Outdoor speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Location: St. Catharines (near Niagara Falls) Ontario, Canada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pardon the dumb question......but, is there such a product as wireless/networked speakers that I could just carry out to my backyard and have play the same iTunes feed that is going to my stereo receiver via Airport Express/Airplay?

I DO have A/C power outside and I would be "willing" to plug in for power if necessary......but want to avoid audio cables at all costs. (No more open windows with signal flying ONE way.....and mosquitoes flying the OTHER!!

Thanks for any tips/product suggestions.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
the portable stuff made more for outdoors tend to use Bluetooth technology rather than Airplay. If the Bluetooth supports Apt-x, it is supposed to sound as good as Airplay. If Bluetooth is an option for you, look at the Klipsch KMC3. If not, you may have to settle for something like a Sonos Play 5, Bose SoundLink, or some other overpriced/underperforming speaker.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

the portable stuff made more for outdoors tend to use Bluetooth technology rather than Airplay. If the Bluetooth supports Apt-x, it is supposed to sound as good as Airplay. If Bluetooth is an option for you, look at the Klipsch KMC3. If not, you may have to settle for something like a Sonos Play 5, Bose SoundLink, or some other overpriced/underperforming speaker.

Thanks for getting back.
I assume that the Bluetooth factor requires that either a PC or a Receiver involved would have to have some sort of Bluetooth feature built in?
None of my current gear has same.

Just thinking: what about taking an unused Airport Express (I DO have an "underutilized" one, believe it or not) and hook it up to my "good" Sony boombox, which has RCA audio inputs. The Airport AND the Sony would need A/C.......but, as I said, THAT much I DO have. :-)
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a very practical solution! Let us know if it works. I'm all for practicality and saving money where you can. Sonos does make a device for turning any stereo into an Airplay compatible device, but as that is hundreds of dollars itself, it's really hard to justify.

I bought a couple of these for work a while back and they do the job very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B002BDU95A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

The only problem is we paid $30 each on Amazon at the time, and it appears to be well over that now for some reason. Maybe find another brand?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I bought a couple of these for work a while back and they do the job very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B002BDU95A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
?

That looks cute! Probably would have done the job. (I assume the speakers would plug into the box-looking piece.)

Yeah, money is king when it comes to any of these solutions......so, I think I'll try the Airport for now. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks for your numerous 'options'!

Cheers,
m
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That sounds like a very practical solution! Let us know if it works. I'm all for practicality and saving money where you can. Sonos does make a device for turning any stereo into an Airplay compatible device, but as that is hundreds of dollars itself, it's really hard to justify.

The good news is..........it worked! The Airport Express plus ghetto blaster seems to be the way to go.

The bad news is.....it appears I SOLD my good portable stereo in a garage sale last year and forgot all about it!! Damn. Murphy's Law strikes again.
I did have a crappy old Philips shortwave radio kicking around that has RCA inputs on it that worked JUST well enough to confirm that the AE will do the trick.

But now I have to run an ad on Kijiji to try an pick up someone else's "junk" in the form of a boom-box just like the one I sold. (I'll probably pay twice what I got, but........such is life.)

Over and out!!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome, glad it worked. Sometimes we don't think ahead with these things smile.gif I guess the good thing is that it can't be too hard to find a decent stereo with RCA inputs.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page