In Wall Speaker Suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Everyone,
I've been reading everything and decided to start my own thread. I had an ancient account but couldn't remember my log in so I made a new one.

So this is for my living room (dedicated HT will be later) and my floor plan is very open so floor standing are out of the question. I need above average sound but it doesn't have to be extreme. Of course no one here is looking for average. Mostly movies and tv with some music.

I'm considering at the moment,

Center - Klipsch R-5502-W II
Left and Right - Either same as center or R-5800-W II
Surround L+R and Surround Back L+R - Klipsch R-5650-S II

I also need suggestions for a subwoofer. In wall or in/under floor (I can build an enclosure). Id also consider a free standing one as well because it will probably sound better and be more cost effective.

The speakers are around 400 each so 2800 for everything plus a sub. If its worth it I'd be open to spending a little bit more. I was also looking at B&W but there is many options and the layout of their website stinks. So hopefully somebody can recommend something they have experience with. I don't know if B&W in the same price range will sound as good. I'm open to ebay and such. This is a niche market so it's quite difficult to audition and compare several at the same time.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'd be willing to spend more on LCR if it's worth it.

And a free standing sub is fine if it's best. Can I do two subs by just splitting the output?

I'm using a yamaha 671 by the way. If that's adequate.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I would try Definitive Technology's UIW line of in-walls for the price (especially their RLS models for the front L/R at least). If you don't have well placed walls for surrounds, the next best thing would be their RCS in-ceiling bipolars with a good driver angle for aiming the sound at the listening position. Look on Ebay.

Check out Rythmik in-room subs. Different decor pleasing finishes too. And yes, an in-room would be better for the money.

You can use an RCA Y-splitter to send the sub info to two units. Or sometimes there's an in-out audio loop through on the sub's plate amp, so you can do a master/slave chain for multiple subs.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Which model rls? I think the walls are decently layed out, not ideal but good enough to avoid the ceiling. Although the rear surrounds may be cool above and behind. I will draw a sketch.

The Rythmiks look nice, any model in particular? I see they sell drivers and amps together, would response be better if I build an enclosure that's mounted under the floor?

Thanks
post #5 of 51 Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the room's dimensions, roughly? If it's fairly large and open, I would suggest the RLS ii's for the fronts, and the UIW 75 for the center, if you have to place it under the display. UIW RSS II's for the side and rear surrounds, if you can place these properly in the walls at the correct locations (sides at 90 degrees, rears at 150 degrees to the main listening position). I wouldn't place the surrounds in the ceiling unless you absolutely have to. You don't want voice of god speakers until you have a format that actually uses them.

Placing the sub in the floor would be waaaaay too much trouble for what it's worth. The sub model is dependent on the volume size of your room. Need that info first. smile.gif

post #6 of 51 Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

About 15 wide by 28 long. 420 sq. ft. and 3,570 cubic feet. Open almost entirely on two sides to a family room of similar size (don't watch from there) and kitchen of greater size but if I'm watching anything from there it isn't too important. Probably just some show or background noise. I'm not worried about not hearing it from there.
post #7 of 51 Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

It wouldn't be too hard because I have access under the floor. I like DTs, I hear pretty much nothing but rave reviews. I just never saw their in walls.

The UIW 75 says vertical orientation only, I assume because it's 16 1/2" and they don't want to hear the crap when people realize it won't fit? Just to clarify, what do you mean if I have to place it under my display, should I not?

I can position the speakers almost ideally in the walls. The rear surrounds will be a bit wide but that's all.
post #8 of 51 Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awenta View Post

It wouldn't be too hard because I have access under the floor. I like DTs, I hear pretty much nothing but rave reviews. I just never saw their in walls.

The UIW 75 says vertical orientation only, I assume because it's 16 1/2" and they don't want to hear the crap when people realize it won't fit? Just to clarify, what do you mean if I have to place it under my display, should I not?

I can position the speakers almost ideally in the walls. The rear surrounds will be a bit wide but that's all.

Well, if you have a flat panel, you would have to place it under the screen. smile.gif Some put identical vertical in-walls across the front and place an acoustically transparent screen in front of them with a projector... yup, even in the living room!

There is also the UIW 65 if the UIW 75 is too tall or too wide for your center speaker mounting position.

post #9 of 51 Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
You've got a really big room that's also open to some other really big rooms. If you want good, powerful bass, then you're going to need a whole lot more sub than what you're looking at. If the Danley DTS-10 comes out in kit for again, you could mount one or two of those under the floor and make a small opening for the mouth of the horn.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #10 of 51 Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Well, if you have a flat panel, you would have to place it under the screen. smile.gif Some put identical vertical in-walls across the front and place an acoustically transparent screen in front of them with a projector... yup, even in the living room!

There is also the UIW 65 if the UIW 75 is too tall or too wide for your center speaker mounting position.

