Powering Martin Logan Montis in 2.0, and B&W Diamond 804's with Center and Surrounds (7.2) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi -

I am looking for recommendations to power these two setups. The first is for my living room, and I will be running a simple 2.0 system with Martin Logan Montis electrostats. What is the best way to power them? (stereo amp/preamp, monoblocks, etc). Specific brands and model #'s of these items would also be helpful.

The second is for my media room. Looking for the same type of info. B&W Diamond 804's with the HTM4 Center, and tbh I'm still uncertain regarding the surrounds and subs.

There is so much to choose from, and so many different configurations, that I keep spinning in circles and figured I could get some good feedback here smile.gif

Thanks -

(sorry I may have posted this in the wrong section :/ )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Well, those are some really nice speakers! First I must ask you, what is your budget? I would personally use a nice receiver for your B&W theater setup, something such as the Denon AVR-4520, add in a nice Emotiva amp, or perhaps a Paradound Halo 23 if you want to step it up a notch. That would really make those B&W's sound excellent!

For your Martin Logan's, (I need to know your budget for this as well), I would go with a nice integrated amp from perhaps Musical Fidelity, or perhaps use a Wyrd4Sound amp and pre-amp or use a Benchmark DAC1 as a pre-amp into a nice Parasound amp, or you could really step it up a notch and go with a McIntosh MA6600 integrated! Any of those should perform well, and to be 100% honest, I doubt that you could even tell any of those apart. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Well, those are some really nice speakers! First I must ask you, what is your budget? I would personally use a nice receiver for your B&W theater setup, something such as the Denon AVR-4520, add in a nice Emotiva amp, or perhaps a Paradound Halo 23 if you want to step it up a notch. That would really make those B&W's sound excellent!

For your Martin Logan's, (I need to know your budget for this as well), I would go with a nice integrated amp from perhaps Musical Fidelity, or perhaps use a Wyrd4Sound amp and pre-amp or use a Benchmark DAC1 as a pre-amp into a nice Parasound amp, or you could really step it up a notch and go with a McIntosh MA6600 integrated! Any of those should perform well, and to be 100% honest, I doubt that you could even tell any of those apart. Good luck!

I am really liking the sound of the McIntosh MA6600, would love to hear feedback regarding its performance for an integrated solution. Having one piece as opposed to 2-3 is a turn on, especially being in a visible area of my living room. Price on the other hand...it's definitely up there, but all things considered, it might be worth it.

For the theater, what are the thoughts of running a Marantz setup with that level of speaker? I like the idea of the MM8077 paired with the AV7701 preamp. Is that a viable option, particularly for the LCR's being B&W Diamond series?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

To update, I think I am leaning toward (2) Martin Logan Dynamo 1000's and Definitive UIW RSS II for side and rear surrounds in the media room.

I hear Bi-Amping the 804D's is basically....useless. Is this true?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoChan View Post

I am really liking the sound of the McIntosh MA6600, would love to hear feedback regarding its performance for an integrated solution. Having one piece as opposed to 2-3 is a turn on, especially being in a visible area of my living room. Price on the other hand...it's definitely up there, but all things considered, it might be worth it.

For the theater, what are the thoughts of running a Marantz setup with that level of speaker? I like the idea of the MM8077 paired with the AV7701 preamp. Is that a viable option, particularly for the LCR's being B&W Diamond series?

Parasound Halo is better equipment than the Mac stuff. Hands down.

At a trade show where ML debuted the Montis I was speaking with one of their techs and he asked us what electronics we carried. I told him Parasound Halo and he said those were perfect and some of the best electronics out there. I asked him about the Mac equipment they were using on the Montis there at the show and he said that Mac offered it at the show so they used it for free. He said he felt that Halo was a better product.

It's tough to find a better product than Parasound Halo, IMO. It's built incredibly well and provides just about as clean and powerful a signal as anything would need.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page