post #91 of 98 Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I've tried to get the ARX/Chane A1 and HTD Level 3 bookshelf for a shootout and review, but haven't had any luck. Only asked once though and it was on the forums, not a call or e-mail. Wouldn't mind throwing in the HLV-1 or any other I can get. I could probably get another guy to have a listen too that has a lot more experience with higher end stuff (salon2, 800's, TAD, RBH, etc).
We got a request for a review a couple of days ago. When those return, we can offer them to you for a shootout/review.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi Curtis,

I just found out about these speakers today, and am very intrigued...the only thing that gives me pause is the 86db sensitivity listed because I am looking for something to pair with my Trends Audio T-amp.

Would that be a very bad idea? Have you ever tried to power it with a T-amp? I'm not looking to shake the walls or anything, just want to get comfortable listening levels and have good detail even at low levels.
post #93 of 98 Old 11-26-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
hi Curtis,

I just found out about these speakers today, and am very intrigued...the only thing that gives me pause is the 86db sensitivity listed because I am looking for something to pair with my Trends Audio T-amp.

Would that be a very bad idea? Have you ever tried to power it with a T-amp? I'm not looking to shake the walls or anything, just want to get comfortable listening levels and have good detail even at low levels.
Absolutely. We actually have a pair hooked up to a t-amp in my daughter's room. Works great.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #94 of 98 Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nice to still see you around Curtis. I'm putting together a new budget setup based around my "not so easy on the budget" Denon 4311. I think these fit the bill for what I'm restricted to size wise; doesn't hurt they happen to be on sale.
Billy p likes this.
post #95 of 98 Unread 12-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Am i crazy, or did the price go down to under $200 + free shipping???
post #96 of 98 Unread 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post
Am i crazy, or did the price go down to under $200 + free shipping???
Nope...not crazy (maybe we are).

Holiday and Year End sale!

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #97 of 98 Unread 12-13-2014, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, Im very happy I got a pair of these. Best speakers I've owned to date. I've owned or still own, Cerwin Vega LS8, Sony SS-MB300, Micca MB42, and Polk Monitor 70 Series II. The HLV-1 sounds better than all those, imo. Hard to describe why so I'll just say, everything from highs to mids to lows have more clarity than the other speakers I've owned. Getting these has awoken a monster within. Now that I've had a small taste of good audio, I want more. But I'm broke so I'll just enjoy these for many years to come

EDIT:
I also tried these as PC speakers. I currently use the Micca's with a Lepai t-amp. The HLV-1 sounded great with that little t-amp. I might have to get another pair next year to replace the Micca's
Billy p likes this.

Last edited by weez82; 12-13-2014 at 01:09 AM.
post #98 of 98 Unread Today, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's been almost a year now that I've had these speakers and still love them. I use them as an LCR and have dual PB-1000's from SVS and couldn't be happier. Usage is probably 70/30 in favor of movies and they're great with both. Someday I'll get a picture up...

With the sale these are an incredible bargain. I recommend them to anyone I can looking for speakers in this price range. Well done Curtis and Dave.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com