Got it. So the center should be horizontal not vertical, right? I don't care about the size, I will redo the framing and wall to whatever I may need. No way I'd get permission to put a projector. I had a tough enough time with an 80" tv. Its also a very bright room. So do you still suggest those based on the size? And the sub? Which will be in the back left corner and if I ever add a second it will have to be in the front left corner.

I also very much like that the DefTechs are fully enclosed. That was one thing that bothered me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

You've got a really big room that's also open to some other really big rooms. If you want good, powerful bass, then you're going to need a whole lot more sub than what you're looking at. If the Danley DTS-10 comes out in kit for again, you could mount one or two of those under the floor and make a small opening for the mouth of the horn.

Its an awesome looking sub but i don't think the kit is coming back per their description. I don't need such response in the rooms adjacent, just close to the viewing area. I also don't want to get in trouble for messing up some delicate baking or cooking! biggrin.gif
post #11 of 51 Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Use a UIW 65 for the center if the UIW 75 vertically mounted will not work realistically or aesthetically under your monitor (if it's of any help: Def Tech packages the 65 with their rls ii and rss ii in-wall bundle) and stick with the UIW rls ii's for the left and rights, and rss ii's for the wall surrounds.

Subwoofer-wise... I'd go with the Rythmik FV15hp for the best oomph in that room. The next best value of price vs. performance would be the HSU VTF-15h, which has about half the amp power of the FV15hp, but has a larger enclosure (don't know how that would sit with the WAF). The Rythmik is really fantastic, if you can swing it.

post #12 of 51 Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it. So the center should be horizontal not vertical, right? I don't care about the size, I will redo the framing and wall to whatever I may need. No way I'd get permission to put a projector. I had a tough enough time with an 80" tv. Its also a very bright room. So do you still suggest those based on the size? And the sub? Which will be in the back left corner and if I ever add a second it will have to be in the front left corner.

I also very much like that the DefTechs are fully enclosed. That was one thing that bothered me.
Its an awesome looking sub but i don't think the kit is coming back per their description. I don't need such response in the rooms adjacent, just close to the viewing area. I also don't want to get in trouble for messing up some delicate baking or cooking! biggrin.gif
Therein lies much of your problem. Since bass is omnidirectional its going to escape to the other rooms anyway. So you lose the bass energy to the other rooms that would normally be trapped in an enclosed room. But you are correct in that you can mitigate the loss somewhat by having your sub close to the listening position. The DTS-10 may come back in kit form. It's happened a couple of times already. You never know......biggrin.gif

post #13 of 51 Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM

Liked: 10
Dan,
I'm considering the UIW RLS II for my new install and was wondering if there is any reason not to use the UIW RLS II for the center channel as opposed to the UIW 75 you recommended? I'd prefer to have them all matching unless there is a reason not to...
post #14 of 51 Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The UIW RLS II is a fairly tall speaker that is supposed to run vertically. If you can place an acoustically transparent screen in front of the L/C/R in-walls (or if it's a fairly small screen, only place the center behind it) and use a projector (the best possible home theater solution), then install three RLS II's. Check out ack_bk's theater... that's what he did with the Def Tech's. An inspiration to us all. biggrin.gif

post #15 of 51 Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Use a UIW 65 for the center if the UIW 75 vertically mounted will not work realistically or aesthetically under your monitor (if it's of any help: Def Tech packages the 65 with their rls ii and rss ii in-wall bundle) and stick with the UIW rls ii's for the left and rights, and rss ii's for the wall surrounds.

Subwoofer-wise... I'd go with the Rythmik FV15hp for the best oomph in that room. The next best value of price vs. performance would be the HSU VTF-15h, which has about half the amp power of the FV15hp, but has a larger enclosure (don't know how that would sit with the WAF). The Rythmik is really fantastic, if you can swing it.

No, the 75 will fit. I may even be able to fit a RLS III if that would be better?

What about the F25? It's sealed but its two drivers at 400 instead of one at 600.
Quote:

Therein lies much of your problem. Since bass is omnidirectional its going to escape to the other rooms anyway. So you lose the bass energy to the other rooms that would normally be trapped in an enclosed room. But you are correct in that you can mitigate the loss somewhat by having your sub close to the listening position. The DTS-10 may come back in kit form. It's happened a couple of times already. You never know......biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to stay out of trouble. I've seen some of these subs smile.gif Well if it does then I may have to pick one up and then find a place for it.
post #16 of 51 Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait just one minute mister! On one hand you're trying to say you want to stay out of trouble, on the other hand you're looking at the F25. Really???!!! tongue.gif

JK. Seriously though, you won't be disappointed with the F25. That should be plenty for the vast majority of normal folks. Unfortunately, most of us here aren't normal.eek.gif

post #17 of 51 Old 06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the 75 will fit. I may even be able to fit a RLS III if that would be better?

