5.2 or 7.2 for movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I want to know if 7.1 or 7.2 is necessary for movies since the majority of movies are 5.1. I have only one movie that is 7.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
It's more dependent on the size of your room. The larger rooms do better with 7.1 assuming all other factors remain the same.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
From a content standpoint ... Over the last two-to-three years 7.1 has become the default mix for feature films (including re-mastered editions of older movies). Most Blu-Rays will have a 7.1 mix. Older movies and DVD's will most likely be 5.1 or 2.0 mixes. (Almost no movies are natively mixed in 9.1, and 9.1 will probably be leap-frogged by a new format like Dolby Atmos, or something we haven't even heard of yet.)

But as flyng_fool said your room/seating is the primary factor ... If you have a small room, or the seating is against the back wall then 7.1 will be problematic and you won't lose anything using 5.1 (7.1 needs ample distance between the side-surrounds and the back-surrounds).
post #4 of 6 Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You basically asked 2 questions. If you're asking if adding a 2nd subwoofer will benefit your movie experience, YES. It might help even more than switching to 7 channels if your room is small (like the others said). If you have a receiver that has 7.1 capabilities, why not borrow some speakers from a friend to try it out and then if it sounds better to you then purchase 2 more speakers of your choice.

Like I said before, if you have 2 subs (even if they aren't the best out there) you will get a better bass response in the room, and better balance in the sound. Movies do really well with bass and having that presence or fullness helps more than having more channels.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

If you have a small room, or the seating is against the back wall then 7.1 will be problematic and you won't lose anything using 5.1 (7.1 needs ample distance between the side-surrounds and the back-surrounds).

Hi, typically, what's the ideal distance between the sides and the back surrounds that would make the 7.1 work properly, can you elaborate please?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
3ft minimum distance behind the MLP for rear surrounds. My surrounds are directly to my sides and my rears are on the rear wall about 6ft behind me. I like that distance, its close enough that it still allows for seemless panning around the room, but its also far enough away that you can distinguish sounds between the side surrounds and the rear surrounds. If you are sitting up against the back wall the normal opinion is that rears are a waiste.

Shawn
Reply Speakers