Wave Crest Audio HLV-1... Ascend designed budget bookshelf - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Nice review! I have to say, I don't think these speakers are bad looking at all. I agree they could maybe use a logo on the grill to break things up, but I actually prefer the matte black to the typical fake wood wrap. They sound like a slightly laid back speaker, which isn't a bad thing to me. I have Energy RC-10s, which are too laid back for some people, but I love the smoothness of them. I hope this review helps put these speakers on more people's radar, as they seem like a great value.
cschang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Curtis,

Any plans for an MTM? The HVL-1 did perform pretty well laid on it's side, but that's not ideal for off-axis dispersion, and it places the tweeter fairly far off center.

An MTM design with an elevated tweeter, similar to the HTM-200SE, should be possible given the tiny mounting plate for the tweeter... and would allow for close woofer spacing that would help lessen off-axis irregularities. Thoughts?
post #63 of 86 Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
We are looking into the viability of bringing a few different things to market. smile.gif
docbrazen likes this.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #64 of 86 Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just read through this entire thread! Some nice info here("shill" comment notwithstanding tongue.gif). These have peeked my interest. Seriously giving these a look. I'm also looking for an AVR, any suggestions to complement the HVL-1's? $500 or less.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #65 of 86 Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Just read through this entire thread! Some nice info here("shill" comment notwithstanding tongue.gif). These have peeked my interest. Seriously giving these a look. I'm also looking for an AVR, any suggestions to complement the HVL-1's? $500 or less.

Any name brand AVR will pair well with those speakers. Look at Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer. Pick the one that has the features you like smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #66 of 86 Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Any name brand AVR will pair well with those speakers. Look at Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer. Pick the one that has the features you like smile.gif
I absolutely concur. The HVL-1's are not a difficult load to drive, and any brand name receiver would work fine with them.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #67 of 86 Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM

Liked: 11

I've received these bookshelves this week and have been using these for several days and I am very glad with my purchase.

Detailed review is on its way, may be in a couple of weeks time.

As for the AVR recommendation, it would be quite to difficult to recommend you with a specific model or brand as every individual has different requirements. 

5.1? 7.2? network support availability? necessity for bluetooth? A/B speaker availability, number of sources you are planning to link to AVR etc..

There are so many to consider.

Each brand carries variety of models and it will really depend on your preference.

I've used Denon AVR 15 years ago, Onkyo 10 years ago, Yamaha 3 years ago, and now on Pioneer.

Among these 4, my personal favourite was Yamaha, mine was RX-V473 (there is newer version now).

I really loved Yamaha's GUI (graphic user interface for setting) and its sound reproduction capability, it seemed to have more warmth in the sound compared to my current Pioneer.

Moreover, Yamaha's surround sound modes (I cannot remember exact names but it was something like concert hall mode, cathedral mode etc..) were actually quite useful unlike my current Pioneer which is just a joke.

I am just hoping that my AVR will fail soon, so I can make an excuse of getting a new one, I'd love to get Yamaha again, but I am also very curious about Cambridge Audio AVRs as well. 

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Gmash likes this.
post #68 of 86 Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquido View Post

I've received these bookshelves this week and have been using these for several days and I am very glad with my purchase.
Detailed review is on its way, may be in a couple of weeks time.

As for the AVR recommendation, it would be quite to difficult to recommend you with a specific model or brand as every individual has different requirements. 
5.1? 7.2? network support availability? necessity for bluetooth? A/B speaker availability, number of sources you are planning to link to AVR etc..
There are so many to consider.
Each brand carries variety of models and it will really depend on your preference.

I've used Denon AVR 15 years ago, Onkyo 10 years ago, Yamaha 3 years ago, and now on Pioneer.
Among these 4, my personal favourite was Yamaha, mine was RX-V473 (there is newer version now).
I really loved Yamaha's GUI (graphic user interface for setting) and its sound reproduction capability, it seemed to have more warmth in the sound compared to my current Pioneer.
Moreover, Yamaha's surround sound modes (I cannot remember exact names but it was something like concert hall mode, cathedral mode etc..) were actually quite useful unlike my current Pioneer which is just a joke.

