Raising towers off floor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wife has decided she wants to rearrange a few pieces of furniture which will cause one of my towers to be firing into the side of a sofa with the bottom speaker being completely out of sight and roughly about 18 inches from the side of the sofa. mad.gif

What acoustic problems is this gonna create and how much front stage quality am i gonna lose or disturb by raising the towers? Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If the drivers are too far above your head, and how far is too far depends on your speaker's off axis freq response, it can result in a thinner sound or a less defined sound stage because of the loss of direct sound from the speaker.

If there are no other options for placement then you'll just have to try to keep the tweeter as close to ear level as possible while also allowing it clear the side of the sofa.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Hicks smile.gif
post #4 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post

Wife has decided she wants to rearrange a few pieces of furniture which will cause one of my towers to be firing into the side of a sofa with the bottom speaker being completely out of sight and roughly about 18 inches from the side of the sofa.
Is that a woofer? What's the crossover frequency? If it's 200Hz or lower it's radiating pattern is omni-directional and it won't be bothered.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Is that a woofer? What's the crossover frequency? If it's 200Hz or lower it's radiating pattern is omni-directional and it won't be bothered.

Personally I wouldn't put a non-subwoofer type speaker only 18 inches from a soft surface like a couch, 300-400 is a more typical crossover point for a woofer in a tower speaker.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Bill & Jason, the towers are BIC FH-6t's and the affected speaker would in fact be a woofer. Crossover i'm not quite sure of. My guess is i will need to raise it approx. 12-14" so the woofer will not be firing directly towards the side of the sofa.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill & Jason, the towers are BIC FH-6t's and the affected speaker would in fact be a woofer. Crossover i'm not quite sure of. My guess is i will need to raise it approx. 12-14" so the woofer will not be firing directly towards the side of the sofa.

That's a two way speaker so the crossover point would have to be around 1KHz or higher.

I'd definitely raise it up, 12" above ear level shouldn't compromise the sound quality too much.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, much appreciated smile.gif
post #9 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Have you considered a pair of speaker stands? Or possibly relocating your speakers to either side of your television? Do you have a receiver that has an automatic speaker calibration routine? I have the same issue with my right channel speaker is right in front of the end of my couch...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Have you considered a pair of speaker stands? Or possibly relocating your speakers to either side of your television? Do you have a receiver that has an automatic speaker calibration routine? I have the same issue with my right channel speaker is right in front of the end of my couch...

I have a Pioneer with MCACC but have not run it yet with the furniture in the new position since the wife has not fully decided whether to move the pieces or not. Considering the room configuration, if the furniture is moved, that will put the right channel speaker at the end of the sofa as yours. The speakers are currently on each side of the TV of course, at about 7ft. apart. I have looked at all options but there would be no other way around it other than raising the towers.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys, much appreciated smile.gif

Glad to help!
post #12 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
What about toeing the speakers in toward the center or MLP? I have a couch that isn't that far from my right front speaker as well. Mine is the Acoustech PL-89 and I have both of my L&R toed in towards the MLP. For me it doesn't affect the sound in anyway I can hear.

Shawn
post #13 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't imagine a logical placement where the lower woofer would be aimed at the side of a sofa.

post #14 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

What about toeing the speakers in toward the center or MLP? I have a couch that isn't that far from my right front speaker as well. Mine is the Acoustech PL-89 and I have both of my L&R toed in towards the MLP. For me it doesn't affect the sound in anyway I can hear.

That would be a possibility but to my guesstimation, should the sofa go where she wants it to go, then that would put the tv stand almost touching the front of the sofa with no ability to move further either way because of a doorway on the left side. With that happening, there would not be any benefit to toeing in the speaker since it will be so close to the side of the sofa with not much gap between the tv stand and the front edge of the sofa.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Well compromises have to be made I would just explain to her that this would be the worst thing to do for sound. I just moved to a new house and have an HT setup in the Living Room. I got to layout everything the way I wanted to within reason in that room. I let my wife layout all the rest of the rooms in the house. She doesn't mind the way it is her only complaint is how far out I have the speakers. The side of the speaker is 12" from the side wall and the rear of the speaker is 18" from the front wall.

Shawn
post #16 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Not very good at the drawing but here is the proposed location of the sofa. There are other pieces on other walls but i only have shown the trouble location.

post #17 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If that's the entire room then it's just a plain bad layout. Bad TV viewing and bad listening. Time to negotiate with the wife.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

If that's the entire room then it's just a plain bad layout. Bad TV viewing and bad listening. Time to negotiate with the wife.

Sofa is now on the back wall directly in front of the tv and there is a Loveseat on the left wall. The right wall where she wants the sofa to go, only has a wall cabinet similar to a china hutch on it and several single chairs.

She now wants the sofa to the right, the Loveseat on the back wall and the cabinet and chairs on the left wall. We have a bedroom upstairs that is not being used, so it looks like now is the time to convince her that it would be better served as a Dedicated Theater Room!cool.gif
post #19 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Looks like you might have to figure out a creative way to raise your speakers. It looks like they measure 39 inches tall. If you can get them up at least 8 inches or more, you could be good to go.

http://www.soundanchors.com/SPEAKER%20STAND%203%20POST.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not very good at the drawing but here is the proposed location of the sofa. There are other pieces on other walls but i only have shown the trouble location.

Like I said, illogical. How can you see the TV from the sofa?

post #21 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

The only logic in it would be, that's where the wife wants to put it whether it's logical for you or me or not. Depends on which end you're sitting on. biggrin.gif Our viewing area will now be the Loveseat which will be on the back wall directly in front of the tv. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone setting on the sofa except the end closest to the tv.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Looks like you might have to figure out a creative way to raise your speakers. It looks like they measure 39 inches tall. If you can get them up at least 8 inches or more, you could be good to go.

http://www.soundanchors.com/SPEAKER%20STAND%203%20POST.html

Myoda, thanks for the link. I was using 12-14" rise as an estimate but failed to consider that i only needed to raise them enough for the woofer itself to clear and not the entire speaker. Looks like 8-9" should be about right for clearance. That sounds a bit better than the 12-14.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Revamped the drawing a little.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page