Need advice on buying my first system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-27-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm new to buying sound systems and could use some advice.

I'm looking to get two speakers and subwoofer with about $250. What would be the best bang for my buck? Also, any amplifier/receiver advice would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 102
My general advice would be for you to get some 2-way bookshelf speakers that would be of decent quality, and don't get a sub. The reason is that almost any small sub is going to run you about $100, leaving you with a pair of $150 speakers. Most of the full range of sound will come out of your main speakers, not the sub, so go there first.

http://www.frys.com/product/7237393?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #3 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1 on skipping a sub with that budget.

Some commonly recommended speakers in the $250 budget range ...
Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf - $220 a pair.
Pioneer SP-FS52 tower - $250 a pair.

The Pioneer will play louder and just a bit lower, but the S30's will have a better, more detailed sound overall.

If you can bump up to a $300 budget the Ascend CBM-170 SE and Arx A1b are commonly recommended and well respected bookshelf speakers at that price point. (There is a dedicated thread comparing those two in the forum.)

All the speakers listed above would work fine on their own, and, would sound excellent with the addition of a sub later. Also, if you decide to expand to 5.1 later all these speakers have centers/surrounds that are currently available.

There are also some Infinity speakers commonly recommended in this price range but I don't remember which models. I've never heard them so can't recommend either way wink.gif
post #4 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Focus on the speakers and then look on your local craigslist for a subwoofer. Chances are most subs, even the cheaper or smaller ones, will help round out the sound from your speakers. There are usually good bargains to be had on the used market. Even speakers could be found.

What is your local Craigslist?

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #5 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Okay, I guess I'll be the bad guy here. biggrin.gifYou really should look at increasing your budget and starting with just the basic two speakers and then adding from there. Scrimp and save to do so, but you will be soooooooooo much happier with the choices in quality (build as well as sound) that open up to you.

What do you like to listen to? Movie/music ratio? How large is your room? Do want to end up with a full 7.1 or 9.1 system in the end? This will help get the ball rolling.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $349 from Music Direct.

They will sound about 500% better than anything you can get for $250.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am building a system the same way. I decided to go with Polk RTI series speakers, so will buy a pair of A3 first, which I will use as fronts and then when I can afford the A9, will push the A3 to the rear. At some point I will buy an A6 center, which does not fit my TV cabinet, but I am not going to compromise on sound because of that. I will just buy a new TV cabinet that can support at A6 center. Anyway, I think the point everyone is trying to make is figure out what you ultimately want in the end, and invest the money you can afford on the components you can afford in that set. Eventually, you will have your ultimate home theater, rather than a compromised system that you didn't really want.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

What is your local Craigslist?

My local craigslist is in Pittsburgh

My room is about 166 sq-ft. A dorm room. I think in the end I'll want a 5.1 system, but I'll wait a long while for that. It will be used for music about twice as much as for movies and television and I mostly listen to hip-hop, rap, and electronic music with some alternative and indie rock thrown in. I'd be willing to push to $300 but I also need to get a amplifier and would like to stay under ($400).
post #9 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgood View Post

My local craigslist is in Pittsburgh

My room is about 166 sq-ft. A dorm room. I think in the end I'll want a 5.1 system, but I'll wait a long while for that. It will be used for music about twice as much as for movies and television and I mostly listen to hip-hop, rap, and electronic music with some alternative and indie rock thrown in. I'd be willing to push to $300 but I also need to get a amplifier and would like to stay under ($400).

If this is anything good (Velodyne is a good brand, and perfect for that type of music and bass):

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/ele/3804442240.html

Fits your budget and includes receiver. Would leave you room to improve later.

If I were just doing a dorm setup, I would get something like this:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/app/3832729021.html

This gives you two towers that have subs inside of them, and so there would be almost no need for a subwoofer. You would just need to get a receiver.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #10 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Take a look at frys they sometimes sell the infinity 363 for $200/pair. This is about as good of a deal as youll find.

http://www.frys.com/product/6878376?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
post #11 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Also, just a note, I want speakers that will last me at least the next 5 years until I'm out of college but I don't need the highest end quite yet. My father is very into high quality sound (he pointed me here) which is why I am but I won't need a supreme quality system for quite a while.
post #12 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd go to accessories4less.com and get their refurbed AVRs:
DENON AVR-1312 $130 (+ shipping)
Onkyo TX-NR414 $180 (free shipping)

Then with my lefover $$$ I'd grab some speakers used off e-bay (or craigslist, or audiogon, or here, or wherever!).

If your dorm room has moments like mine did, then anything too expensive at this stage is "asking for trouble".
post #13 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Does your Dad have any "hand me downs"....anything stored away somewhere?