I am just hoping that my AVR will fail soon, so I can make an excuse of getting a new one, I'd love to get Yamaha again, but I am also very curious about Cambridge Audio AVRs as well. 

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Thanks. Appreciate your input. I most likely will not need anything more than 5.1 setup. Network support is a must. Bluetooth functionality is important but that can be added with an adapter on most models regardless of brand. It'll be a 3.1 setup from the start. I will only be using a PS3(games, movies, Netflix) and a Direct TV HD DVR to the AVR. Going forward I can only see myself adding maybe one more device, CD player possibly to the mix.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #69 of 86 Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought a pair of HLV-1s for my teenage son for Christmas, and also gave him an old Onkyo receiver I bought when I was in college. Mounted on spiked steel stands, these speakers sound just phenomenal. The low end was very well represented on a gorgeous song by Cat Power, and I pulled up Yes's 90210 for some rock nostalgia. Everything sounded really good.

I was planning to spend more money on speakers to use with my Yamaha RX-797 stereo amp in the family room, but I think I may just pick up another pair of these. BTW I also have Ascend's CBM170s in my home theater. If I can find the time I'll write up a comparison. The HLV-1s are definitely more wife-friendly.
post #70 of 86 Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

I bought a pair of HLV-1s for my teenage son for Christmas, and also gave him an old Onkyo receiver I bought when I was in college. Mounted on spiked steel stands, these speakers sound just phenomenal. The low end was very well represented on a gorgeous song by Cat Power, and I pulled up Yes's 90210 for some rock nostalgia. Everything sounded really good.

I was planning to spend more money on speakers to use with my Yamaha RX-797 stereo amp in the family room, but I think I may just pick up another pair of these. BTW I also have Ascend's CBM170s in my home theater. If I can find the time I'll write up a comparison. The HLV-1s are definitely more wife-friendly.

Cool, I would like to hear that comparison.
post #71 of 86 Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very happy you are enjoying them.

Hope you let your son have a turn. smile.gif

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #72 of 86 Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Very happy you are enjoying them.

Hope you let your son have a turn. smile.gif

He politely kicked me out of his room as soon as I finished putting the stands together. :-)
post #73 of 86 Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He politely kicked me out of his room as soon as I finished putting the stands together. :-)

Well..at least he was polite. smile.gif

Would love to get his feedback as well.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #74 of 86 Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Everyone is familiar with "trickle down" of electronics. Dad buys nicer stuff, and the old stuff goes to the kids or the family room. Well, here's a story of trickle-up. smile.gif

I used to have a pair of Tivolis mounted in the room where my pinball collection lives. I had to use these for a project I did for my wife, "restoring" an old console stereo (actually I gutted it and put more modern parts in the cabinet, but she's happy so that's all that matters). So I've been without speakers for a few months. This really sucks, because when I'm restoring a game I need music. After kicking back with my son in his room and listening to his HLV-1s this past month, I decided they were perfect for the pinball room too. Front-ported means I can mount them right on the wall, next to the tiki masks.

BTW I highly recommend these speaker stands with the HLV-1's. We're using them in my son's room.

Oh, and the kid loves these speakers with dubstep and what I'd call "classical metal", which are his favorite genres. He listens to Hendrix and Clapton too.
post #75 of 86 Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

Everyone is familiar with "trickle down" of electronics. Dad buys nicer stuff, and the old stuff goes to the kids or the family room. Well, here's a story of trickle-up. smile.gif

I used to have a pair of Tivolis mounted in the room where my pinball collection lives. I had to use these for a project I did for my wife, "restoring" an old console stereo (actually I gutted it and put more modern parts in the cabinet, but she's happy so that's all that matters). So I've been without speakers for a few months. This really sucks, because when I'm restoring a game I need music. After kicking back with my son in his room and listening to his HLV-1s this past month, I decided they were perfect for the pinball room too. Front-ported means I can mount them right on the wall, next to the tiki masks.

