220 will be fine (unless you are doing custom woodwork, in which case do something larger if budget permits. They are all voiced the same so I would not hesitate using the in-room center if you have normal cabinetry under your display: http://bgcorp.com/in-wall_CC-IC.html

If the LA-550 is too long/large for you, then the SA-360 is unbelievable as wellhttp://bgcorp.com/in-wall_SA.html . This could go in the wall and be covered by acoustically transparent artwork. We manufacture these ourselves for clients all the time to hide in-walls for the WAF. There are several sources for doing this.

Either way, in my opinion, both of the above options would give you one of the most unique, finest systems on these forums. Those speakers are unbelievable and virtually without peer.

The Synthesis would be my 3rd choice. Not because they aren't good. They are an excellent speaker and a great value. It's just that you would be upside down on proper budgetary allowances in electronics/speakers. Those LS80 towers can be powered by a $1,300-$2,000 receiver just fine. That's basically a nice lawn mower engine when you've got one of the world's finest V8 at your disposal.

Hope this gives you some food for thought!
post #20 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@PlexMulti
Thank you very much. Due to the room, in walls are definitely out of the question as I have windows everywhere...literally. Does BG Radia make in room speakers or just in walls? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ABS!NTH
post #21 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would add the Dali Helicon's to the list,
Pair of 300 MK2 for LR
C200 MK2 for your center. and they work wonderfully with the Parasound amps. I have the A51 and 3 of the A23's for surround duty in 11.1 with the Marantz 8801.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #22 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

@PlexMulti
Thank you very much. Due to the room, in walls are definitely out of the question as I have windows everywhere...literally. Does BG Radia make in room speakers or just in walls? Thanks!

Yes they do, I would recommend the FS-420 over the 520, as it has a higher sensitivity rating (and its cheaper). There is a new 320 coming out, but I do not know the specs.:
http://www.bgcorp.com/PDFs/FS-420%20Radia%20Product%20sheet%20.pdf
post #23 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Yes they do, I would recommend the FS-420 over the 520, as it has a higher sensitivity rating (and its cheaper). There is a new 320 coming out, but I do not know the specs.:

Those look very nice indeed...added to my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I would add the Dali Helicon's to the list,
Pair of 300 MK2 for LR
C200 MK2 for your center. and they work wonderfully with the Parasound amps. I have the A51 and 3 of the A23's for surround duty in 11.1 with the Marantz 8801.

I can get a very good deal on the Helicon 800 MKIIs at the moment...I was going to ask about these but you basically beat me to it.

ALSO:

All:
Since I am unable to hear some of these, it may help if I list what I am upgrading from so that others better understand what I may or may not like (I know this will be difficult, but this is really the only option for some of these being mentioned) based on the sound of the following:

B&W DM604S3 Mains
B&W DM LCR600S3 Center
B&W DM601S3 Surrounds (2 pairs)
Emotiva XPA 5
Emotiva XPA 2

I have auditioned 700 series B&W (barely distinguishable from my 600 series), and 800 series...I do not particularly care for the diamond tweeter as it sounds to blaring/harsh to my ears.

Thanks.

ABS!NTH
post #24 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE:
I have just auditioned the Revel F208 and boy are those things siiiiiick....absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding (the dealer let me hook up my Parasound A21 to them). We may have a winner....I have to mull it over some more though LOL...tongue.gif

ABS!NTH
post #25 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

BG Radia is in Carson City. Call them and ask for Robin or Adam. Either would absolutely LOVE to have you come up and let you tour their facility and let you demo their speakers.
Audition, audition, audition.....
Glad you are listening to speakers for yourself. Do yourself a favor and visit BG Radia like PlexMulti suggests. They are indeed pretty amazing speakers.....
Good Luck !
post #26 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, will do. Although with my work schedule it will be next to impossible to go up there...its an eight to nine hour drive from Las Vegas....

ABS!NTH
post #27 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, will do. Although with my work schedule it will be next to impossible to go up there...its an eight to nine hour drive from Las Vegas....

A definite third on the BG Radia speakers to audition. I personally like them more than Revel, and perhaps there is a dealer closer that carries them?
post #28 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not sure what's up with their site, but their dealer locator page is not working for me...

ABS!NTH
post #29 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:

@PlexMulti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Yes, the FS-420 would be BGs better floor standing speaker until the new $35,000 pair comes out. The FS-420 will sound different than the Revel F208, which is an incredible speaker. The BG will not have the low end of the Revel. Not even close. The sound presentation and voice I like better, but low end bass will be thin in comparison. The revel is a more attractive speaker, IMO, as well. For the money, I would chose that over the FS-420. You will just get more force out of it in comparison and for a movie, that's a good thing.
post #30 of 127 Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Not sure what's up with their site, but their dealer locator page is not working for me...

yeah, their dealer locator has always had issues. This is being fixed on their new website. Give Taffy, Jessi, Robin, or Adam a call over there. They are all incredibly kind people who will help anwer whatever you'd like about their speakers.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page