Along with all the other suggestions, if you want something you can live with for your life in college, get out to do some listening to what is available around you.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #14 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

He gave me an old onkyo surround system for my high school dorm and they were wonderful but i had to get rid of them due to some unfortunate circumstances.
post #15 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Also, just a note, I want speakers that will last me at least the next 5 years until I'm out of college but I don't need the highest end quite yet. My father is very into high quality sound (he pointed me here) which is why I am but I won't need a supreme quality system for quite a while.

That's a great deal on the LSI15 speakers in Shadyside. If you were interested, I would listen to them first to make sure they are functional. Those would last you for a while, but they do need some power to get them going. Having a built in sub in each speaker is a plus.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That's a pretty shady price on the Shadyside Polks. Pretty big, and pretty power hungry, for dorm speakers.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

That's a pretty shady price on the Shadyside Polks. Pretty big, and pretty power hungry, for dorm speakers.

But if it's a lucky steal and they work, they would be AWESOME! Way more defined sound than anything else in the dorm :P

post #18 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Would speakers like the Cambridge Minx Min 21s (maybe not as costly) and a subwoofer be as effective or as affordable as two bookshelf speakers? And would it be harder to match a receiver?

And I think I'll go listen to the Polks in shadyside as soon as I get back in town next week.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Would speakers like the Cambridge Minx Min 21s (maybe not as costly) and a subwoofer be as effective or as affordable as two bookshelf speakers?
Cambridge Audio recommends a crossover of 140Hz for those speakers. The potential problem with setting a crossover that high is that you start to "localize" the subwoofer. IMO, you should look for speakers that will accomodate a crossover no higher than 80-100Hz (the lower the better).
post #20 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Cambridge Audio recommends a crossover of 140Hz for those speakers. The potential problem with setting a crossover that high is that you start to "localize" the subwoofer. IMO, you should look for speakers that will accomodate a crossover no higher than 80-100Hz (the lower the better).

Agreed. Most decent subs only go up to 120Hz-140Hz anyways, so you'd have a gap in frequency.

Just remember, cabinet size, woofer size, and ports/sealed all contribute to how low a speaker gets. If you get tiny speakers they will have tiny "tinny" sound. For the music you specified, you will want something with some bass punch to it.

post #21 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Go with a pair of HSU Research HB-1 bookshelves and add a sub later. Since you're in college, they'll also play loud and clean without sounding harsh like Klipsch speakers. And they're refined enough so they'll last you a few years.

post #22 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Okay, I guess I'll be the bad guy here. biggrin.gifYou really should look at increasing your budget and starting with just the basic two speakers and then adding from there. Scrimp and save to do so, but you will be soooooooooo much happier with the choices in quality (build as well as sound) that open up to you. .

What size budget would you recommend for 2 speakers and a subwoofer?
post #23 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What size budget would you recommend for 2 speakers and a subwoofer?

For something that will last a while and really satisfy you... in all seriousness... around $800 to $1,000 for quality budget speakers and a subwoofer. This comes from experience.

An example would be Ascend Acoustics' CMT-340 SE's (on sale with free stands right now) and a Rythmik LV12R sub for $1,068 plus shipping. It would be less if you can find the Klipsch RW-12d sub around the $300 mark (not quite as good, though, but still better than some at that price). Newegg has finally stopped carrying their overstock on these subs, however.

You could do Ascend Acoustic's smaller bookshelf CBM-170's up front with the same Rythmik budget sub for $858 plus shipping. Then move them to the surround locations and get the CMT-340 SE's as fronts later.

Also look at Arx (at theaudioinsider.com) and Aperion Audio's website for other great bang vs. buck speakers.

Or... also consider the HSU's I mentioned above in the lower price category.

Just some examples.

Buy cheap and you get cheap and then you get to buy all over again. That's the home theater game you learn over time.

post #24 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM

Liked: 13
so i see you listen to bass heavy music, so you will need speakers with alot of bass. my expertise!! haha but really get cerwin vegas off crags list

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/3822821672.html these will satisfy you. they are small, have good bass, and have clear mids and highs.

so get this receiver http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4109-Stereo-Receiver-Black/dp/B000MBUSD6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369785155&sr=8-2&keywords=sherwood+stereo+receiver

and this sub http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369785195&sr=1-2&keywords=dayton+audio+subwoofer

that should do if you cant tell, i love cerwin vega and i dont see a point in buying audiophile speakers. its not what i like listening to... i want power and authority behind my music and movies. i think the vs80s will deliver loud good bass for their size and price.

good luck!