What about the F25? It's sealed but its two drivers at 400 instead of one at 600.
Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to stay out of trouble. I've seen some of these subs smile.gif Well if it does then I may have to pick one up and then find a place for it.

The F25 would be bigger and badder, that's for sure! Since it's sealed, the bass would definitely be tighter too.

I'd probably stick with the 75 then since it'll timbre match better due to the same sized dual bass drivers as the RLS ii.

post #18 of 51 Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wait just one minute mister! On one hand you're trying to say you want to stay out of trouble, on the other hand you're looking at the F25. Really???!!! tongue.gif

JK. Seriously though, you won't be disappointed with the F25. That should be plenty for the vast majority of normal folks. Unfortunately, most of us here aren't normal.eek.gif

Yeah, and then I realized I was lying to myself biggrin.gif Besides, who wants reasonable?
And technically!, It's still just one speaker wink.gif
Quote:

The F25 would be bigger and badder, that's for sure! Since it's sealed, the bass would definitely be tighter too.

I'd probably stick with the 75 then since it'll timbre match better due to the same sized dual bass drivers as the RLS ii.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be done with this room by the end of the year. I have a ton of custom millwork to do and no time to do it. So pics to come I guess. Of course the speakers will be the first step biggrin.gif
post #19 of 51 Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I guess while we're here. Any preference on power conditioners?

Also, do you think I will need (or should) up the output to the speakers from the receiver?
post #20 of 51 Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Very, very few places actually need a power conditioner. If your electrical grid is old and prone to brown outs, you probably need one. If your electrical service is strong with no obvious power fluctuations, then a surge protector is really all you need. Power conditioners are one of those audiophile thingies that they try and convince everyone that its a must in any system. It's really not.

post #21 of 51 Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, power conditioner wasn't exactly what I was trying to say. My street is only 6 years old so is the electrical system. I don't need anything to cleanup the electricity. I was thinking more of a voltage regulator. Like a UPS?

Since you brought it up, what's your favorite surge protector?

We do have those "100 year storms" twice a year now though haha. And with that come some spikes and outages. mad.gif

In my bedroom I have a monster power center with the voltage readout and what not. I'm usually right around 120. 120 even with no load, during peak with everything on it may dip to 114/115 with a mostly white screen on the plasma. It's actually kind of fun to watch.
post #22 of 51 Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Belkin Pure AV makes one that is pretty cheap and should work just fine.

post #23 of 51 Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Monster products are not worth it for the money. First, look into a whole-house panel surge protector (your home owner's insurance policy may get a small discount by installing one). Then get something like a SurgeX or Brickwall unit that is non-sacrificial.

post #24 of 51 Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Monster products are not worth it for the money. First, look into a whole-house panel surge protector (your home owner's insurance policy may get a small discount by installing one). Then get something like a SurgeX or Brickwall unit that is non-sacrificial.
Thats a great idea.

post #25 of 51 Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Belkin Pure AV makes one that is pretty cheap and should work just fine.

I saw that, But it doesn't regulate. Wish I had bought that instead of my Monster HDP 2500
Quote:

Tell me about it. I know but it was in a pinch. What really stink is that the warranty on protected items is only 5 years. So 3.5 more years and it will be a glorified multi tap in the basement or garage.

I was planning on a whole house protector after our last storm took out an air handler, microwave and other things when a tree hit a transformer. And possibly a surge protected outlet as well. The surgex and brickwall look great. I will look into what they offer. Better safe than sorry. When it comes down ''damn i should have...'' its too late haha. tongue.gif
post #26 of 51 Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't need a regulated power supply.

post #27 of 51 Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You don't need a regulated power supply.

"Need" is a loose term here. Otherwise this forum wouldn't exist! tongue.gif

Anyone know what gauge the RLS2 can take? Can I do 10 or should I go down to 12? Hopefully not 14.
post #28 of 51 Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

How long is the distance between your AVR and your speaker? This will tell you what gauge you need.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

post #29 of 51 Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How long is the distance between your AVR and your speaker? This will tell you what gauge you need.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

About 35 feet will be my long runs. What I meant was what will physically fit into the speaker inputs since they're spring clamps.

I haven't measured but if I can fit them, would the RLSII be better than RSSII for surrounds? Or would the bi-directional arrangement of the RSS be better?

Also , I might as well open this can of worms. Solid or stranded wire? I've read plenty on both but nothing too conclusive. It wouldn't make a difference because my runs are relatively short. But just curious on opinions.
post #30 of 51 Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can fit the RLS II's I'd use them as surrounds instead. That way you'll really be ready for object-oriented audio, which is far more directional and may not work as well with speakers that try to diffuse the sound. Plus, the surround mixing calls for greater frequency response capabilities for the surround speakers.

Also great if you ever play multi-channel music discs.

Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , Klipsch R 5502 W Ii In Wall Speaker , Marantz Sr5008 , Klipsch R 5650 W In Wall System Rc 62ii Center
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page