BTW I highly recommend these speaker stands with the HLV-1's. We're using them in my son's room.

That's a great story, and a good testament for the HLV-1. As an aside, I have a set of AKG budget headphones because my middle school aged son got a pair first and modded them. They sounded so good I had to get a pair for myself and mod them smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #76 of 86 Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 477
It is nice to know, that some speakers work well for PinBall.smile.gif

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #77 of 86 Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I got these in the mail yesterday evening and set them up this morning. I'm using three for the lcr and they sound phenomenal. I only had time to play a few songs from the Les Miserables anniversary blu-ray from the O2 and it was amazing. Everything was crystal clear and this is before I was even really able to get the setup right. I can't wait until I have more free time to really crank them.

post #78 of 86 Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great Speakers

I'm running a 2.1 system with the HLV-1's and an SVS PB-1000 sub - couldn't be happier with the sound. I've left the front grills off the speakers and get compliments all the time about how cool they look and how good they sound.
post #79 of 86 Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.kimm View Post
I'm running a 2.1 system with the HLV-1's and an SVS PB-1000 sub - couldn't be happier with the sound. I've left the front grills off the speakers and get compliments all the time about how cool they look and how good they sound.
Thanks Kevin! We are very happy you are enjoying them.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #80 of 86 Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Liked: 0
So after looking around for different speakers, I've decided to go with the HLV-1 for my first-ever pair.

I'm much more familiar with headphone set-ups, so I was wondering - if I wanted to play music off my MacBook Pro with the HLV-1s, what else would I need besides the speakers themselves and an amplifier? Any cables or little odds and ends that I need to take into account (which are not included otherwise)? Suggestions on amplifiers are also appreciated (I'm looking at the Topping TP30).
post #81 of 86 Old 09-10-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyrajah View Post
So after looking around for different speakers, I've decided to go with the HLV-1 for my first-ever pair.

I'm much more familiar with headphone set-ups, so I was wondering - if I wanted to play music off my MacBook Pro with the HLV-1s, what else would I need besides the speakers themselves and an amplifier? Any cables or little odds and ends that I need to take into account (which are not included otherwise)? Suggestions on amplifiers are also appreciated (I'm looking at the Topping TP30).
All you would need are speaker cables from the TP30 to the speakers.

The TP30, I believe, comes with the proper USB cable.

Will this be a desktop setup with the MacBook pro? Where will the speakers be positioned?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #82 of 86 Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
All you would need are speaker cables from the TP30 to the speakers.

The TP30, I believe, comes with the proper USB cable.

Will this be a desktop setup with the MacBook pro? Where will the speakers be positioned?
What I'm hoping to do is to position the speakers to the left and right of a bed while using stands to bring them off the ground a little. I would be using them primarily for music, either off a MacBook Pro or a Sansa Clip+.
post #83 of 86 Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What I'm hoping to do is to position the speakers to the left and right of a bed while using stands to bring them off the ground a little. I would be using them primarily for music, either off a MacBook Pro or a Sansa Clip+.
Sounds good.
At the foot or the head of the bed?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #84 of 86 Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Sounds good.
At the foot or the head of the bed?
I haven't really decided yet - what positioning do you think would be best for low-medium level listening?
post #85 of 86 Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I haven't really decided yet - what positioning do you think would be best for low-medium level listening?
So it sounds like this is for music in the bedroom?

For me, I would create something so I would have a nice stereo image when sitting up and reading, etc. So along the front wall(opposite the bed), and facing the bed.
zieglj01 and jellyrajah like this.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #86 of 86 Old 09-12-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
So it sounds like this is for music in the bedroom?

For me, I would create something so I would have a nice stereo image when sitting up and reading, etc. So along the front wall(opposite the bed), and facing the bed.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page