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
post #25 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

... Buy cheap and you get cheap and then you get to buy all over again. That's the home theater game you learn over time.
+1

Your best "investment" might be something similar to this ...
Quote:

... You could do Ascend Acoustic's smaller bookshelf CBM-170's up front with the same Rythmik budget sub for $858 plus shipping. Then move them to the surround locations and get the CMT-340 SE's as fronts later ...
Other bookshelf speakers that would be respectable LR mains for now and later would make excellent surrounds ...
At $250 or less - Cambridge Audio S30, HSU HB-1
At $300 - Ascend CBM-170, Arx A1b

Speakers that would be good LR mains long term and easy to fill out later into a nice surround system ...
At $500 - Ascend CMT-340, KEF Q300

Least expensive subs you would likely keep long term are in the $500-$650 range (most anything from Rythmik, HSU, SVS, Outlaw.) The Klipsch RW12D "was" a maybe when you could find it for under $300, but it's hard to find under $400 now and IMO not worth it. The SVS PB-1000 for $500 might be the new go-to "budget" sub until something else shows up ...
post #26 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

+1

Your best "investment" might be something similar to this ...
Other bookshelf speakers that would be respectable LR mains for now and later would make excellent surrounds ...
At $250 or less - Cambridge Audio S30, HSU HB-1
At $300 - Ascend CBM-170, Arx A1b

Speakers that would be good LR mains long term and easy to fill out later into a nice surround system ...
At $500 - Ascend CMT-340, KEF Q300

Least expensive subs you would likely keep long term are in the $500-$650 range (most anything from Rythmik, HSU, SVS, Outlaw.) The Klipsch RW12D "was" a maybe when you could find it for under $300, but it's hard to find under $400 now and IMO not worth it. The SVS PB-1000 for $500 might be the new go-to "budget" sub until something else shows up ...

Yes! Good budget choices.

post #27 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Also, just a note, I want speakers that will last me at least the next 5 years until I'm out of college (snip!).

Ahem. Five years? I presume this means you are planning on making your freshman year the best two years of your life? tongue.gif
+++

Some things to consider: As a freshman, you are going to be living in a dorm your first (we hope) year. You really can't crank things up in the dorm, so some nice headphone might actually be a better idea for you. A stereo system might be a better fit your second year, when you get an apartment. If you insist on listening to music LOUD, well, that's what frat houses are for.

The other thing I would suggest is that your roommate or roommates might be bringing a stereo. Check with your potential roommies and see who is bringing what.

I would also tell you that college is letting out now. This is usually a good time of year to get used stuff from other students who are moving out who need to sell fast and cheap. You've obviously got Pitt and Duquesne to pick from , and the University of Southern Pennsylvania at Morgantown (also known as West Virginia University) is about a 45 minute drive from Pittsburgh.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #28 of 30 Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

Ahem. Five years? I presume this means you are planning on making your freshman year the best two years of your life? tongue.gif
+++

haha. I'm going into my Junior year and I'm the RA so I have a single. I listen to music at all time and like to play music out loud rather than in headphones. I've been considering just getting a really nice pair of headphones as well though. It's just also easier to host friends and just relax all around with speakers rather than headphones.

But as a general question, are there any speakers out there that I can get that would have enough bass for me not to need a subwoofer? A friend of mine got pair of krk rokit 8s and they sounded great. I was just wondering if there were alternatives, hopefully with a sleeker look?
post #29 of 30 Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Serious bass comes from either very high quality drivers or very large drivers. Speakers with sleeker lookd usually cost more. Studio monitors are usually very generic looking. The krk rokit 10-3 were just reviewed at a recent avs get together. There was nothing but praise for them. The 10-3 are a completely different beast than any of the other rokits due to it being a true 3 way design and being tri-amplified. These speakers cant hit some very impressive volumes even though the amplifiers are rather small. The 10-3 have a usful output to roughly 30hz which is what you will need for music unless you like pipe organs. Pipe organs will need sub 20hz output.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

haha. I'm going into my Junior year and I'm the RA so I have a single. I listen to music at all time and like to play music out loud rather than in headphones. I've been considering just getting a really nice pair of headphones as well though. It's just also easier to host friends and just relax all around with speakers rather than headphones.

But as a general question, are there any speakers out there that I can get that would have enough bass for me not to need a subwoofer? A friend of mine got pair of krk rokit 8s and they sounded great. I was just wondering if there were alternatives, hopefully with a sleeker look?

The rokit speakers look pretty good, but the motto here is there is no replacement for displacement. The only speakers that will deliver reasonable bass without a sub would be speakers with 12 inch drivers in a good sized box. Or tower speakers with 6.5 inch drivers and a good amp. You can purchase small subs ( with an 8 to 10 inch driver) that will produce good bass without breaking the bank.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Cambridge Audio S30 Speakers Dark Oak Pair , Ascend Acoustics Cbm 170 Se , Denon Avr 1312 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Polk Audio Lsi15 Left Channel Tower Speaker Single Cherry , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Ascend Acoustics Cmt 340 Se Center
Gear in this thread - Nr414 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page